[S] Measures To Prevent "Attorney Online" Mistaken Identity

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

[S] Measures To Prevent "Attorney Online" Mistaken Identity

Post by Calvinball »

Seeing as Ace Attorney Online has been mistaken for the roleplay site "Attorney Online" on numerous occasions, it might be a good idea to add some text to the homepage to the effect of "No affiliation with the roleplay site 'Attorney Online.'"
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [S] Measures To Prevent "Attorney Online" Mistaken Ident

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd be in favor of that. It'll need to be multilingual, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Right after the line, "No download, no hassle - just sign up and start writing your own game from your favourite web browser !" maybe?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Aw, but I have so much fun quoting my post over and over again, telling people this is AAO, not Attorney Online! D:

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Not mentioning the fact that the aceattorneyonline.com domain has been bought by Attorney Online, not helping in the least with the confusion...
I guess we should clarify that indeed.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Huh. How come you never got the aceattorneyonline.com domain name?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Try to buy it from him if possible.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

@kwando : Because I didn't care so much about the domain name. Originally, I didn't want to pay for AAO, and I was hosted for free by sparklin and got the subdomain from them as well. Later on, I started getting a paid hosting because that was needed to cope with AAO's increasing popularity, but I still didn't have that much money to spend and never saw the point of paying for a domain on top of that.
And now that I do have money, I just didn't think about it, until I was contacted by the owner of the new domain who informed me about it.

@ED, He acquired it a few weeks ago, knowing perfectly the situation since he was the one to tell me about it, so I don't think he will sell it now - or at a relatively high price, expecting to benefit from it, which I won't pay. What I will discuss with him is the possibility of having the same kind of disclaimer on his site redirecting to here.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Damn, that is recent.
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Post by energizerspark »

Unas wrote:@ED, He acquired it a few weeks ago, knowing perfectly the situation since he was the one to tell me about it, so I don't think he will sell it now - or at a relatively high price, expecting to benefit from it, which I won't pay.
Wow, that's kinda a dick move. And I'm assuming there's no real legal action you can take against him?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I agree. But Unas didn't fire the first punch, so... and it looks like it's perfectly legal.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yep, it's perfectly legal, and no, I can't take action.
I mean, the only ground on which I might take legal action would be if AAO was a registered trademark or something (and even then, it probably wouldn't be enough). Obviously it isn't, since AA itself is a trademark which does not belong to me - I can hardly pretend to register AAO in this situation :-P

Also, to be clear : he did not propose to sell the domain to me at a high price - it's just what I would expect him to do if I suddenly asked to buy the domain he just bought.
So far, it simply looks like he bought the domain for Attorney Online and that's it. There is no reason to call him a dick yet, though I do think he could have chosen a better domain to avoid confusion...

There was a strange move though : when he opened the domain and contacted me, he set it to redirect to AAO instead of AO. I was the one who requested that he redirects somewhere else, because I didn't want people to use AAO through a domain which doesn't belong to me or someone I can trust, it would be way too unsafe.

Of course, there is also the possibility that the guy who contacted me is not actually the owner of AO, but some random troll who bought the domain and expects to sell it to the highest bidder between me and AO. That happens...

In any case, we'll see.
ImageImageImage