[P] Screen Size and Instant text display request

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Zidiane
Spoken languages: English

[P] Screen Size and Instant text display request

Post by Zidiane »

I played my first fan game today, Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal, and I mostly had complaints about the presentation of the player. I was told to come here with my suggestions. There're more than one.

1) I don't like how small the screen is. I'm forced to zoom all the way in to get it to a comfortable size, but then it cuts off the majority of the evidence and profiles section. In order to go through Profiles or pick Evidence I have to zoom out, pick my stuff, then zoom back in.
My suggestion to remedy this: Give me an option to remove the bottom screen and click on the main screen to advance text, and scale the main screen up to be roughly this size.
Spoiler : open the image in a new window to see the full image :
I resized the Evidence and Profile screen too.
This isn't the DS or the 3DS, where you have space that you have to fill up with something. The second screen is completely unnecessary, except with people that want to feel like they're playing on an emulator.

2) Instead of the display text instantly when you click that option, could you have a "display text really fast" so that you can move through the game really quick and still get to hear the typewriter sound of words? I hate waiting for words to pop up, I read too fast to be waiting all day, but having an Ace Attorney experience without the sound of the typewriter really feels awkward.
drvonkitty

Re: [P] Screen Size and Instant text display request

Post by drvonkitty »

That's the old v5 player, which will soon be out-dated and (mostly, I assume) unused. The v6 player has gotten a revamp, although it's similar to the old v5 player in some ways. However, I think the design of the v6 player is mostly suitable and I don't think it needs any major revamping.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

One thing to note however is that he was playing Turnabout Reversal, which uses the V6 player. So while the screenshot he compiled is based on V5, the impressions are from V6.
Image Image Image
Zidiane

Post by Zidiane »

Oh, I wasn't sure how to tell if they were different. Well, I thought maybe the one I was using was old, so I guess I have a third suggestion. And I'll change the screen shots from the I guess v6 player.

3) I don't like how the item screen is setup. Having the additional info display bellow it is a little weird, though convenient and probably easy to get used to (if only it didn't cover other profiles/pieces of evidence), but when the evidence/profile is at the bottom of the screen, you are forced to scroll down with page down or space bar to read it. I'd also like to not be forced to click "present" after already trying to present evidence. You provide all the needed info on the previous screen, so you may as well just have a little box that shows up and says "are you sure you want to present" right over the piece of evidence if you want to force the player to click a second time to present, at least that way the player doesn't have to scroll around the screen so much.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Some thoughts:

1) While I agree that the AA system isn't meant for a computer screen, several cases use the bottom screen to present a fairly long list of choices. This would completely obscure the top screen if they were combined. Normally, that's not a problem - except when the player needs the information in the top screen to make a good choice! An example would be questions about photographs or maps.

More importantly (to me), some cases use the examine screen for special engines. The most extreme example of this is Endless Nine, which I just posted.

A more elegant solution than eliminating the bottom screen entirely would be to have the evidence display respond intelligently to screen zooming/resizing, but I'm not sure how hard this is to carry out.

2) The slowness of the text in many trials owes to the default speed settings of v5. Trials made in v6 are less likely to have this problem, as the default speed is faster. That said, while a text speed slider would be nice, it seems like a lower priority than fixing the v6 graphical glitches.

3) I'm mostly in agreement with this one, if only because I'm making an inventory based game. But the way it is in v6 is an improvement from that way it used to be, where even more clicks were required.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"