New Icons for Case Showcasing

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

New Icons for Case Showcasing

Post by TheDoctor »

I had an idea regarding case showcasing. Currently, the options are an unfilled circle for an incomplete or planned case, and a filled circle for a completed case. There's also the stars for featuring, but that's somewhat irrelevant at the moment.

My proposal, since the unicode character list has been updated, is to add an additional marker for playable cases that are in beta, or at least playable, but do not yet feature all the planned content.

○: Unreleased case. Currently in planning or editing, but not in a playable state. Demos/teasers would also fall under this distinction.

◊: Released case. Currently unfinished, but in a playable beta state. Updates will be forthcoming.

●: Fully released case. All planned content has been added. Updates are mainly to fix bugs at this point.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Re: New Icons for Case Showcasing

Post by Nicky Boy »

It may be my phone, but I can't see the 1st and 3rd ones.

Anyway, I agree. More detailed markers are helpfull on understanding the state of a case.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

That "small hiccup" is for Macs too...

Beyond not using the first or third symbols, I don't have strong feelings about the change, either way. More descriptive icons would be slightly more useful, but the way they display now, they're ugly.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I'll have to see if there are any that iOS doesn't mess up. I'll get back with you on that.
Image Image Image
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

TheDoctor wrote:I'll have to see if there are any that iOS doesn't mess up.
Don't forget Android!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I can't test for Android. :P

How about these?

○: Unreleased case. Currently in planning or editing, but not in a playable state. Demos/teasers would also fall under this distinction.

◙: Released case. Currently unfinished, but in a playable beta state. Updates will be forthcoming.

●: Fully released case. All planned content has been added. Updates are mainly to fix bugs at this point.
Image Image Image
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I don't see that last icon on my computer, so that's probably a no go.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Updated OP. Better?
Image Image Image
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Hmm... I don't love the middle icon, since it seems a little... Odd, IMO.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I'm not sure what the original set of 3 looked like (because like others, the first and third ones didn't load at all, even on regular ol Windows), but wouldn't just adding the "◐" character you suggested for this "currently beta-able" state be enough? It's not like the main icons need changing, and I'd imagine replacing every instance of them from the past with the new ones would take at least a decent amount of effort.
(I'm assuming that nobody here had any problem viewing that character because nobody's complained so far, although I suppose there is always that chance, too.)
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

It's mainly that the "◐" character is so much larger than the current icons. Because that is literally the only thing I have against it.

At any rate, I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of swapping out all existing icons, just having new ones for all future cases. Unfortunately, the lack of consistent size options make this somewhat difficult.
Image Image Image
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I love the chocolate/vanilla cookie character! :maya:

In all seriousness, I think this is a great idea. This way, I can release parts of my case I'll never make one at a time, with people in full knowledge it's not complete.

EDIT: Using Mac OS Sierra, I have no trouble viewing any of the chars.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

We'd need to settle "playable beta" more clearly. I was under the impression that TheDoctor meant "you can play it from start to end, but pieces are missing."

The middle dot also looks strange to me.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Well, for example, let's say you have a 4,000 frame count case planned out, but you only have 2,000 frames finished, so you release those 2,000 frames as if they were a chapter, but in the meantime, keep updating the same case until you get to the full 4,000. Or, in my case, there's a point where the player gets redirected back to the courtroom because I didn't have enough time to implement the rest of my planned content. Since I really don't know how long it'll take me to finish all the planned content due to work and school taking up a lot of my time, I went ahead and released what I have now, but I'll be continuing to update the case as I have time, while the redirect will remain in place until the full release.
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

After doing some more searching, the ⚪, ◐, and ⚫ are fairly closely related in size. I'll have to check and see how this looks on iOS. Anyone want to check it out on Android?

EDIT: Not too bad. The middle one looks a little flat on iOS compared to the other two, but at least the color scheme is right.
Image Image Image