[E][P] Time limit

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

[E][P] Time limit

Post by Sligneris »

It would work similarly to Logic Chess.

We would decide time limit for presenting evidence or picking the right action. I have an idea how should it work

We would have second bar, which would be time limit. Every moment we have something time-limit, value repetitively decreases. There should be also way to "penalize" someone by reducing the time and have whole time restored on a certain situations.

Actually it's the only thing that is needed technically to have Logic Chess right now on the AAO.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: [E][P] Time limit

Post by Meph »

Dan has suggested this before. :) But you're right; it would be great if we could have it. So this is how it would work:

1. An action is used to display the timer.
2. When an action under the "Ask for player's input" category is used, the timer starts playing.
3. When the player selects their input, the timer stops.

To make Logic Chess work, we would need another new action for creating a special type of selection options (the ones that are red and blue and have a grey heading above them).
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

Meph wrote:1. An action is used to display the timer.
2. When an action under the "Ask for player's input" category is used, the timer starts playing.
3. When the player selects their input, the timer stops.
I also suggested that this option could be also used when we're supposed to present evidence.

Also, I thought that we could see timer all the time, just like life bar.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

From what I understand, all you're mentioning here is already possible in terms of gameplay, though there is no way to display a timer.
  • Set both a wait timer and an "ask for player input" action on the same frame : if the timer runs out, the player goes to the next frame, even if the user hasn't had time to interact with the action.
  • Use of the f:get_time() function in the expression engine enables you to measure the time interval between two frames : you then can measure how long the user took to make his choice.
Well, now that I think about it, I guess there is one thing missing : the ability to use the value of a variable as a frame's wait timer - which I probably won't do.

Anyway, it's a good suggestion - I'll probably implement something like what Meph suggests when I do implement Logic Chess :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

It would be amazing to have a real timer, like this :
-you set it to a certain time, it starts
(-you can stop it with another action)
-when the time is over, the player is redirected to the frame you chose
ImageImage Image Image Image
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE