[E][P] Show a conversation when clicking "Move"

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

[E][P] Show a conversation when clicking "Move"

Post by Sligneris »

It's something used when we play as Maya in 2-4 and here.

It could be useful seeing that we can often see that we click "Move" and we don't have any place to move at.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Re: Text box directly after clicking "Move"

Post by GanonZD »

I most definitely support this suggestion. It occurs in the games, so why not have it in AAO as well? ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: [E][P] Show a conversation when clicking "Move"

Post by Meph »

I agree. We need this. But I don't know whether Unas might want to push it back to AAO6.1.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

It will certainly not be in 6.0, that's for sure.
It requires changes to the trial data, that I'm not going to improvise when I'm so close to the public beta release.

And I'm not sure at all I'll do it later either, to be honest. I don't like that idea too much - the move button is for moving between scenes. Disabling it so you can't move is meaningful; redirecting to a frame doesn't make any sense in this context.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Actually, it does. There are situations where a character can't move from their current location. It is better if a reason can be given, rather than disabling the Move button.

In terms of user experience, it would be very simple to implement. Have two radio buttons. One says "Move to a different investigation location" and the other says "Prevent moving between locations and begin a conversation". When the latter radio button is checked, the Move options are replaced with frames for creating a conversation.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Radio button? Not flexible enough.

How about two check boxes, plus a possible action? First check box for allowing movement to a different investigation location (checked by default) and one for preventing movement to another. That way you can set certain conditions that will allow you to move, if the author wishes. And a possible action would be "allow movement from location" with the ID number as the location to allow movement. And the opposite would be "prevent movement from location" with same parameters as "allow".

If it was just a radio button, you'd have to redirect a frame to a duplicate location, which adds more work than necessary.
Meph

Post by Meph »

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean. What I mean is:

If the first option is checked, the Move options are displayed like they are in AAO5.
If the second option is checked, the UI changes so that you can add a conversation, instead; in the same way that you would create an introduction conversation in an investigation location.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Meph wrote:I'm not sure if you understand what I mean. What I mean is:

If the first option is checked, the Move options are displayed like they are in AAO5.
If the second option is checked, the UI changes so that you can add a conversation, instead; in the same way that you would create an introduction conversation in an investigation location.
Umm...
Meph wrote:Actually, it does. There are situations where a character can't move from their current location. It is better if a reason can be given, rather than disabling the Move button.

In terms of user experience, it would be very simple to implement. Have two radio buttons. One says "Move to a different investigation location" and the other says "Prevent moving between locations and begin a conversation". When the latter radio button is checked, the Move options are replaced with frames for creating a conversation.
You do know the difference between a radio button and a check box, right?

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's an "or" kind of thing. You either have a move function or you have a function that prevents movement.

What I'm saying is that it's not flexible enough for users who want to have an option to move after tagging certain conditions. Why have one when you can have both? Why not give the option for the user to have both functions available? What you are proposing makes it impossible to have both, for if you hide one of the two functions, the other won't be available.

With the check boxes, if you check yes, then it will reveal frames for said function. For example, if you check "movement to other locations", it will open the interface to choose where to move. If you check "prevent movement," it will open the interface to enter the "you cannot move" convo.

Then with the check boxes, have two actions available: "Allow movement from location" and "prevent movement from location". Those two actions will be tied to the check boxes whether to allow movement or prevent movement. If you have both, this is where a radio button will become useful. Have a radio button defining the "initial state" of the move function. That way, you can set the investigation location to either allow to move or prevent movement when the Player gets to that location (initially). Then use an action at the appropriate frame to either allow movement (if initial state says you can't move) or prevent movement (if initial state says you are able to move). To make things easier, have the radio button be selected to allow movement.

Like I said before, if there is no way to have both actions in one investigation block, then the user will have to create another investigation block and link it there. Too much work/added work.
Meph

Post by Meph »

E.D.Revolution wrote:You do know the difference between a radio button and a check box, right?
A radio button is usually circular and only one item can be selected. With checkboxes, you can select multiple items. In both types of forum elements (even radio buttons), when an item is selected, we say that it is "checked". In the context of Web development, this is what they're called. I don't know whether you're talking about something else? :)

But I'm sorry. It's probably because I'm tired, but I'm finding it difficult understanding what you're trying to explain, ED. Could you give an example of how this would appear to a player?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Basically, what ED says, and he's right, is that disabling the Move button without being able to enable it later is useless anyway.

So setting a place's move action as disabled (or pointing to a conversation) shouldn't prevent from inputting a list of destinations : you should be able to do both, then toggle using actions ingame.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Ah, I get it. Yes, that's true. So both options will need to be offered and we'll need an action to switch between them.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

This would be nice to make the experience more authentic (and even make investigations easier).

Don't think it's really needed though as I doubt anyone would use this feature too much.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Puddin' wrote:Don't think it's really needed though as I doubt anyone would use this feature too much.
Thanks.
Exactly my thoughts, given that the change is not a trivial one either...
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

In that case, we will have to make do with just having the Move button disabled. instead.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Or--although that requires more work--replace any location you move to with a cutscene and then direct the player back. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.