[P] Verbose Loading?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

[P] Verbose Loading?

Post by Phantom »

Whenever I go to play a trial, I always seem to be stuck on loading certain sounds/music at a specific % level.

So it would be cool to know what's causing the loading issue by way of verbose boot loading (kinda equivalent to whenever you're executing a DOS program and you have it telling you what it's doing) if that makes sense.

Dunno how that would be implemented, but it would be quite useful to pinpoint issues down knowing what's being loaded exactly.

So say there's a loading bar somewhere on the player page, showing what file/content is being loaded. I do think there can be drawbacks to this (by way of revealing filenames/links to external content in case authors don't want that shown easily).
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: [P] Verbose Loading?

Post by Meph »

Does this happen in trials with no custom music as well?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

It's a good idea.
In V6.1, I might add a "debug mode" or something to the player - I have several other ideas in mind for it, but a log of error messages (including "file not loaded" errors) would definitely be useful.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ah, a complete debug mode, that would definitely be a much more useful mode indeed.

Also @Meph I'm pretty sure it does, but then again, my netbook lags anyway so it might just look like it's stuck forever custom music or not xP

However, I tested a certain sound file for a project of mine and the game would not load all the way through on any of my browsers (I knew it was stopping the % level when I inserted it in), but because there was no log or anything, a trial author might not be able to pinpoint the issue at all. I took a guess and was correct, hence why I came to this idea.