[E] [P]Friction Between the Sprite Variations

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Chimp
Spoken languages: English, most of Spanish

[E] [P]Friction Between the Sprite Variations

Post by Chimp »

I've been trying to get some custom sprites, and I did, however, there's a problem with the editor. Whenever I put a certain variation of the sprite I want, when I add a new sprite in to my collection for that profile, the frame I placed the initial sprite in changes to the one I recently added, and my frame gets messed up, since I haven't uploaded a still sprite for that variation. Can someone help me on this? Here's some basic information you need to know that might help:

Browser: Google Chrome

Operating System: Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Link: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/player. ... 8379&debug

NOTE: Notice how you'll see that sprite of June. That's not the sprite I want. I'll show you what the sprite I was trying to use was from online, because I can't log onto my Tinypic right now... :cry:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nin ... 0313100647

EDIT: The trial says it's made by a different user, but that's my other account. I thought I couldn't access my account after SO MANY attempts to log in, and then I realized I can resend the confirmation link. I couldn't really see it without my glasses, so before I figured that out, I created another account. Sorry!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] [P]Friction Between the Sprite Variations

Post by Enthalpy »

First, it's against AAO rules to have multiple accounts, so you'll have to stick with one of the two. Looking over your trial, there's also some hotlinking. Whenever you use a graphic, always host it on your own imgur/photobucket/tinypic unless the image's creator says otherwise.

As for your specific problem... It's not clear what you mean by "Whenever I put a certain variation of the sprite I want," "the initial sprite," "the frame... changes to the one I added," and "my frames gets messed up." I can help, but you'll need to give more details on those specific points. Since I can view your trial, it would be the clearest if you could give examples with specific ID numbers for sprites and frames.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Chimp

Post by Chimp »

Okay, since I have to stick with one account, I'm going with my secondary so this might be my last post. Okay, so here's what happened: I went to put my sprites in, right? So, then I placed one that had both a still and talking sprite. Then after I created Frame 1, where 'that' sprite appears, I added one more sprite. That's the sprite you see on the trial. I'm sure, I said it before in my first post, and I can't give more information, since that's actually all I know about the problem in its entirety. Also, sorry for hotlinking, the trial was more of a test because I planned on hosting the files in the first place. However, when I looked at most of the sprites, they didn't show so I wanted to make sure they were good for the actual trial.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

...You're saying that you had a sprite on Frame 1, added another sprite from the same character, and replaced the original sprite? If so, that's completely intended behavior. It wouldn't make any sense for the same character to appear two times at once.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Chimp

Post by Chimp »

It happened once I added the sprite on the characters tab, it switches the variations just out of the blue. I really don't know how this happens.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

...Did you just delete the trial? I was looking at it in the editor and refreshed when, suddenly, the trial could no longer be loaded.

As for your specific glitch, it's nothing you did wrong. The problem is that you have (or had) two sprites with the same ID number, which is something that the source code itself is supposed to ensure never happens. That failed, somehow.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Two sprites with the same ID ? That's clearly not good :-/
Thanks for pointing that out Enth. I guess some investigation is needed.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Aha, found the problem. Give me five minutes, and I'll have a commit with the fix.

EDIT: Okay, so it was closer to 20 minutes because it took me longer than it should have to remember that custom_sprites doesn't have a leading zero element, but it's tested on my machine and working!
ApolloGrimoire
Spoken languages: English

[E] Custom Sprite poses bug

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

I deleted this last time, but it still keeps happening. This time, I'm keeping it open.

It won't affect the trial since the original problem was fixed by adding a new character profile for story purposes, but it needs attention.

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/editor. ... l_id=78767

Firefox 42.0, Windows 7.
Spoiler : This is what it looks like when adding custom sprites :
Spoiler : Now here it is when choosing them :
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
Greatest Weakness - Mis;use of; Semi;colons
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

...As you can see, known bug. It'll be fixed whenever AAO is updated next, and I can't tell you when that will be.

If you like, I can fix the trial data manually. To avoid this bug in future, do not delete old poses until the next update.
MrCafecito
Spoken languages: Español, Inglés

Custom sprites get replaced by others

Post by MrCafecito »

Hi!
I've been having trouble with the editor about something.
For example, I have custom sprites for Phoenix Wright for when he is in the court (the mini ones).
They were okay and I have been using them in scenes.
However, I added a new pose where he's thinking, like so:
Spoiler : :
And now that I added it, the previous pose (the courtroom mini) glitched and now shows the thinking sprites:
In the poses it shows like normal, but in the editor this happens:

(The sprite even says "En la corte" but it shows a wrong sprite)
I can't find a way to fix this, and this is really problematic since I have to replace that sprite in a lot of frames (which I can't find so easily now, is there a way to jump to a specific fram in the editor without ctrl+f?)
Thanks in advance!
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: Custom sprites get replaced by others

Post by TheDoctor »

Really, it's best to use courtroom minis as popups. Generally, you'll want one for each witness. That way, instead of having one for every character that shows up in court, you only need to have one image featuring everyone you're using at that point in time.

I realize that doesn't exactly answer your question about the glitch, but it's worth looking into.
Image Image Image
MrCafecito

Post by MrCafecito »

TheDoctor wrote:Really, it's best to use courtroom minis as popups. Generally, you'll want one for each witness. That way, instead of having one for every character that shows up in court, you only need to have one image featuring everyone you're using at that point in time.

I realize that doesn't exactly answer your question about the glitch, but it's worth looking into.
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing lately, but the glitched sprites are not ony these ones, but also others, so it's quite troublesome.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I think you have encountered this bug. The short version is that we know and the bug will be fixed the next time that Unas updates AAO.

For your case, your trial data is corrupted. I can manually fix the trial data, but I won't be able to do it for a few days. Let me know if you'd want me to do it. Your trial will be safe to edit, but the more frames you add to it, the more time it takes for me to fix your trial.
MrCafecito

Post by MrCafecito »

It seems like it.
If you fix it, will this bug disappear and all will all frames be kept? If so, that would be awesome.
I've read some support topics and noticed that if I have too many frames the editor gets clunky, so I'll be looking into making the next part in a new trial.
Thanks a lot!