Development news : AAO goes open-source NOW !

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Development news : AAO goes open-source NOW !

Post by Unas »

Well, I let you judge of what you consider a big development or not :-P

The idea behind this sentence is : don't assume that your code will systematically be accepted. You should probably avoid spending a lot of time on something if I don't even agree on the principle ;-)

Now, hotkeys I have nothing against, on the contrary that's the kind of stuff I'd like to see added. But it can be tricky to integrate cleanly in the code ^^
You're welcome to give it a try ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Well...I have this proof of concept?
I kind of tried to match your code quality...and I'm thinking just hotkeys for the most commonly used stuff or something (haven't worked anything out yet, just wanted to see if I could do it). I'm kinda unsure so feedback would be nice XD

Edit: Actually this feels a bit off topic should this stuff be PM'd or maybe some new thing for general questions made instead?
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Finally we can do something about v6 ;)

Unas, I propose to create subforum dedicated to AAO development ;D
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

That was for the mocked install.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well kwando, for the moment I don't see any problem with that on my end. :-/

I'm not sure how it can happen actually. Your message basically complains that variable $user is empty, but the $user object is instatiated explicitly in my common.php mock.
Unless the mock itself is not called, this is weird.

What page are you trying to access when you get this error ? The index page ?
Did you copy the /mocked_install/config.php to /trunk/config.php directly ? No other edit ?

If the issue persists, can you check the details of your php installation ?
You can create a PHP page containing just

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
And then navigate to it.

I'd be interested in knowing :
- Your PHP version (mine says "PHP Version 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.18" ; 5.3.10 is the relevant part here)
- Whether you have an "sqlite3" section in this page (you need to have one for the mocked db to work)

mercurialSK wrote:Well...I have this proof of concept?
I kind of tried to match your code quality...and I'm thinking just hotkeys for the most commonly used stuff or something (haven't worked anything out yet, just wanted to see if I could do it). I'm kinda unsure so feedback would be nice XD

Edit: Actually this feels a bit off topic should this stuff be PM'd or maybe some new thing for general questions made instead?
Certainly not PMs ! xD
I guess I'll have to create (or not ! :side: ) a new forum section about development.

Regarding your POC, it's pretty good, it's a clever way of adding this feature as a drop-in addon to the player without affecting the rest of the code too much.
I see a few problems with this approach though :
  • There is one player action that requests that the user type in some text (that is then stored in a variable). If he types an s or a c, these hotkeys will be triggered as well. Here it wouldn't be dramatic thanks to your visibility check (the skip button hotkey would not be triggered because it's hidden at this point, and switching the CE does not have a big impact), but still, that's not good.
  • If you want to create hotkeys for opening a piece of evidence, what will you do ? The evidence ID is not displayed on screen so you can't assign "hotkey 1 to block with evidence id 1", etc. You would have to think in a positional way (hotkey 1 to first evidence displayed, etc). It's more dynamic than just a fixed ID. :)
  • You will absolutely not be able to extend this approach to hotkeys in the editor, if we decide do.
    In the editor, buttons do not have a unique ID to map, since there are hundreds of identical buttons (as many as you have frames, etc.)
The last point may be ignored : due to the different nature of the player and editor, it's not unreasonable to have two completely different systems (the editor would need some kind of keyboard navigation, and therefore much more impact on the editor code itself).
However, the first point is blocking : the hotkey system has to be able to know if hotkeys are safe to use at this point or not.
One way of fixing the issue could be to check the origin of the keydown event : if it originates from a form element or something of the kind, it shouldn't be interpreted as a hotkey...

Those are just my thoughts though, if you have other ideas... :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, it was the index page. And I did copy the config over. Was quite confused myself why that was happening...

EDIT: Now that I'm back on my computer, I have php 5.5.8. And I do have a sqlite3 section.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Ah, you have a much more recent php version than me. IIRC, PHP 5.4 was a huge update, I wonder if they changed something about global variables handling in there. I'll have to check that, this could be the explanation.
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Ah, ok. I was wondering if that might have been the issue...

Should I downgrade my php for now? Or would it be better to wait for you to make an update first?

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Actually, there is something you could try.

After reading up a little bit, I think there might be a mistake in the code of my mock, but which I did't notice because of a php bug in my version ^^

In / mocked_install / phpbb_files / common.php
You should add the keyword "global" before all of my global variable assignments.

global $user = new user();
global $auth = new auth();
global $db = new db(__DIR__ . '/db.sqlite');
Tell me if this fixes it :-)
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Doing that gives me a new error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=', expecting ',' or ';' in C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-DevServer-14.1VC11\data\localweb\aao-game-creation-engine\mocked_install\phpbb_files\common.php on line 45

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

My mistake, I work in Java every day so I forgot that in PHP you couldn't declare and assign in the same statement... ^^

global $user;
$user = new user();
global $auth;
$auth = new auth();
global $db;
$db = new db(__DIR__ . '/db.sqlite');
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

No worries. I use Python for work so all this php stuff is weird for me. xP

Unfortunately, same error shows up, though.

<b>Notice</b>:  Trying to get property of non-object in <b>C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-DevServer-14.1VC11\data\localweb\aao-game-creation-engine\trunk\includes\UserDataHandler.class.php</b> on line <b>47</b><br />

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

So, it's not so simple as I thought...
Well, I'll see later then, it's high time I went to sleep now.

In the mean time, if you want to keep trying out stuff, you can try the full integrated install : in theory, phpBB is thoroughly tested to work in most php environments, so even if there is a mistake in the way I did the mock, I guess this mistake isn't present in the real deal. It doesn't take that long, and I believe easyphp enables you to setup a mysql database easily :-)
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, I might go do that...

I should be able to set up a full install on an easyphp server, right?

EDIT: Actually... You say to go through the installation process, but... What exactly should we be writing for the server info, anyways?

mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

A forum section would be neat.

Actually I didn't think of any of those points, just wanted to get into the code XD And forgot the player did have a form. That wouldn't be hard to check for. Thanks for the feedback :)

About hotkeying evidence...that wasn't what I had in mind anywhere but it would be neat though hm.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)