[???][P] Mirrored Sprites Reset to Non-Mirrored After Scroll

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

[???][P] Mirrored Sprites Reset to Non-Mirrored After Scroll

Post by ThePaSch »

While fiddling around with the editor on my local AAO install, I noticed a bug(?) popped up regarding mirrored sprites. Originally, I thought the bug(?) was caused by my modifications to the code, but then I realized it was reproducible the exact same way on the Live version, which means that I didn't cause it after all (woo!). And now, after investigating further, I'm not even sure whether it's even a bug or intended behavior (hence the question marks in the title).

Either way, here's how to reproduce:
  • Set up a court room with three characters; one on the left, one in the middle, one on the right.
  • Set the "Apply mirror effect" flag for either of the characters.
  • If you start on the mirrored character: Scroll away from them, then back to them.
  • If you start on someone else: Scroll to them.
  • They will no longer be mirrored.
Test trial: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/player. ... l_id=90281

Unless this is intended behavior and you're intended to set the flag again for every new frame? It's true that the "Apply mirror effect" flag actually does disappear in every frame following the one that places the character, so technically, there's nothing wrong with how the player behaves; but this seems rather unintuitive to me. Say you find some nice OC defense attorney sprites in the Art section, but would like to use them as a prosecutor for your case. You notice that the editor provides a method for mirroring your character, so you import the sprites as-is and intend to use that function to mirror the attorney for use as a prosecutor. However, in this scenario, you would have to open the Screen Editor in every frame and re-set the flag. I don't see any reason that speaks against keeping the flag for every subsequent frame once it is set until it is manually un-set. Also, this only happens if you move focus away from that character; if you just keep the camera on them, they will stay mirrored as they should, which leads me to believe this might be a bug after all.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [???][P]MIrrored Sprites Reset to Non-Mirrored After Scr

Post by Enthalpy »

This looks like a bug to me! In the interests of making sure that all the kinks are sorted out before v6 becomes official, fixing v6 bugs are one of my top priorities.

Normally, I'd do this myself, but this will be good practice for you: For the sake of organization, we now have all Bug Reports on the Official Bug Tracker. Would you mind adding this one to the list?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ThePaSch

Re: [???][P] Mirrored Sprites Reset to Non-Mirrored After Sc

Post by ThePaSch »

Sure thing; it's done. Wasn't sure what the severity of this is; it doesn't really affect any functionality, and since mirroring wasn't a thing in V5, it probably won't break any old trials either, so I gave it a 'minor'.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

That sounds reasonable to me. Thanks for adding it so quickly!

Bitbucket uses Markdown instead of URL tags, so to italicize text, enclose the text in asterisks instead of tags.

Code: Select all

It should look like *this*.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ThePaSch

Post by ThePaSch »

You're welcome!
Enthalpy wrote:Bitbucket uses Markdown instead of URL tags, so to italicize text, enclose the text in asterisks instead of tags.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just missed it when I copy-pasted from here (oops).