AAO6: Questions and comments about the future version

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

AAO6: Questions and comments about the future version

Post by Meph »

Questions and comments about AAO 6
AAO6 is the future version of the Ace Attorney Online web apps. Unlike the bulky previous versions that were built on top of one another, v6 will be written completely from scratch.

If you have a question about version 6, or would just like to discuss it, talk about it here. But don't forget that suggestions and requests for new features don't belong in this topic!

Main new features and improvements
  • Huge performance improvements
  • Reliability improvements
  • User interface and usability improvements
  • New: The logic system, as seen in the Ace Attorney Investigations spin-off series.
More new features might be listed here soon...

Frequently asked questions
General
When will version 6 be released?
There is no way of estimating a release date at the moment as there is still a lot of work to do. It's extremely unlikely that it will be released in 2011.

Why is AAO 6 being created from scratch?
Old versions of the web apps used very bulky and impractical code that worked in a limited amount of browsers. It was also written in a confusing way that made it difficult to add new features. Version 6 will perform better, make it easier to add new features, and will allow us to take advantage of new web standards that could improve it even further!

Will there be any updates to AAO 5 until AAO 6 is released?
There won't be any new features added. However, some bugs might be fixed.

Can I still suggest new features and report bugs?
Yes.

Will there be a beta test?
Yes. You can try it right now!

Will my current trials be compatible with AAO 6?
Yes.
Unas: The first thing I made in V6 are loading modules to convert the old files into the new format, so you have no need to worry. All old trials should work in V6.

Trial Player
Will AAO 6 have a VS animation on the bottom screen (shown before cross-examinations and rebuttals)?
There are no plans for this feature in AAO 6.
Unas: This isn't part of my plans yet, and I don't think it'll be done. I don't consider that as very important at the moment. But well, I'll see if I have time and can think of a nice way of including that.

Will the Logic feature be supported, like in AAI:ME?
Yes.
Unas: Since it was my favourite aspect of the game, I plan to include it.

Will we be able to show two sprites on screen at once, like in AAI:ME?
Yes.
Unas: Yes, and even more possibilities than that!

Will the perceive feature be supported, like in AA:AJ?
Unas: It isn't planned for V6 at the moment, but it might appear later; I've left a place in the V6 file format where perceive might be included in the future.

Will AAO 6 have courtroom scrolling animations?
Yes.

Will the tiny arrow in the bottom right corner of the dialogue box to show that the dialogue animation is complete be supported?
Unas: It should be easy to do, so I'll probably do it.

Will videos be supported?

Will talk conversation marks (i.e. the red ticks and locks) be supported?
Unas: It's in my to-do list.

Will the Chess feature be supported, like in GK2?

Will there be an animation in the life bar when the player gets a penalty or when their life recovers?
Unas: The health bar will have a small animated smooth transition effect but I'll probably not add the small "explosion" animation.

Will greyscale for flashbacks and inverted colours for Psyche-Locks be supported?
Unas: It's one thing I certainly would like to do, but I don't know if it will be possible in a way that works on all browsers by the time I release V6. Currently, only Firefox supports the technology to do so.

Trial Editor
Will AAI investigations be supported?
No. This will be postponed to a later release.

Will it be possible to use features like Logic and Psyche-Locks in the same trial?
Yes. All game mechanics can be used together.

Will AAO 6's sprite repository have AAI sprites?
Yes. Help will be needed to gather them and organise them properly.

Will the automatic pauses during flashes and shakes be removed?
Yes. However, you will still be able to use pauses, optionally.

Will making characters fade out be supported?
Yes, along with a few other similar functions.

Will making music fade out be supported?
Unas: I haven't decided yet. Perhaps.

Will there be a mechanism to prevent two collaborators from editing a trial at the same time?
Unas: Depending on performance issues, I might do exactly the opposite...

Will macros (i.e. automation of your common actions) be implemented in AAO 6?
Unas: Depends what you mean by macros. I have a few plans to automate small tasks, but I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Will an log system (to track a collaborator's edits) be supported?
Unas: It's quite likely. It depends on another feature I'm hoping to be able to integrate.

Will multiple languages for a single trial be supported?

Will foreground objects be supported?
Yes. There is support for multiple foregrounds and backgrounds at once.

Will it be possible to have multiple sound or music effects in the same frame?
Unas: It will be possible to set both a music and a sound on a frame, as separate settings. However, there should still only be only one of each.

Will changing the text's alignment (i.e. left, center, right, justify) be supported?
Unas: It shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to remember adding that.
henke37
Security expert / tools programmer
Spoken languages: Swedish,English

Re: Questions and comments about v6

Post by henke37 »

• Possibly a new player engine using Flash.
Currently working on a redesign of Court-records.net.
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Agh, >_< You're getting on my nerves, henke...

Anyway, I just hope V6 will be released within the next year :D
Meph

Post by Meph »

henke37 wrote:
  • Possibly a new player engine using Flash.
Possibly. Although I think it has been decided now that it will use neither Flash nor Canvas! Instead, we'll most likely be using the standard box model and CSS transitions. :)
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Ah, I have a thing I'd just like to ask. :)

Will there be the Attorney vs Prosecutor speedline function for just before the CEs?

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
henke37

Post by henke37 »

"Will" is the wrong word for the flash player, I added that weeks ago.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Henke, will you please stop going off-topic, and bragging about your Flash Trial Player.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

ShadowEdgeworth wrote:Will there be the Attorney vs Prosecutor speedline function for just before the CEs?
This isn't part of my plans yet, and I don't think it'll be done. I don't consider that as very important at the moment :-)
But well, I'll see if I have time and can think of a nice way of including that ;-)

About the Flash player, it'll most probably be available as a secondary player, since I'm feeling more and more inclined to build a new player myself (using CSS transitions among other things). But that'll depend on how much free time I have : if I feel my workload is too big, I may use henke's player at the moment of the release.

Oh, and Meph, I intended to keep the V6 rather mysterious for the moment (What ? Buzz marketing, me ? Never ! ^^), so I won't reveal all of my great plans yet :-P
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Unas wrote:
ShadowEdgeworth wrote:Will there be the Attorney vs Prosecutor speedline function for just before the CEs?
This isn't part of my plans yet, and I don't think it'll be done. I don't consider that as very important at the moment :-)
But well, I'll see if I have time and can think of a nice way of including that ;-)
Ah, that's cool. Thanks for the reply! :)

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:About the Flash player, it'll most probably be available as a secondary player, since I'm feeling more and more inclined to build a new player myself (using CSS transitions among other things). But that'll depend on how much free time I have : if I feel my workload is too big, I may use henke's player at the moment of the release.
It would be great if you used either of them, but if you do use henke's player, would you use XML or JSON files for saving?
Unas wrote:Oh, and Meph, I intended to keep the V6 rather mysterious for the moment (What ? Buzz marketing, me ? Never ! ^^), so I won't reveal all of my great plans yet :-P
Ah, I thought so. :P But this topic is here to more for getting people excited than for telling them everything! :twisted:
henke37

Post by henke37 »

If we use my player, XML it is, because it's what my player uses. Anything else would be stupid.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well then, unless you build a converter, as you had previously mentioned, I can't use your player.
If my great plan ( :mrgreen: ) to improve the editor's performance works, I'll need the file operations (load/save) to be really the fastest possible in order not to hinder usability. This is why I chose JSON, which is much faster to handle than xml in JS. :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Singapore123
Spoken languages: English, 1337, french, spanish,

Re: Questions and comments about the future v6

Post by Singapore123 »

How about putting the questions asked by the people? Like:
  • Unas wrote:
Or:
  • Q:Will there be the Attorney vs Prosecutor speedline function for just before the CEs? ~ShadowEdgeworth
    A: This is not part of Unas's plan yet, but he might do it.
We can do this so that people will not repeat the question again and again. And shouldn't this be in the "Questions about the editor"?
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

Unas wrote: Oh, and Meph, I intended to keep the V6 rather mysterious for the moment (What ? Buzz marketing, me ? Never ! ^^), so I won't reveal all of my great plans yet :-P
I hate you. :random:

:mrgreen:
Singapore123
Spoken languages: English, 1337, french, spanish,

Post by Singapore123 »

ThePaSch wrote:
Unas wrote: Oh, and Meph, I intended to keep the V6 rather mysterious for the moment (What ? Buzz marketing, me ? Never ! ^^), so I won't reveal all of my great plans yet :-P
I hate you. :random: *become non-mod* *banned*

:mrgreen:
Fixed.