New forum theme

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

New forum theme

Post by Meph »

New forum theme
We are coming closer and closer to the date that AAO 6 will be released. We still have a while to wait until it's done, but some components are already done. One of these components is the AAO 6 forum theme, which has been released today! It has been made to match the appearance of AAO 6 pages.

The new theme is a not-so-simple modification of the default phpBB theme. It has been changed drastically to take advantage of new CSS properties and a few HTML5 elements. CSS is the code used to control the appearance and layout of a Web page. These new properties will, in theory, allow pages to download quicker, because simple images for rounded corners, gradients and shadows don't have to be downloaded.

The theme is done, but there may be a few bugs. If you find any, please report them in this thread. Also, I'd like to know if there are any things that need tweaking. One thing I want to know in particular is whether or not the text is to big or small in some areas.

Try it now and tell me what you think!
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: Another site redesign!

Post by Broocevelt »

I will be using the AAO6 theme during one whole week just to give a better feedback of it.
I may get used to it, for the moment I'm not 100% pleased with the change but oh, well...

However, there is a major flaw which is very important.
The case is, I usually have lots of trials (and I guess I would be the one with the most trials if I hadn't done a clean-up not so long ago. I almost had 70-80 trials, 60 unreleased). On the reduced trial manager, when you hover past the 15th trial (that is, reaching the French forum box), the reduced trial manager closes back.
That means users can't access their 15>tḥ trials from the reduced trial manager.
I'm using Firefox 3.6.17 from an Ubuntu, but I guess that doesn't make the difference.

I also noted the font size of the post is awkwardly bigger than the posts in Avalon.
Meph

Re: New forum theme

Post by Meph »

Thanks. That'd be a big help. :) I think I know how to fix that bug, so I'll work on that now.

There's a few problems with the theme at the moment. The links to unread forums and threads aren't changing colour to blue when they should.

Also, I'll try using a different font, and I'll change it so that a big font is only used on very big screens.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Tried it. It's very nice, runs smoothly (except from what I've seen, it takes far longer than it should to load spoiler tags). I'll still be sticking with the all-powerful Avalon, but this theme is nice and it works ;)
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

There looks to be a really disturbing bug with the font. I mean a disturbing bug for other sections. :awesome:
See by yourselves :
Spoiler : :
The accents are not put on the good letter, instead of this they go on the character just before and the result is quite... peculiar.
I don't know how this is possible as some letters are not even supposed to bear accents, like t or k.

Except this the theme is quite cool, way too colorfull and loaded for me to use but this is subjective.

Edit : I seem to be the only one to have this problem. O_O
ImageImage Image Image Image
Meph

Post by Meph »

SuperGanondorf wrote:Tried it. It's very nice, runs smoothly (except from what I've seen, it takes far longer than it should to load spoiler tags). I'll still be sticking with the all-powerful Avalon, but this theme is nice and it works ;)
You'll have to explain to me what you mean, Ganon. The contents of a spoiler tag are loaded with the rest of the page, so they can't take longer to load.
Kroki wrote:There looks to be a really disturbing bug with the font. I mean a disturbing bug for other sections. :awesome:
I'm switching the font to Verdana, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future. ;)

Hopefully the recent changes that I've made will improve things a lot for everyone. There are some bugs in the current theme at the moment that could understandably put people off. I've already fixed them, but I'm just waiting for Unas to get back from Zurich so that he can upload them.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Some people complained about the new message notification not being flashy enough to be noticed, the same for pm, the font size is a recurring comment also.
Many find the theme unhinging but very AA and like it. :)
ImageImage Image Image Image
Meph

Post by Meph »

The font size has already been fixed, and hopefully Unas will be able to upload it to the server, soon. :)

As for the notification system in Avalon, I don't know how it's done. I'll have to download it and try to copy it.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Odd, the spoiler problem fixed itself. Probably just used a slow connection yesterday (I'm jumping from hotel to hotel, so connection speeds vary). Oh well. It's a nice theme and it runs smoothly.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Meph

Post by Meph »

Ah, that's good, then. :XD:

Also, I've found out how to do PM notifications. They will be in the next update.
Meph

Post by Meph »

The theme has received some big updates since I posted this announcement. Give it another try, everyone, and tell me what you think. :)
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I quite like it now. It's a bigger improvement from before.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Phoenix Fanatic
Spoken languages: English,French, Welsh, Spanish, German

Post by Phoenix Fanatic »

Loving the new theme Meph! :D
Good Job :wink:
Image awesome signature and avatar made by gotMLK7 :D
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

I like it! I think I'll start using it now. :nod:
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.