Sprite Correction Task Force

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Sprite Correction Task Force

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Yes, but it's not that simple in all cases. There's a conventional order that sprites are listed in, so we can't just add them to be bottom of the list.
Erm... No, there isn't ? :-D
I just added the sprite in no particular order - to my knowledge, at least :XD:

However, V6 will have names for the poses, so if we add new sprites now, that makes even more that we'll have to name later :-P
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Alright. :P In that case, we'll increase the scope to include new sprites. I'll look over everyone's suggestions tomorrow and add the new sprites to the list.
Jean Of mArc
Spoken languages: English, French, Japanese

Post by Jean Of mArc »

Henke is right: Unas's system of loading the sprites works simply by checking the folders for image files and displaying them, a pretty efficient way to do it. It looks something like this (let's say for Phoenix, folder names are approximate):

person/Phoenix/1.gif
person/Phoenix/2.gif
personMute/Phoenix/1.gif
personMute/Phoenix/2.gif
personStartup/Phoenix/2.gif

So for the speaking sprites, it loads the "person/[character]" directory, then loads the "personMute/[character]" directory for non-speaking sprites, and optionally loads the "personStartup/[character]" directory for startup sprites.

If you replaced a broken image (for example, the bottom is cut off) with a full one, it would fix the problem with no side effects. If there is an image that ought to have a startup sprite but doesn't, all you have to do is drop it in the the startup animations directory with the correct number (example 4.gif) and the problem is solved.

All the images that I posted were just ones that could replace the current ones (for example Blake speaking, or the Olga sprites), or be added to the startup sprites directory. It would not break any conventions or cause any glitches or anything... Unless Unas has done something we don't know about, the programming would handle the new additions automatically without causing any problems.

EDIT: Didn't see the exchange between you and Unas until after I wrote this.

All the sprites I posted are either ones to replace current ones or startup sprites.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Jean Of mArc wrote:Henke is right: Unas's system of loading the sprites works simply by checking the folders for image files and displaying them, a pretty efficient way to do it.
Yes, I know. ;) My point was that we cannot add them in a way that's helpful for users (by reorder them), not that we cannot add them easily. :)

EDIT: OK. I've added new poses to the list. ;) Thanks, everyone.
Jean Of mArc
Spoken languages: English, French, Japanese

Post by Jean Of mArc »

Hey Meph,

For Jake and Orly, I noticed that you said that there were some poses missing. However, they are not missing:
- For Jake shaving, the animation is there, however he is not SPEAKING when he should be.
- For Orly, both of those animations are there, but they are cut off at the bottom.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Sorry, Jean. I got mixed up :XD:

By the way, Unas, why is there a directory called "Olga2"? :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Because of the different profile icon for it.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Oh, I see. So it uses the same sprites, but a different icon? In that case, they all need updating in the first one, because the bottom is chopped off in all of them.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, note down both directories as requiring update. ;-)
ImageImageImage
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Luke Atmey's sprite of him holding his monocle up close has two sprites missing; one holding the monocle and putting it up close so you can see his eye; one holding the monocle and putting it back on his eye. So they are basically start-up sprites. And you are also missing the beginning of his breakdown. You can see all of these at Court Records.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Damon Gant: Combine 7 with 8

Terry Fawles: 3rd needs talking

Daryan:
  • His 2nd sprite's talking animation and still don't match up.
  • Make his 3rd the startup for his 2nd
  • His 4th talking needs to be replaced.
Kristoph:
Sprites 1-3 and 7-10 need a separate section because of his 4-4 variation. It'd be weird to see him go from 1 to 11 and not explain his badge disappearing. :april:

Mikker's Bruce Goodman: All of his sprites needs replacement since it's not centered correctly and doesn't have a proper talk and still sprite.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Added. ;) I won't be able to fix Bruce's sprites, though, since it's custom. I don't have access to the corrected ones.
Godot Mango
Spoken languages: English, some german

Post by Godot Mango »

Hmm...
not sure if this goes here
But when we use our judge in the AJ court, 3 pixels of his robe can be seen going down past the desk
If I remember,the game fixed this with fixed Judge sprites.
Shouldn't we include that?
Meph

Post by Meph »

In the AJ version of the sprite, it was moved 2px upwards. I don't think it's worth fixing, though. It might be better to add a foreground layer to the judge's bench instead.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I say, don't fix what ain't broke :P

But in all seriousness, AAOv6 should fix it anyway. (with the layering, that is.)