When will AAO6 be released?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: When will AAO6 be released?

Post by Bad Player »

Unas wrote:Logic chess is not planned for the moment. It might come in a relatively far future.
It would be pretty easy to recreate with just a timer/countdown function.
wilko123
Spoken languages: English

Post by wilko123 »

And the Awesome background with the Awesome
Logic Chess Music :D.
turnabout Chaos
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by turnabout Chaos »

If I may ask, how's the v6 editor coming? I honestly would love to stop using v5 as v6 is sooooo much easier to understand and customize. I imagine that a lot of progress has come since October, right? :phoenix: Also, where are the animations for the Psyche Locks?
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

There's been quite a bit of progress, but not a lot. The editor is mostly feature-complete, now, and Unas has started work on the Trial Manager.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

And how much work does the Manager require? Which components and features does it need? In my naïve POV, compared to the Editor and the Player, it sounds almost like a minor project, but I'm probably wrong. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:In my naïve POV, compared to the Editor and the Player, it sounds almost like a minor project, but I'm probably wrong. ;-)
Nope, you're quite right : the manager is much less complex than the player or editor - I'd estimate it around 10% of the total work, something like that.
That's the reason why I've only started work on it recently : it is less complex, so it will take less time to build and require much less testing.

Also, the manager is completely separate from the player and editor in that they share practically no component, and do not handle the same data.
The editor and player only handle a trial file - one trial with all its internal structure and logic; the manager handles the trial database, which contains only metadata (title, language, author, etc.). That's why I was able to launch a V6 beta while keeping the V5 manager.

As for my current progress, well, I'm pretty much done with the database modules to read and edit a trial's metadata from the database, and the one to read trial sequences. The technical bits left are the ability to edit trial sequences, and the ability to perform a search.
And once that's done, I'll have the whole user interface to build on top of that, of course.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Thanks for the response. ;-)

I suppose that as soon as the trial manager is ready, V6 is practically complete. The only thing I'm really missing is the saving feature in the player. As soon as that is ready, I plan to stop using the V5 player entirely and only play trials in V6; the feeling and general design of it is so much nicer than the V5 player. ;-)

So I'm wondering: Will saving be supported soon? :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
turnabout Chaos
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by turnabout Chaos »

Thanks for the updates! I really do understand why it takes so long. Can't wait to try it in its full glory. 8)