[E] Request to add missing sfx/music

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

[E] Request to add missing sfx/music

Post by SuperAj3 »

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible for AAO to update the sfx and music options to include the AAI, DD, SoJ and PLvsAA voice lines.
This would include things like all the Objection voice clips and other unique/standard ones (Hold it, Take That, Gotcha, Got It, Not so Fast, etc).

Also, if they could please include the soundtracks to DD, SoJ, DGS, DGS2 and PLvsAA if at all possible.

I find sometimes I'm looking for these in the editor, and notice they're not there XD
I think these would provide a lot more variety for the cases and give the OCs people use more vocal options.

If it's too much to host, I understand.
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Re: Request to add missing sfx/music

Post by ThePaSch »

SuperAj3 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 am If it's too much to host, I understand.
I think that was one bit of the rationale that I've seen about this topic in the past. Another is that this is a 2D case maker, in the style of the old DS games, so including DS5+ content would feel out-of place. It would also either mean only including it partly (as in, only musics and voice clips, but no sprites), or it would mean having to include fan-made OC (2D sprite versions of the 3D poses), which further complicates things.

Though Unas and/or Enthalpy will likely be able to elaborate. Perhaps after this move, Unas won't have a problem hosting additional music/sounds?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I have no issue with hosting more contents from the newer original games, disk space has never been an issue for that amount of content.
The one thing where disk space was a limiting factor was with regards to allowing people to upload their own media (custom sprites or music) to AAOs server : that was requested several times in the past, and while it's an understandable request (since finding a host allowing hotlinking is always a problem), this would have quickly been too much.
Contents from the original games, however, doesn't grow at the same speed, and I'd be perfectly fine including the music from AA5 and 6 for example - provided someone is motivated enough to work on optimising them for AAO (they need to be in the right format, well compressed to load quickly for users, and to be cut properly to loop well).

As for AA5 or 6 characters and locations, it's a lot more complex for several reasons :
  • First, as ThePaSch mentions, the 3DS games use 3D models, not sprites. So someone would have to basically take screenshots of all frame of the game, detour the character and save it frame by frame in a gif file to make a sprite we could use. That's a lot of work.
  • To add to that, the 3DS does not have the same screen resolution. AAO is based on the graphics from the DS games, so each graphic element must be 256x192px in size (the DS screen resolution), 4:3 format.
    The 3DS top screen, on the other hand, is 400×240px, in 5:3 format. Bigger resolution means graphics would need to be resized (and thus losing in quality); different format means graphics would need to be cropped.
So in order to get those on AAO, someone needs to do a lot of work, and make a bunch of choices to make them integrate well enough with the rest... That's not an easy or fast thing !

That being said, if someone is motivated to provide such sprites I'd be willing to discuss it.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

If you want, I have all musics and all sound effects directly ripped from japanese roms for DD and SoJ. But work is needed for loops, effectively.
Image Image Image Image Image
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Thanks for the responses. I get the images would be a lot of work, so I was asking purely for audio updates.

Considering AAI1 and 2's soundtracks were added, but their sprites never were, I don't think all facets of the games need to be added, just those already compatible with the editor.

That being said, myself and some others did make an Athena sprite set for public use. I'm personally fine with them being used. There are also well made gifs of DD and SoJ animations scattered across the net (a Blackquill set has been shared in the custom canon sprite thread, for example.)

Also, I'm sure those who made fan sprites of canon characters and shared them to the "Resource: Canon Character Custom Sprites" would offer their sprites for the editor, provided they're polished enough.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I should add that some users did provide some cut AA tracks for possible use in AAO, but I haven't found the time to check if they'd work for our purposes or not... Anybody, please let me know if you're interested in doing some checking for me.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

I don't mind loop all tracks from DD and SoJ. I have even the tracks missing from the official soundtrack album. If Unas is not opposed, I will have to see with him which files to add because there is A LOT of sound effects (136 sound effects with the two games together).
Image Image Image Image Image