[M]Don't allow trials if X time hasn't passed to be released

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

[M]Don't allow trials if X time hasn't passed to be released

Post by Nicky Boy »

As you may know, there are TONS of trials which were made in less than three days. It's obvious that it's not possible for them to be of at least medium quality. An example of the first five non-featured English trials:
Spoiler : :
I suggest that the "yes" option for "Publicly Released" be hidden for normal users, unless a certain time period, e.g. two weeks, has passed.
Now, you can say "They can wait till they release them", but people making those kind of trials will probably stop trying before that.
Last edited by Nicky Boy on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: [M]Don't allow trials less than two weeks to be released

Post by energizerspark »

seems a bit harsh
people should be allowed to release what they want to
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

I know it's a bit harsh; however, if someone was to play an average (quality-wise), non-featured trial not mentioned in the forums, they shouldn't search through 5+ pages to find it.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

This would be very counterproductive.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Kroki wrote:This would be very counterproductive.
What do you mean :?:
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kroki
Admin

Post by Kroki »

AAO is a tool. Your goal is to chase away people who make low quality trials. I find this suggestion astonishing(ly terrible).
Quality filtering is the role of Featured trials.
Plus, setting a criteria such as "this trial was created X days ago" is arbitrary and doesn't even serve your goal, given how a trial is a technical entity and not a 'project'. Judging the age of a project (if it ever were a good indicator of anything) is not the same thing as judging the age of a trial.
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Now you got me confused.

First, you mention that this idea is counterproductive, as it will make people leave the side if this happens and they don't know about it. After that, you say that this is "astonishing", which completely contradicts what you said. Finally, you say that this criteria doesn't serve my goal. I don't know if I was misinterpreted, but when I posted this, I didn't want to prevent people who create extremely-low-quality trials to publish them, but to prevent people from making such trials. It may sound the same, but it isn't. A good trial takes time to write, even if you are the fastest writer and you have the most awesome ideas in milliseconds. Which brings me back to my goal, which is (to be more precise) to make people understand that creating something good takes time.

If this is applied, that means that every trial will take X time to be released since you started it. People making trials "for the lolz" will probably have finished before that time. That might give them motivation to improve their trial while they're waiting for time Y to pass, improving their trial's quality even a bit. On the other hand, people taking trial-making seriously, will end WAY after time X has passed, so they won't care much about the time restriction.

Another thing this would change is the image the site gives to people. If people see 3 pages with trials made in 2 days, with no story at all and random characters floating around, they will either
  1. think that's normal and do that,
  2. realize these were made "for the lolz" and proceed to making a (hopefully) good trial,
  3. and the worst, leave the site altogether, thinking this is another of those "awful" fan sites, which I'm sure is bad, and no-one wants this to happen.

I just want to say that I'm not trying to force your attention to this matter, but I believe that this will benefit everyone, if done right.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

There are things that are(...or should be) necessarily short like award ceremonies and trailers.
There are tools like Catalysis that allow you to write an entire trial in a text file before even creating it.
Having to wait two weeks before releasing those would be a pretty annoying limitation.
Nicky Boy

Re: [M]Don't allow trials if X time hasn't passed to be rele

Post by Nicky Boy »

Blackrune wrote:There are things that are(...or should be) necessarily short like award ceremonies and trailers.
Hence the time and not the frame limitation.
Blackrune wrote:There are tools like Catalysis that allow you to write an entire trial in a text file before even creating it.
Having to wait two weeks before releasing those would be a pretty annoying limitation.
I actually wasn't aware of that. If it works like I think it does, namely creating a trial and import whatever data from Catalysis after that, then there shouldn't be a problem. You can create a trial before you start with Catalysis, and you can import the data after you're done, rather than creating the trial after you're done. If it doesn't work like that, however... Huston, we (I) have a problem...

Also, changed the topic title to avoid confusion
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kroki
Admin

Post by Kroki »

That's counter-intuitive.
Nah, forget the idea.
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

Nicky Boy wrote:
Blackrune wrote:There are things that are(...or should be) necessarily short like award ceremonies and trailers.
Hence the time and not the frame limitation.
...? But you still wouldn't be able to release it to anyone.

And besides, a quickly put-together trial isn't like that by the creator's design. Most of the time, it is a genuine attempt, no matter how bad it might turn out to be in the end. Having them stare at their work for two weeks isn't really going to help them realize that. What will help them realize it is feedback. Which can be given to them pretty much whenever they post it (ideally). And if they never post it up on the forums, then there's really little to no chance of anyone coming across them, so there's no real harm done.

Plus, it's possible to create a relatively lengthy trial in less than a week, even.

I've never been a fan of these types of time restrictions anyway, so I'm gonna have to go with a "no" on this one, like everyone else. Soz bruh.
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Hmmm.... Seems that after looking these 3 more times made me realize that I also disagree with my proposal.

So, scrap this. pretend it never existed. Might as well lock it.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm also opposed, for the reasons that have already been stated, so no, this proposal is scrapped.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson