[S][F]Markdown syntax on this forum

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

[S][F]Markdown syntax on this forum

Post by GanonZD »

I always disliked the heavy and (IMO) archaic BBcode syntax currently used on this forum. I'm a much greater fan of the lighter Markdown syntax. Google reveals that there do exist Markdown plugins for phpBB. Would it be possible to implement one of these? Obviously, this should be an option that can be turned on or off, just like BBcode currently is; it can be turned off directly in the full post editor.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [S][F]Markdown syntax on this forum

Post by kwando1313 »

Ugh no. I vastly prefer BBCode over Markdown.

[] are rarely used in writing things, while <> tags are more commonly used.

Besides, if it ain't broke, why do anything with it? BBCode is fine.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

BBcode is slow, heavy and cumbersome. Simply writing italic text takes an awful while. In Markdown, it's just *italic*.

However, as I mentioned, I only requested it as an option for those who prefer it; those who prefer BBcode could stick to that. There are already several such options in the Full editor, like turning off BBcode.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yes, but I like writing things like *HUG* and I use tildes a lot in my text. Markdown completely screws up all that.

In addition, it's not very explicit at all. It's completely unintuitive that *TEXT* means something. With TEXT it's very clear that that will do something because you've explicitly said for it to do something.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

That just means that we have different opinions about what is intuitive. Therefore, I suggest giving the user the choice. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.