[P] Text's speed

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

[P] Text's speed

Post by samuko »

Web browser: Google Chrome
Link: I don't think it's necessary, because that happens in all trials.
Description: I don't know if it's really a bug, but I'm going to explain it. When I set the text speed to 2, the text appears pretty fast, and if I set it to 0.5, it appears slowly; but the sound while it's appearing is always the same whatever the speed.

I hope you understand and you can fix it. Thanks for attention!
Last edited by samuko on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: [P] Text's speed

Post by energizerspark »

I think this is because the sound of the text is just a file that's looped for as long as the text is appearing as opposed to being generated per letter
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [P] Text's speed

Post by Enthalpy »

This is a suggestion, not a bug. That said, it's a very good suggestion, and I'll add it to the list. It shouldn't be hard to let the playback rate be controlled by the text speed, though I'm not sure what that would sound like.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Re: [S] Text's speed

Post by ThePaSch »

Sorry to bump this - though I reckon it's not too old just yet.

I experimented with this on my local install, and it looks like it's a tad more complicated than it looks because of how the SoundManager library behaves. Energizerspark is correct - currently, the blips are nothing more than a 3-second sound file of "fake blips" that's looped over and over and then stopped when all the text has been typed out (or if there's a pause longer than 25cs). I tried replacing that file with a single blip and make it play per character typed instead of starting it once when text starts typing and stopping it accordingly, but that just ended up playing only a handful of blips per message box since the sound manager was instructed to not let the associated sound overlap itself.

I then changed that flag and promptly had my eardrums destroyed - which made sense, since I'd forgotten to change the amount of loops in the sound initialization, so the blip played once for every letter and also continued to loop for every single instance it was played - so in a text box of 24 letters, just before the end of the box, you'd have 23 blips playing and looping at the same time until they all simultaneously stopped with the typing of the 24th letter. So I set the number of loops to just one per blip (meaning every blip just plays once), but that resulted in a strange side effect that I haven't found an answer to -- the blips would only play once text speed was below a certain amount. They would sync up to the typed letters fine, but once text got too fast (too fast meaning faster than around 0.4x speed - so way slower than the current default speed), they'd just stop playing altogether. And once you approached the threshold, you'd get a couple of blips per text box, but never on the same letters regardled, and very randomly. Also, strangely, changing the amount of loops per blip to 2 would sync them up perfectly with the typed letters regardless of speed, but obviously play every blip twice, which just sounded weird.

I'm thinking this may be a bug with the SoundManager library that AAO uses to manage and play its sounds. As the single blips played and synced up fine when the loop counter was set to anything higher than 1, but otherwise didn't play at all or played very erratically unless the text was set to a slow enough speed, I'm not sure if it could be a problem related to the length of the sound, since it can obviously handle short sounds (or they wouldn't play no matter what the amount of loops was set to). I haven't done any investigating on this (apart from consulting the SoundManager documentation, which said nothing about issues with short sounds), so I'm not sure if or how this can be fixed. But it's definitely a feature I'd be highly interested in having added to AAO, as it would make the typing of text sound much more natural (and the typing of very slow text not sound extremely silly).
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Post by samuko »

I see... I'd really like to you could fix it too. That would greatly change the ambiance of the game. I understand that it's very difficult, though.
Anyway, thanks for your attention! :pearlhappy:
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Well, it's nice some attention got put into this, because the text blipping so inaccurately has always really stuck out at me as a flaw (especially when I tab out and it just blips forever at the same speed until I tab back in because the text takes a million years to load). Sucks that it seems to be breaking down so counter-intuitiviely

Although, something that may either help or make this even harder: I've saved up a little factoid in my mind just for this exact opportunity that, from my experience of Ace Attorney, the game plays one blip per every three typed-out characters, not just every single one. That ought to make, at the very least, getting up to default speed with authentic blips a lot more possible, even if getting anything notably past that would really sound off.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Reecer6 wrote:Well, it's nice some attention got put into this, because the text blipping so inaccurately has always really stuck out at me as a flaw (especially when I tab out and it just blips forever at the same speed until I tab back in because the text takes a million years to load). Sucks that it seems to be breaking down so counter-intuitiviely

Although, something that may either help or make this even harder: I've saved up a little factoid in my mind just for this exact opportunity that, from my experience of Ace Attorney, the game plays one blip per every three typed-out characters, not just every single one. That ought to make, at the very least, getting up to default speed with authentic blips a lot more possible, even if getting anything notably past that would really sound off.
Except when the speed is below a certain amount, then it does 1 blip/char
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

Reecer6 wrote:Although, something that may either help or make this even harder: I've saved up a little factoid in my mind just for this exact opportunity that, from my experience of Ace Attorney, the game plays one blip per every three typed-out characters, not just every single one..
It shouldn't be hard to do that. I haven't experimented beyond what I outlined earlier, so I might try it that way and see if that works better. Though it'll probably have to wait, because I'm currently working on other stuff first.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Relevant discussion : http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 00#p538275
It was mostly about the "visual" typing speed, but we quickly mentioned the sound as well.

The idea was to have a set of different sounds, each a sequence of bleeps at different speeds, and select the one closest to the actual typing speed.
I'm actually not so confident about generating each bleep independently : it will likely completely break the sound on android devices for example (they can only play a small number of sounds simultaneously for some reason), and more importantly I'm not sure it can really sound right given the latency of the different playback engines. It's worth trying though, feel free to experiment.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )