[P] Add text history feature to player

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[P] Add text history feature to player

Post by TheDoctor »

I don't know how feasible this would be, but someone suggested adding a text history feature to the player, where you could look back and see what had been typed in previous frames if you accidentally click through the game too fast. Since they implemented this in Dual Destinies, it might be something worth looking into. I just don't know how difficult it would be to add this feature.
Image Image Image
drvonkitty

Re: [P] Add text history feature to player

Post by drvonkitty »

I fully support this idea. This was a really helpful feature in DD, although I don't know how feasible it would be to implement into AAO.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It could definitely make playing hard trials a more tolerable experience. Assuming it's feasible (which I would expect it should be), the only questions to ask is how to convey the information, how to pull the information up, and where to put this function in the Player GUI
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Don't forget "how to preserve the buffer across savestates." That isn't plausible, as far as I can tell, so if this buffer existed, it'd have to be wiped by save/restore.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

It's feasible, I'll think about that (though I'd probably not bother saving the colours, only the raw text, in the history).
Suggestions as to how to integrate that in the AAO player interface are welcome :-)

As for preserving that when saving, well... if I make it in a reliable way, it would drastically increase the size of the save data, but it should work.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Perhaps the text history button could be added to the top left of the player screen next to the life bar? Either that, or put the button on the bottom of the "touch screen."
Image Image Image