Cutscene Mode

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

VirtAnderson
Spoken languages: English

Cutscene Mode

Post by VirtAnderson »

I feel like AAO could greatly benefit from a cutscene mode.
Basically, what I'm asking for is something that could create something similar to some of the opening scenes in AA games with sprites having more complex movement.
For example, the opening to Turnabout Samurai in which the sprites are slowly scrolling across the screen. Other good examples are the opening for the Lost Turnabout, Turnabout Bigtop, Turnabout Memories, The Stolen Turnabout, and Recipe for Turnabout. All the cases I just listed, and more besides that, have more advanced movement of the elements on the screen.

I'd just use gifs mimicking that same movement in my cases, but the timing of a gif loop seems unreliable. I've noticed they often start in the middle of the animation and loop back around when they shouldn't.

Alternatively, an option to set how long a character scrolls for and some options for vertical movement would be nice.

I don't know how easily any of these would be implemented or if they could be implemented at all, but I still think it won't hurt to voice my thoughts.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Cutscene Mode

Post by kwando1313 »

I... Really like this as an idea, but... I think this would be a "coming some day on AAO" rather than soon, considering (I think) AAI is still on the table, as well as various fixes...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

If something is only supposed to have diagonal, horizontal or vertical movement, you can use an SVG, although it's a little complicated for the average trial maker. That said, vertical motion is great if you want scrolling credits.

More complex motions like arcing or zigzagging are also possible, but far more difficult to pull off.

The nice thing about SVG files though, is that they start from the beginning of a loop whenever they show up in the player while using Firefox. Sadly, Chrome doesn't work like that, so all SVG's pick up from where they left off last time the player loaded them.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

kwando1313 wrote:I... Really like this as an idea, but... I think this would be a "coming some day on AAO" rather than soon, considering (I think) AAI is still on the table, as well as various fixes...
This, effectively. More advanced object manipulations are something I'd like to add, but there are other more important things to handle first.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

speaking as someone who has spent literal hours making cutscene sequences in AAO
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Is there a way or has there ever been discussion of some kind of video player for the editor? A way to play an MP4 or AVI file or such so you can put your own cutscenes in from editing programs? It's not exactly what the OP is talking about but it could be a conceivable way to put in cutscenes of sorts. Of course, I don't know a lick of programming, so I don't know how easy or possible a task this is.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

It has been discussed, actually. I had almost forgotten!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, I'd wanted to do that at some point, but I've just been too busy to do... Well, anything.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd be interested on working on that one after a couple other (hopefully short?) projects, so that will hopefully be coming sooner than "someday on AAO."