What can PyWright do that AAO can't?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Re: What can PyWright do that AAO can't?

Post by E.D.Revolution »

No, you're right. It's just a "block" that covers the list of evidence. Except in my case, where I based it on the GK2 version. Really, you can customize the "metadata" as you wish. It's never going to be like the traditional metadata/description.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Except when it comes to things like these:
"{f}{sfx Ding}Hello!{p30}{n}I am {sfx Key}Phoenix Wright!"
doesn't translate easily. Because there are two sfxes in that sentences, under the current AAO system, it has to be split into two frames.
Indeed, this has always been the flaw of the AAO model, and for any GUI system for that matter. It is the exact same thing that makes LaTeX editing faster than MS Word editing, at least in the long run. I am wondering if it would be possible to solve this issue partly within the current AAO model, for instance by allowing sounds and music to be activated from the text field. Something like [#sfx=ding]. The alternative -- to add an actual scripting language to AAO -- would be close to impossible without rewriting AAO from scratch, and probably quite inefficient: It would be code interpreted by JavaScript, which is itself interpreted code.

Another approach to a solution would be to make AAO less dependent on the editor. We could choose to support features like what is mentioned above (activating music and sounds in the middle of a frame) in the player, without adding a corresponding interface in the editor. People would then need to use third-party tools (like Catalysis) to use these features.

A side question: PyWright has been ported to Android. Are there any plans for a browser version, like AAO? Would that be even possible? Would it require a Python interpreter in JavaScript?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

As far as I'm aware, there's no plans for a browser version for PyWright. Everything is self-contained. It just requires the app and all the assets in the app to work.

Not that there can't be any plans for it. I wouldn't know how to have it done.
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

I suggested multiple sfx in one frame a while ago and it got shot down. Not sure if the opinion on that has changed by now, tho.

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Well, the main issue I see with multiple sfx in one frame is.... Timing. Right now, AAO has no mechanism to assign when the sfx will be played, so.... It makes it rather difficult to put multiple sfx in without re-writing (presumably) a lot of code and changing the UI quite a bit...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

drvonkitty wrote:I suggested multiple sfx in one frame a while ago and it got shot down. Not sure if the opinion on that has changed by now, tho.
I believe you on this, but I need the source.
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Here you go! This was what Unas said (I cut the second bit since it wasn't relevant):
Unas wrote:I'm not planning to add multiple sounds per frame - as you mentioned, merged frames is the way to go.

GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Unas wrote:I'm not planning to add multiple sounds per frame - as you mentioned, merged frames is the way to go.
But now that we're open source, would he be against allowing others to make this change?

An alternative approach: We could stick to the current system of merged frames in the player and in the file format, but make it work in the editor. When you add multiple sounds in one frame, the editor must then simply output multiple, appropriately merged frames.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:An alternative approach: We could stick to the current system of merged frames in the player and in the file format, but make it work in the editor. When you add multiple sounds in one frame, the editor must then simply output multiple, appropriately merged frames.
That's exactly the opposite of what I would do xD

In the file format, no change needed.
In the text typing engine, I would declare a new type of tag that contains a sound ID to play, eg [#sound: 1]. That's clearly feasible.

What I'm most skeptical about is the editor.
You'd have to differentiate the frame's sound (which is played when the frame is started, whether instant text typing is on or not) and the list of text-associated sounds, only read when a tag is reached while typing... It sounds kind of confusing to me.

But I'm not entirely against it if someone wants to give it a try.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

E.D.Revolution wrote:
  • Customizable GUI. This one is a biggie for people who want to customize the experience for the player. I'm not going to say much, except play though a little bit of the PyWright version of ASA.
Are we talking just about different skins, or complete customizability, with custom buttons and everything, to the extend I suggested here?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

The whole shebang.