[M] 'Unlisted' trial visibility.

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

OlivierTheOlive
Spoken languages: English

[M] 'Unlisted' trial visibility.

Post by OlivierTheOlive »

A quick suggestion: 'Unlisted' visibility option for your trial - instead of only public/private. This would be like the unlisted option on YouTube and Pastebin, or like the 'secret' option on GitHub Gists.

Anyone with the link would be able to access it, but it wouldn't be shown on any lists.

Why? / Usecases

Perhaps I want to share a trial I'm working on with a friend who doesn't have an account, or maybe it's a quick something I made for a demonstration and I don't want it to appear as a trial on the http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/search.php search page.

Cheers.
Reverie

Re: [M] 'Unlisted' trial visibility.

Post by Reverie »

This might be relevant, if we're talking about the same thing.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well it's the same request but for different reasons.

I answered Spyromed's negatively because I think there are better ways to handle the issue with series.

The concern about sharing is different... The problem with keeping trials private but viewable is that I lose all control on what is shared.
It has been used in V5 to create cases that would not comply to the rules (without my permission) but would be shared to a private community, and I'd never know about it until chance led me to it.
I can't allow that, as the rules apply to all the content that I host on AAO unless I give specific derogations.
It's partly with that in mind that I restricted viewing permissions in V6 (and set up the playtesters system instead to allow people to playtest during development).

It could change at some point, but right now I'm not planning to.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah apparently some folks on AAO wanted to make a "private" trial to diss me a long time ago, but to this day have no idea if they ever actually did so :lol:
OlivierTheOlive

Post by OlivierTheOlive »

Unas wrote:Well it's the same request but for different reasons.

I answered Spyromed's negatively because I think there are better ways to handle the issue with series.

The concern about sharing is different... The problem with keeping trials private but viewable is that I lose all control on what is shared.
It has been used in V5 to create cases that would not comply to the rules (without my permission) but would be shared to a private community, and I'd never know about it until chance led me to it.
I can't allow that, as the rules apply to all the content that I host on AAO unless I give specific derogations.
It's partly with that in mind that I restricted viewing permissions in V6 (and set up the playtesters system instead to allow people to playtest during development).

It could change at some point, but right now I'm not planning to.
Thanks for your reply.
Fair enough, your reasoning is understandable.