[F] Image Size Limits

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

[F] Image Size Limits

Post by mercurialSK »

This has kind of been on my mind for a while...

Would it be possible to have some kind of image size limits in posts or some kind of general rule to not post overly-large images? I'm mostly referring to the Your Art section mostly because some of the image sizes are fairly large and don't fit in a spoiler box. To look at them they need to be opened in a new tab. A lot of the time I don't think those dimensions are necessary especially since they bloat filesizes.

To be honest this is mostly because my internet is really bad.

A sig or avatar limit would be nice too but those can be disabled in the control panel so it's not too bad... although I remember some time ago seeing an approx 1500x2000 pic as an avatar which I think is really non-optimally crazy.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
lazyplague

Re: [F] Image Size Limits

Post by lazyplague »

Isn't there a limit for the size of avatars? Like, 200x250?
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Well... I just tried changing my avatar to this image just to check, and if there is it's not enforced.

It looks like what happens is that the site directly embeds the image link given and resizes via HTML. Which... makes me wonder about maybe extending the whole no-hotlinking rule too, because these forums do get a ton of hits.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I *think* there may be a way to mitigate this problem. I do believe phpbb has a forum plugin that allows one to insert a pic, but reduces the pic to "preview" size if it is above a certain filesize and/or dimension limit.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

That could work for posts, but it wouldn't enforce avatars would it? I dunno. I'm probably the only person affected by sizes anyway XD
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

About the avatar. It should be enforced, software wise. I'll check it out later to see if the software on the forum is enforcing it.

I rarely visit the art forum cuz any topic at any time can take a long time to load properly, even with FiOS, either due to too many pics or too large of a pic with huge ass file sizes.

Edit:
mercurialSK wrote:Well... I just tried changing my avatar to this image just to check, and if there is it's not enforced.

It looks like what happens is that the site directly embeds the image link given and resizes via HTML.
Actually, I just checked using that link. It IS being enforced by the software. I could not get that to be my avatar as is. No resizing, no embedding, just a full rejection. So it is being enforced by default by the software. (This is true for most forums).

Edit 2:
I was right. Such a plugin does exist for phpBB forums. This one does almost exactly what I had described.