[E] Loading bar for Saving?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

[E] Loading bar for Saving?

Post by Phantom »

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before.

Can we get a loading bar for when we save our data in the editor and not just some looped animation of the yellow square moving horizontally? Last night I almost got annoyed because the editor was taking 10 minutes longer than usual to save and I thought it was because of my netbook.

It would definitely give me comfort knowing the saving is actually being done and not stuck in some sort of way.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: [E] Loading bar for Saving?

Post by Meph »

A progress bar might not be necessary for AAO6, since the way the case is saved has been improved. However, a progress bar for showing how much of the save file has been uploaded is possible. However, it won't solve your issue. Instead of getting annoyed at watching a yellow bar for ages, you'll get annoyed that the progress bar has stopped moving for ages. (You'll also get annoyed that it stops at 99%, because progress bars like to troll people.)

Another thing we could do is display a message when the upload has stopped for a while. The message should explain that the AAO server is slow, at the moment (or something like that).
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Meph, the way you're wording it, it sounds as though that in the next version that if we implement the loading bars, the fact it would take ages to progress/get stuck at 99% will be a normal occurrence for everyone. True or not? Also how has the saving been improved?

If so, then yes, a progress bar isn't necessary. However, if it only occurs when there is a legitimate issue going on AAO's end/the user's end, I like the idea of giving some sort of error message at the least.

If not, then I'd still want an indicator to know that something IS going on in the background. The only way I can think of an indicator is a loading bar anyway. If it so happens that there's something wrong with saving, displaying a message in combination would be just as better a idea if you combined the two things.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Phantom wrote:Meph, the way you're wording it, it sounds as though that in the next version that if we implement the loading bars, the fact it would take ages to progress/get stuck at 99% will be a normal occurrence for everyone. True or not?
Actually, I was joking about the 99%. Most progress bars always seem to pause at 99% for things like video games. :XD:

But I do agree with you, though. It is good to have a progress bar for something that could take longer than 3 seconds.
Phantom wrote:Also how has the saving been improved?
It's saved in a format called JSON. We're able to generate the save file instantly, so there won't be any lag if you've got a really long trial, which is a big improvement from AAO5. Also, JSON takes up less space than the format we're using in AAO5, so it won't take as long to upload (it won't save that much space, though).
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Meph, what will save a lot of space isn't just the fact that it relies on JSON (this has only a minor impact on size), but that I designed it to avoid redundancies.
So AAO6 files should indeed be smaller than AAO5 files.

That being said, I'm not sure it's possible to make a meaningful progress bar without much more complicated stuff.
Phantom wrote:If not, then I'd still want an indicator to know that something IS going on in the background.
Well, that's the point of the current looping animation. It doesn't give any information about the percentage of completion because I don't know it, but it means the saving is in progress - at least in theory, given the bugs that sometimes happen on V5 :awesome:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:but that I designed it to avoid redundancies.
So you mean it's going to remove duplicate data? :D
Unas wrote:It doesn't give any information about the percentage of completion because I don't know it, but it means the saving is in progress
At least it tells you whether or not your browser session has crashed. :P
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:
Unas wrote:but that I designed it to avoid redundancies.
So you mean it's going to remove duplicate data? :D
You have a short memory :-P
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 79#p358579
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

That's nothing. You should have seen me driving, today. I forgot I was turning left at a roundabout. :P