Case Information to make people more motivated.

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Adbass
Spoken languages: English

Case Information to make people more motivated.

Post by Adbass »

I'm gonna cut the intro and just propose my idea.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a view count and/or rating system for fan cases? Obviously a comment section is debate-able, but I think it'd add a lot of steam to this site to implement the former, just so trial-makers knew how much their cases were enjoyed, instead of starting topics about it in the forums section.
Thanks for considering my question! :D
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Case Information to make people more motivated.

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm opposed to this. I want to see more discussion about cases on the forum. You can't have a conversation via comments. On the forum, you can usually talk to the authors.

Rating has the potential to be abused very easily. All it takes is a couple of trolls to lower a game's reputation into oblivion. This could also be discouraging for many new authors, who have yet to get into things. If an author really does want this information, it seems better to have a poll on their case thread. Responders there are more likely to have thought-out things to say.

I'm not directly opposed to case views, but I don't think this adds much. I believe v6 development would be abetter use of time.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Case Information to make people more motivated.

Post by Unas »

The possibility of creating "landing pages" for trials and series, with a summary and a little more information, has been discussed in the past, and I'm interested in implementing something of the kind some time in the future.

But so far my plan is more to make it possible to link a case or a series with a forum topic, so that the main place of discussion would still be the forums.
The landing page could display the first post of the topic, and maybe the result of the poll if any - and of course a link to the trial's thread on the forums.

As for page views, I've never thought it that useful either, but maybe.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )