Development News: Someday on AAO is Here!

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Development News: Someday on AAO is Here!

Post by Enthalpy »

Someday on AAO is Here!
Two major announcements today.

1. Changes to AAO development cycle

It's no secret that AAO development has been stagnant. Time for that to change! Unas has recently made some behind-the-scenes changes that mean development can move forward! The highlights are as follows:
  • Enthalpy can now accept changes to the website, and when they are ready, send them to Unas to put them on to the site
  • Enthalpy can now make changes to music, sprites, ect.
  • Enthalpy is joined by kwando1313 and ThePasch, working on changes and reviewing others' changes
  • It's now possible to "test" changes to AAO before they go live
If you're interested in more technical details, see the topic in the Developer's Corner. We hope that forum will be more active soon. If you're interested in contributing, we'd love to see you there!

2. Changes to AAO server

It's no secret either that, since AAO was forced to move to a new server a year ago, the ride hasn't been extremely smooth, with regular unrecoverable crashes that left the site down until Unas was able to issue a manual restart action.
After a year spent trying to investigate the issue and tweak settings with little to no effect, Unas has decided this June to take measures against that.

Since even the latest attempt to fend off the issue, by setting up an additional server mid-June to absorb part of the load, has failed to prevent crashes from occurring, Unas suspects some kind of hardware fault and a full move to a different server is required to try to get away from it.
The new server was chosen and installed last night. It will in theory offer more performance (with twice the amount of RAM and thrice the CPU cores), even though part of this power is shared - as it is also a virtualised environment (instead of the current server which is a fully dedicated machine).

The move of AAO data should take place tonight or tomorrow (ie some time between June 29th 8 PM CEST and June 30th 6PM CEST).
During the actual move, which should last for around two hours (more or less), AAO will be unavailable. But with that we hope to get a more stable environment for the Game Jam in July !
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Re: Development News: Someday on AAO is Here!

Post by Super legenda »

Would be nice having some places from DD and SOJ, and also sprites.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Super legenda wrote:Would be nice having some places from DD and SOJ, and also sprites.
I think many of the assets from DD (I'm not sure about SoJ), have been ripped as sprites, so this may be plausible now. I'd need to look into it more to give a definite answer on whether this is possible.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Great! That would make some things easier.
Also, the AA wiki have some character sprites from SOJ (like Nahyuta) iirc
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I took the liberty of updating the announcement with one of my own.

In light of all issues we've been having with AAO's current server, and in a last ditch effort to get a stable platform in time for the July Game Jam, I'll be moving AAO to a new server over the weekend.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Liar !!!
ImageImage Image Image Image
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Thank you, Unas!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Unas wrote:I took the liberty of updating the announcement with one of my own.

In light of all issues we've been having with AAO's current server, and in a last ditch effort to get a stable platform in time for the July Game Jam, I'll be moving AAO to a new server over the weekend.
Here's hoping this works.
IUndercoverTroll
Spoken languages: English

Post by IUndercoverTroll »

From now on, please use the http://www.aaonline.fr address to access Ace Attorney Online. Please update your bookmarks !
No other consequence from that part : your AAO experience will remain exactly the same on the new address.
-Unas, before the server crashed 50 times
Still appreciate the work on the site you do though.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

The move is complete.
As usual, it took a bit longer than planned, but it seems to have gone smoothly.

Please let me know if you notice any new issue on the new server !

EDIT : 9 hours later, it seems everything is stable, and in addition performance is a lot better than the previous server.
That's a good thing : this one costs me twice as much, and took a lot of time to set up, so... :-)
Let's hope that the smooth sailing continues !
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
nahu0093
Spoken languages: Español y algo de ingles

Post by nahu0093 »

Well, those changes promise a solution to our problems
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Since are sprites... What about AAI 1 and 2 characters?
Esrom
Spoken languages: English

Post by Esrom »

Super legenda wrote:Since are sprites... What about AAI 1 and 2 characters?
I wouldn't mind seeing sprites for all AAI characters that also appear in AA 1-3 (Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Franziska, Lotta Hart, Will Powers, etcetera). Some of the AAI sprites, incidentally, might also work as bench sprites or co-council sprites. Back in V5, some people already were able to make Jacques Portsman sprites work with the courtrooms. (And now it's even easier to do that with all the positioning features and so on).

Music tracks I wouldn't mind seeing:

Non-spoilery Duel Destinies

All courtroom music (Court opening, testimony musics, objections, and so on)

The equivalents to 'Eccentric', 'Interesting People', and so on that aren't explicitly tied to just one character

Backgrounds I wouldn't mind seeing:

AAI backgrounds such as 'all prosecutor's office area' backgrounds, Gatewater Land, and all the 'Exploring the Courthouse' backgrounds from the flashback case 4. Also, the full courtroom backgrounds from AAI2 (great for a different courtroom view, and an alternative to the AA 1-3 and AA 4 courtrooms).

Dual Destinies courtroom designs

Young Valant and Young Trucy sprites (from AA 4 flashbacks)

Pop-ups and sound effects:

Not so fast! (pop-up and Lang's voice)

Eureka!
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

I'm pretty sure Eureka is already a popup.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

It's a popup, but there isn't the sound effect.