Three minor irritations I noticed

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Aoshi

Three minor irritations I noticed

Post by Aoshi »

I am fairly patient, but this is so tedious that it's driving me insane. When doing a courtroom trial, you should be able to label one character as "Prosecutor" and the other as "Attorney" so that you don't have to constantly bring up the same background. It gets tedious. And if this is what the Auto-BG is for, I can't seem to get it to work >>''...

But in any case, it would be a good idea to be able to tell it that "For IDs #30-60, whenever Maya appears, the background is the witness stand," or that "Every time Godot appears the background is the Prosecutor's stand." It halves the number of mouse clicks we do, which quickens how fast trials are made. That's always a good thing.

Oh, and one other; is it possible when testing a trial to start from a specific text frame? I don't want to go all the way through from the beginning to check an effect on the second-to-last panel. Perhaps a preview option where you can load the ID numbers into?

Finally, if I click on a music button and it loads a new page, it does so on top of my current work... so anything I was working on right then and there is gone in a puff of MP3. MP3s and such need to load in a separate tab or a separate window... I lost a good hour's worth of work...
GM'd by yours truly and mercurykitten. Game begins January 2, sign-ups ending January 1!
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Re: Three minor irritations I noticed

Post by Kroki »

It's a strange idee Oo
If we can't choose the background, how can we do an investiagaton?
ImageImage Image Image Image
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Aoshi wrote:I am fairly patient, but this is so tedious that it's driving me insane. When doing a courtroom trial, you should be able to label one character as "Prosecutor" and the other as "Attorney" so that you don't have to constantly bring up the same background. It gets tedious. And if this is what the Auto-BG is for, I can't seem to get it to work >>''...
Tha idea is to set an auto-bg BEFORE you type your texts : then every text where you set this character will get this background automatically. This function has an effect while you are editing your trial, not when you save it. I suppose you wrote your texts and then set the auto-bg before saving : this has no effect !
The advantage of the system I chose is that you don't need your ID system, since you can de-activate the Auto-bg (by selecting none) or change the auto-bg at any time :wink:
Aoshi wrote:Oh, and one other; is it possible when testing a trial to start from a specific text frame? I don't want to go all the way through from the beginning to check an effect on the second-to-last panel. Perhaps a preview option where you can load the ID numbers into?
In fact it exists even though it's not "visible" (I mean there is no button or link to this).
You just have to append "&avancement=" and your text's id to the game url. For example
http://aceattorney.free.fr/jeu.php?id_p ... ncement=21 :wink:
Finally, if I click on a music button and it loads a new page, it does so on top of my current work... so anything I was working on right then and there is gone in a puff of MP3. MP3s and such need to load in a separate tab or a separate window... I lost a good hour's worth of work...
You could have clicked "Previous page" on your browser, it should not have been a problem.
However, I'll change the effect of these links. Every other parts of this site now use a flash music player that would be perfect for it; I had just forgotten to change these links when I set this sound system. I'll change this soon :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
videocrazy
Spoken languages: English

Post by videocrazy »

Hey, Aoshi, good to see you again. Another little quirk I've noticed, one that can't exactly be fixed, except maybe with a warning sign, is that Manfred von Karma is DEAD. It even says so in T&T.

Aoshi

Post by Aoshi »

Thanks, Unas. And my complaint was that when I hit back, I still lost all my data. It reverted back to the last time I saved (I suppose I should save more often, then >>)
GM'd by yours truly and mercurykitten. Game begins January 2, sign-ups ending January 1!
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Aoshi wrote:Thanks, Unas. And my complaint was that when I hit back, I still lost all my data. It reverted back to the last time I saved (I suppose I should save more often, then >>)
Saving often is a good piece of advice I should give, yes ^^
It's true there are still so many ways to lose your data (although I do my best to correct them), it's better to save often, just to be sure :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Aoshi

Post by Aoshi »

Okay, something else I noticed. I made a map in GIMP and uploaded it to the server, but it's simply too large for the screen. The image is 420x300, with some rather important information. Can you make it so large images are resized to fit the top screen? At the moment what I get is a corner at actual size, which you can read perfectly, but it's only a small chunk of it.
PhantomH

Post by PhantomH »

The screen resolution size is 240x 160x I think (Should've been the DS's screen size though). Try to resize your image to about that size and see if you can still see everything clearly.
No Dine. No Knox. No Fair.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

yes, the current definition is 240*160px (GBA size).
It'll be changed to 256*192px (DS size) as soon as possible, we just have to get the new pictures before this update is done. (GS4 sprites on CR have not been redone to the new format yet; it's the only missing pictures so we should be able to do this update soon after CR makes them available)

In order to have your picture perfectly visible, you need to make it fit with the current screen size.
However, I had started to work on a new way of displaying pictures that would break free of this limitation, but I've been quite busy lately because of bugfixes and backups so it'll have to wait for a while :wink:
ImageImageImage
Aoshi

Post by Aoshi »

Sounds good, Unas. I'll live for now.

PS: I just noticed you quote Asimov in your signature. You have good tastes.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Asimov is my favorite author, I'm particularly fond of Daneel's and Baley's investigations :D
ImageImageImage
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

When you update the sprites, will we have to start our trials over again, or will the sprites still be there, but better graphics? Hmm?
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Forcemaster wrote:When you update the sprites, will we have to start our trials over again, or will the sprites still be there, but better graphics? Hmm?
Your trials will still work with better graphics :wink:
That's precisely why this is such a long work to get these sprites : they have to be renamed exactly the same than the old ones to make sure old trials won't suffer from the change :D
ImageImageImage
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

Great. One thing, though, about the auto-BG. Could you make it so it stays when you save and you can just turn it off manually? I only can work on my trial for short periods at a time, so its almost easier to just put it in manually without the auto-BGs.
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Aoshi

Post by Aoshi »

Something else I can complain about; I'm doing an investigation phase. Most of the time, this works easily. Except for when I have to point to an area in a picture. There, I'd like to have an option where I could input several coordinates and several messages; there's more than one thing for them to examine.