[P] Debugger Access for All Trial

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

[P] Debugger Access for All Trial

Post by kwando1313 »

Since permissions were brought up on another topic...

Would it be possible to give people permission to use the debugger on all trials? Currently, you can only do it with trials that you have owner/collabship on.

(I mean, you can bypass it pretty easily with javascript console shenanigans, but it's still slightly annoying to do it in that manner...)

I'm mostly asking this because when I play through trials, I like using the frame index and things like that to see what frames typos/things I liked were on, etc.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [P] Debugger Access for All Trial

Post by Unas »

Well : http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 11#p700811
Unas wrote:I could perfectly just enable the debugger on any trial (indeed, currently it's only available to the trial authors).
In fact, I specifically blocked it because it's a tool specifically designed for development and test of the trial, but clearly you're making a different use of it... I could remove that limitation, and enable the debugger for everyone if people agree.
So, I need people's opinions on this matter. :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

I agree. It makes no sense to restrict the debugger, but allow everyone to see the trial data. Again, if people want to cheat or mess up with the trial throw, it is their problem. Trial authors just have to make sure that the trial links on their trial pages do not link to the debugger.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I think it might have been suggested to have a "Report" button, where you can report errors and typos right in the player, with a PM to the author. This PM should also provide the author with the frame number and the state (value of variables etc.). Would that be possible?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Post by Calvinball »

Being able to activate the debugger would certainly be useful for playtesting purposes.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I also find debug mode useful for testing other peoples' cases, so I'd support a change.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Same here. It'd make SoC's a lot clearer.
Image Image Image
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

pretty much echoing the replies above
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I'm going to dissent here, I'd really prefer to be optional. It'd make one of my favorite things about v6 (the ability to make things impossible to reach as a normal player, i.e. releasing half a trial and still being able to write in the rest of it, just blocking it with an "end game" action) impossible to achieve. I would be adamantly against this unless it was optional.

Then again, if it's possible to just get it by going into javascript code, then yknow :(

I'd still oppose it, since you'd require know-how to do that.

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

drvonkitty wrote:Then again, if it's possible to just get it by going into javascript code, then yknow :(

But what doesn't require know-how to do is to just load up the editor instead of the player, which is entirely accessable as long as you have player access, and see all the spoilery deets that way - and much quicker, too.

So, yes, I vote for allowing anyone to use the debugger because it'd be SUPER useful, along with the ability to load the page without it too of course.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Reecer6 wrote:
drvonkitty wrote:Then again, if it's possible to just get it by going into javascript code, then yknow :(

But what doesn't require know-how to do is to just load up the editor instead of the player, which is entirely accessable as long as you have player access, and see all the spoilery deets that way - and much quicker, too.

So, yes, I vote for allowing anyone to use the debugger because it'd be SUPER useful, along with the ability to load the page without it too of course.
this is now my most unfavorite thing about v6

mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

What if there was just like an option that can display frame numbers on the right, only instead of all the debugger's options, or some kind of abridged version that only reports status instead of being directly modifiable? With full features only for playtesters etc.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That would be better for a playtester, as potential spoilers are still hidden... I'm curious how that would actually look.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Or better yet, just include the frame number and frame index in the default player, but don't allow anyone to use them to jump to other frames.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

If we wanted to do a minimalistic setup for playtesting, all we'd need is a frame ID, not even an index.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

We could use a more hidden approach: A button that, once clicked, shows the frame number, the position and the state (value of all variables) in plain text format. That would be useful when making error reports to the author of the trial: You could just include that report in the error report. See also my related suggestion.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.