[Suggestion] Auto-detect CR hotlinking

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

[Suggestion] Auto-detect CR hotlinking

Post by Ferdielance »

Would it be possible to have the editor or player detect when the user hotlinks images hosted on court-records, and give a friendly but firm suggestion not to do that? Or else to build a "do not hotlink" warning into the editor itself? Right now, an unfortunately high proportion of new trials break the hotlinking rules.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Phantom

Re: [Suggestion] Auto-detect CR hotlinking

Post by Phantom »

so like, if domain=court-records.net and ends with *insert format here*, don't load said hotlinks.

If it worked like that it wouldn't be a problem. But the point of custom assets on AAO is to hotlink away. So long as it's just CR that's being blocked and nothing else its cool
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Before we do that, I think we need to make it explicitly clear in the case creation rules before we put any autodetect feature. Right now, it's only covered in Your Art thread when it's really an AAO policy. We need this rule integrated into the site itself, not just Your Art. In fact, I don't see anything in the official rules or case creation rules ABOUT hotlinking.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Agreed. It's actually kind of odd that there isn't an official hotlinking policy in the rules... But oh well.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

As the guy who has to deal with most of the hotlinking, the bigger problem is hotlinking from Ace Attorney Wikia.

I'd be in favor of adding a sticky notice to Your Trials (with Unas's approval), and some in-editor functionality, be it a warning or blocking hotlinking from CR or the Wikia.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

kwando1313 wrote:Agreed. It's actually kind of odd that there isn't an official hotlinking policy in the rules... But oh well.
Well, as Phantom said, AAO's custom content system is entirely based on hotlinking because I'm not hosting anything, so I can't really make a rule against hotlinking.
What matters in these cases are the rules of the sites which are hosting the files. CR hotlinks are forbidden because of CR policy, not AAO policy.

So as far as the rules go, we can add a reminder that users should make sure that the site they use content from allows hotlinking, but I don't feel it's my place to say specifically what sites are allowed or not.

Regarding a technical filter for URLs in the editor, that's possible. I could have a blacklist of URLs to be filtered, and if the webmaster of a website notices a lot of unwanted hotlinking from AAO they could ask me to add their domain to the blacklist. That would make sense.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )