[E] Change game text size, and allow bold/italics

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[E] Change game text size, and allow bold/italics

Post by TheDoctor »

Just something I thought of for a future update. If we could perhaps have the option to change the test size in the editor for certain scenes. I wouldn't want to get crazy with it, so perhaps a "small" text option that'll fit up to four lines of text in the text box (useful for scenes where characters are whispering, or if you're wanting to make a different style of game from the AA series and want to fit more text on screen). Also, for yelling characters, you could have a "large" text option that'll fit up to two lines of text in the text box.

Kwando also brought up a good point about allowing bold and italic text as well for emphasis, or perhaps when a character uses a foreign word in a sentence.

It's not a high priority, but just something to consider for the future.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [E] Change game text size (low priority)

Post by kwando1313 »

tbh, I'd want something like bolding and italics for text emphasis as well.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TheDoctor

Re: [E] Change game text size, and allow bold/italics

Post by TheDoctor »

Good idea. Added to the OP.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

My instinct is to say that these won't be doable without major changes to the text display engine, but if I have the time, I'll take a look here and post back.

EDIT: Bold and italics are doable! In display_engine_text.js, repeat the code for the colour case in typeText, starting on line 303. You'd just need to add bold and italic tags and change the color attribute to font-weight and font-style. Of course, it would be best if we could do it without boilerplate.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Post by samuko »

Enthalpy wrote:You'd just need to add bold and italic tags and change the color attribute to font-weight and font-style.
So, we just have to add BBcode?

Code: Select all

[b][/b]

Code: Select all

[i][/i]
Last edited by samuko on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

No, you misunderstood my post. This feature is not written. I was giving kwando instructions on how to write it. If it is written, it will work exactly like color and instant tags.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Post by samuko »

Oh, ok
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

For those interested, issue tracker entries:

Text Size
Bold and Italic
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Ah, I was afraid of this. Quote Unas, from one of his old posts:
Unas wrote:However, the problem with changing font size is the font itself : the AA font is a bitmap (pixelated) font that only exists in one given size. When rendered in a different size, it becomes ugly.
So unless I add the ability to change the player font, it would be practically useless - and for the moment, custom fonts are not part of my plans.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Hmm... So, outside of someone managing to make a PW-esque font at the alternate sizes dicussed, this feature's a no go.

That said, what about bold/italic text? Same issue?
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Here's what it looks like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/787 ... c_test.png Set to 50% zoom for best results. There's pixelation when I try to resize the image through an image editor.

This would be a really easy feature to write; I'm just more focused on resolving Issue #154 at the moment.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

What about the ability to center or right-adjust the text?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Nothing has changed since this topic. "I could do it at some point but it'd be a lot of work, which I don't want to focus on at the moment." I'm focusing on squashing bugs and improving editor usability before adding new features.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

As a suggestion for how this could be implemented, maybe it could be added to the colour/instant tags, so that we can apply text styles to colored text without worrying about tagging problems? The current colour tags would retain their functionality, but for italics, you could add a single asterisk at the end, two for bold, and three for bold italics.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Is there a reason why adding bold or italics tags would create "tagging problems"? I'd like to avoid adding new features to the language.