[S] Remove Games page and put it on homepage?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

[S] Remove Games page and put it on homepage?

Post by Meph »

At the moment, we plan on having a games page for finding trials to play on AAO. But what if we put it on the homepage instead? Most vistors to this site aren't forum members; they just want to play games. Plus, there isn't much else we can put on the homepage.

Current design for homepage
Current design for games page

I wanted to have our news and announcements on the homepage, but that's easier said than done. We could just have a little link to the announcements forum, anyway.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [S] Remove Games page and put it on homepage?

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:I wanted to have our news and announcements on the homepage, but that's easier said than done.
Actually, it's quite easily done - at least in the English section, where thanks to you we have one topic for each announcement. Fetching the first post from each topic is quite simple.

And honestly, I think moving the whole trial list on the homepage is bad.
A homepage is like the cover of a magazine : you usually want the cover to be a short description of the latest content to attract attention; you don't write the whole index of the magazine on its cover.

Including some direct links to trials on the home page is good - that's already the point of the random featured trial on the V5 homepage. I agree it can be improved, and having categories that highlight latest activity is a good idea in that respect - but putting the whole list with the search engine in there seems inappropriate to me.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

In that case, I'll keep it how it is with sliders and popular categories. But is there anything better to use than sliders?
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

I think that part works fine. :-)

But this discussion made me consider other improvements to the website, so I created this topic for that. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.