Why is the max health 120?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Marios2
Spoken languages: Greek, English

Why is the max health 120?

Post by Marios2 »

The base format of the Ace Attorney series (excluding Investigations probably) is already unique on its own. But apparently, it also has another unusual feature - 120 max health rather than the common 100.

Seems like this may be for simplicity as you could do the 5 strikes system by removing 20 24 health each time, but is there any rhyme or reason for it or did I just answer my own question?
Last edited by Marios2 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Re: Why is the max health 120?

Post by Reverie »

Probably so that the author can choose whether penalties are given in 1/5ths of 1/6ths; 20 points per penalty for 6 strikes, 24 for 5 strikes.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Pretty much what Spyromed said, though we have more flexibility than that. We'd need to go up to 60 to allow for 1/4th penalties in addition to 1/5th and 1/6th, and we need 120 to allow for 1/8th.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Actually, the reason is much sillier than that : on the original AA2 game, health bar was 120 pixels wide.
I copied that over when I created the first prototype of AAO (back in 2007), and at that time the "reduce health" action actually took the number of pixels to remove in the health bar as parameter.
Yeah, I wasn't great at software architecture back then, and mixed up datamodel, business logic and UI stuff without thinking, but anyway : since then, I've kept 120 along.

What Spyro and Enth mention may have been the reason why AA series creators chose that width for their health bar in the first place though ^^
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )