[P][E?] Adding default sfxes to buttons

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

[P][E?] Adding default sfxes to buttons

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Maybe because I've been playing with PyWright for too long, but I think there's something missing on the Player end. In the games, every time you click/press a button, there's an sfx. There's an sfx for when you click the big button/advance button. When you click on an option (for multiple choice prompts or even investigation prompts), there's an sfx. When you click on evidence you want to present, there's an sfx. When you click on the back button, there's an sfx.

I know PyWright now has default sfxes for when you click on buttons. IIRC, even PWLib does this as well.

I just find it a little jarring that there's missing sfxes. But before this idea can be implemented, do you think this should be implemented?
Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Re: [P][E?] Adding default sfxes to buttons

Post by Calvinball »

If by "do you think this should be implemented?" you mean you're asking the community, then yes, I'd really like that. It'd make things feel a touch more authentic. Of course, it's not really mandatory, either, and I'm not missing a whole lot by not having them. So if it's simple to do so, sure. If it's not, let's focus our efforts elsewhere on something with a little more demand and need.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I think this would be a welcome addition. It's one of the biggest things that's in the AA games but isn't possible (at least not easily) in AAO.

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I personally don't like sfx when clicking a button. I like it nice and silent. I think though, it'd be nice to have a toggle-able option of whether you want it on or not.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Even I agree this isn't a major addition. Just putting another idea out there.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I don't have a problem with it, and it should be fairly simple to do if someone wants to try developing it.
(as long as we're only talking about default sounds here - customisable ones could be a good idea but would come much later on, when we actually start taking care of UI customisation overall)

But of course there would be an option to disable it.

Now, does anyone have the mp3s for these sounds ?
(and if they change from one game to the other, then preferably the AA1~3 ones, since that's the current design of the player)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

The default sfxes for those buttons are the same for all the games save for PLvsAA and DD.
Arivenzys
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Arivenzys »

I found a liitle while ago a bundle with all AA sounds that could be used. Would you like me to put them somewhere ?

Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I don't think they change from game to game (at least from GS1-3 to 4, anyway.)

I'd direct link a few of the mp3s converted, but... kiwi6 is down.
Anyway, the "general SFX" here has a bunch of the necessary ones. Cancel is cancel, obviously, "pichoop" is the standard advancement... they're probably all there.

(i'd also like to say - if this is implemented, please let it be optional, as kwando said)
Last edited by Reverie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

In this case, we're asking for the ones that are used as default sounds. We do not need all of them.

What we do need are the following:
  • Confirm. For when you select an option in multiple choice prompts and for investigation buttons. Also used when the check button is clicked. Also used for presenting evidence in investigation mode.
  • Cancel. For when the back button is clicked on.
  • bloop. The sfx used when the player clicks the advance button.
  • Blink. For when the player selects a piece of evidence he wants to present. It shows the evidence metadata and description on the bottom screen.
  • Scroll. When the player switches the mode on the CR (Evidence to Profiles, and vice versa).
EDIT: Apparently I'm using PyWright names. They've got slightly different names on CR.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Ah well, thanks ED ! I was precisely about to say that we needed to know exactly what should be played for each given button, so that the one who will take on the task of implementing that can go straight to it without spending hours playing the games again or watching let's plays... but you posted before me.

If you can update with the name of the corresponding files in the CR archive it's perfect :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I was going to edit the old post, but that'll probably get scrolled past, so...

Following ED's naming above: (His name - Name in the CR compilation)

Confirm - Selectblip2
Cancel - Cancel
Bloop - Pichoop
Blink - Selectblip
Scroll - Bleep or Scroll, both seem the same.
Last edited by Reverie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arivenzys
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Arivenzys »

I have them, they just are in .wav instead of .mp3. I usually host my sounds on dropbox, but you may want them somewhere else.
If hosting is still needed.

E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

@Unas, That's because I've done this for PyWright :P

If anyone wants to do this project, again like Perceive suggestion, I'll leave it up to whoever wants to do it. I personally think attaching sounds to buttons is a relatively simple project compared to others that might be going on, but what the hell do I know? :P