[M] Allow control over collaborators

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

[M] Allow control over collaborators

Post by drvonkitty »

I have a suggestion when it comes to the trial manager. I think it'd be useful to allow the creator of a trial to control how much power a collaborator has over the trial meta-data. So if you have 2 people with equal authority over a trial, they could both have access over the meta-data. Likewise, if a collaborator was just there to do one specific thing and it wasn't really their trial, then that collaborator wouldn't be given access to the trial meta-data.

I imagine it would be in the form of a checkbox for the trial creator in the manager - like "Allow collaborators to edit metadata?" or something like that.

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [M] Allow control over collaborators

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd be in favor.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

I like the idea as well.

A related suggestion that could be considered: Allowing everyone registered on the forum (or perhaps those with permission) to make suggested edits. That is, they could open the trial, change something and "save" it; it would then be up to the author to accept or decline. The main purpose of this feature would be easier correction of typos: It is tedious to report typos in the forum, and hence it often doesn't happen. It is easier to make a suggested edit.

Of course, I am not suggesting that trials become Wiki-like multi-collaborator projects. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I don't think a checkbox to open metadata edition to all collabs is a good option.
If you go this way, at some point you're bound to have someone who wants to have some collabs with the permission to edit the metadata and some without, and so on.

At this moment, the permission to edit metadata is the key to all database operations : the methods to save changes to the metadata and to delete the trial are protected by this permission.
This permission is currently only granted to the trial owner and the admins.

At this point, I don't really want to store new information in the V5 database, so I don't really want to create configurable permissions. It might be a possibility for the future, though it seems kind of overkill to me.

What I could do would be to increase the permissions of collaborators so they can edit the title and language as well, for example. I don't like the idea too much because it requires finer permission control, hence a higher chance of mistakes. Currently, it's simple : the entry point to database updates is completely cut off from a simple collaborator; here, I'd have to allow or disallow each type of DB update independently.
But it's possible, if you tell me it's really useful. I'm still not convinced (changing the title and language or playable status is not something that will happen evey day while editing...)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, I'm in agreement with Unas here. I don't really see the need for more granular controls to... Edit metadata.

The distinction between playtesters and collabs is already the max level that should be necessary, IMO. Maybe there is a need for more, but.. I certainly can't find any off the top of my head.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Administrators? ;-)

Wait, there're already there with the power to change and delete everything with a single click.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

@ Unas: The specific problem that drove drvonkitty to post this topic (and the one I'm most concerned about) is that collaborators can't add playtesters. For me, everything else would be just a nice extra.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Yeah that's ^^^^^ really all I personally would like from this suggestion.