Music Fade

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

VonKarmaPride
Spoken languages: English

Music Fade

Post by VonKarmaPride »

Could you add a feature that lets you fade out the music, and if it's already on, tell me where it is? Just having the music stop abruptly sounds really bad at some points...
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Music Fade

Post by Enthalpy »

That feature doesn't exist.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Hence why VKPride was suggesting it. :/ Like, I mean, this is what the Comments and Ideas section is for, right? Like, suggestionns for features which aren't already around?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

VonKarmaPride wrote:and if it's already on, tell me where it is?
That wasn't intended as a response to the suggestion.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Something that can help is to add at least one frame of silence in-between different tracks. Not perfect, but it's less jarring than directly switching from one track to another (although, there are a few tracks that blend surprisingly well, so the silent frame isn't as needed when switching between them).
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Regarding this suggested feature, would it be possible to add a fade out feature, hard coded to a specific length (say, one second)? Variable lengths could be something to look into in the future, since that would likely involve a UI change, but with a fixed length fade, you could treat it similarly to a "stop music" command.
Image Image Image
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

I feel the best way to implement this would be to add a checkbox to the music selection dialog that says "Fade", and an input box that designates the music's volume (defaulting to whatever is defined in the Music tab for a particular piece). To fade music, you'd then select a volume of 0 and check the Fade checkbox for the frame you'd like to music to fade out in. That would allow one to instantly change music volume, to set music volume independently from what a piece's default value is, and to fade to a lower volume and vice/versa instead of just fully fading in or out.

I don't think it would be too difficult to implement, but there's other things to take care of first.