[E][P]Unskippable Choice Option

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

[E][P]Unskippable Choice Option

Post by DeeYo »

While AAO's "text fast forward" feature is great, and allows those who can read faster to not have to sit through the whole typing process, there is one place where it backfires - multiple choice questions.
Fast readers can just click through the text and still get the general gist of what everyone is saying, but amidst this rapid clicking, they won't notice if the next frame is a multiple choice question. So they can end up clicking one of the options and realize it too late, having already lost health or something. (I've had this problem quite a few times)

Is there a way for multiple choice questions to be typed out instead of the choices appearing when the player clicks the advance button? (Basically, what I mean to achieve is, in practice, putting an infinite timer on said frames.) If not, can it be added (if there is enough demand for it)?

Total times sued: 10328
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Re: [E][P]Unskippable Choice Option

Post by GanonZD »

It is indeed a problem, and as such, your idea is good. However, there are also some disadvantages, since it would in a way interrupt the game flow. In fact, the problem already has quite a good solution: By positioning your mouse correctly on the text forward button, you don't hit any options once they appear. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

How exactly would it disrupt the game flow? If people continue clicking (going with the "game flow"), they'll probably select the wrong solution. Besides, players have to think about the solution anyway, so that takes thinking time. That in itself disrupts the game flow.

...Also positioning your mouse on the edges of the advance button can be tricky. If you put it at the bottom, and there are 4 or more options, one of which is a 2-liner, you will click the third or the fourth option. If you put it on the left or the right side... well, you may accidentally hit a button. There isn't much space, after all.

GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Is there no safe zone in V6 either? I cannot say I have tested it in detail. What I mean by interrupted game flow is that if you are sitting and clicking repeatedly to fast forward (perhaps because you have already played them, or because you're a fast reader), it is extremely annoying that you suddenly cannot fast forward for a short while. But as I already admitted, the current situation is a problem as well. Perhaps another solution could be to list the options below the text forward button; we are not on a DS, so we do indeed have enough space for it. Alternatively, we might wait for Unas to implement keyboard shortcuts so that you can proceed by pressing space on the keyboard or something, without the risk of hitting an option somewhere.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Post by TheDoctor »

Perhaps if one turned on instant text typing, and just clicked carefully through the dialogue, it might work?
Image Image Image
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

TheDoctor wrote:Perhaps if one turned on instant text typing, and just clicked carefully through the dialogue, it might work?
That severely decreases the enjoyment factor of any given trial. Trials were not meant to be played in instant text mode, you see. It's just a convenience feature.

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Perhaps have Fast-forward as a Player option?

If one wants to experience trials the way they are, they wouldn't click-click-click-click-click. But I also understand when people have to revert to a save and want to click through quickly to get to where they need to go.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Perhaps have Fast-forward as a Player option?

If one wants to experience trials the way they are, they wouldn't click-click-click-click-click. But I also understand when people have to revert to a save and want to click through quickly to get to where they need to go.
And what would be the difference in behaviour with the current instant text typing option exactly ? :)
Because that's pretty much the main use case for instant text typing as I see it : someone wanting to skim quickly through a portion of the trial.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Nah, I use instant text because I read really quickly, and it feels sluggish reading normally. xP

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

Well, I'd wait for the text to be typed out (and thus use the player as intended and not run into this problem), but today's trial authors add a whole lot of irrelevant details, so I often lose my patience to sit through 500 frames of introduction and start clickity-clicking.

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

How about this: rather than the text being typed out, the text appears instantly as normal, but the answers on the bottom screen take a second to pop up. This gives the player a second to stop insta-clicking, so that they don't pick a wrong option.
OrderOfTheNick
Spoken languages: English,Hungarian

Post by OrderOfTheNick »

In the games there is a delay before the options show up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... _-8U#t=574
But theres also the fact that the player can't skip the text. But even when skipping is possible, the delay still prevents the player from accidentally choosing an option without wanting to. So it just makes sense to have it in the player, too.
GanonZD wrote:Is there no safe zone in V6 either? I cannot say I have tested it in detail. What I mean by interrupted game flow is that if you are sitting and clicking repeatedly to fast forward (perhaps because you have already played them, or because you're a fast reader), it is extremely annoying that you suddenly cannot fast forward for a short while.
I'd argue that it's much more annoying to accidentally click a wrong answer and have to go through the dialog again. And again. And again. It's better to have to wait 2 seconds for the text, rather than skip through the other text until you can try again. It's even worse if you get penalized, too.
I mean, what if there's a full penalty? Instant game over. If you select the wrong option there, the game ends. And if you click fast to get back, you'll probably click a wrong option again. Without knowing it.
I made Turnabout in the Two Towers, the winner of the Method in the Madness case competition.
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

... Which was exactly what I remarked in the sentence coming immediately after: "But as I already admitted, the current situation is a problem as well." :-P
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Well, for prompts such as those, we do need a "Select your answer" to raise the textbox about 20 pixels up WHILE not allowing the player to accidentally click over the choices. I would suggest adding a "prompt bar" feature to the Editor for this reason.