Menus Failing to work

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

newfieshark
Spoken languages: English

Menus Failing to work

Post by newfieshark »

Ok So whenever I hover over the arrow (Say for character used as base) the menu won't show up. If I click the arrow, it shows up for one second and then disappears. So it is effectively impossible for me to actually select any characters because the menu doesn't work, let alone anything else in the editor. Please help.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Menus Failing to work

Post by Enthalpy »

You need to click the arrows, not hover over them.

I need your browser and your operating system, first of all...
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Trainer Gold

Post by Trainer Gold »

I have a simillar problem. If I click the menu I have to hold it for it to stay. Then I can't select anything.

I'm using Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge!
YoU aRE nO LonGEr uSeFul
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the best browsers to use with the editor currently. Microsoft Edge hasn't been sufficiently tested.
Image Image Image
Trainer Gold

Post by Trainer Gold »

I have Google Chrome on my Windows 7 laptop...
YoU aRE nO LonGEr uSeFul
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Do you see the same error on Chrome?

Like TheDoctor says, Microsoft Edge is a newer browser and is still missing some important features, and as such, has not been tested. I can't even get Microsoft Edge running on my virtual machine, which is why I have a hard time testing this one.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

It happens for me in Edge too.
Trainer Gold

Post by Trainer Gold »

Yeah. I'm sticking with Chrome now.
YoU aRE nO LonGEr uSeFul
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

newfieshark wrote:Ok So whenever I hover over the arrow (Say for character used as base) the menu won't show up. If I click the arrow, it shows up for one second and then disappears. So it is effectively impossible for me to actually select any characters because the menu doesn't work, let alone anything else in the editor. Please help.
I also have this problem on Chrome and Firefox sometimes, either on the music, sound or character drop-down menu. The only way to solve this is either hold the arrow, hover over a selection while still holding and release on a selection and proceed like normal or save and proceed like normal.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm fairly sure the glitch you're talking about is different from the one reported here, but just in case.

Which character drop-down menu? Does this exist in the Characters tab or the Frames tab? If frames tab, is there for selecting the character or the sprite?
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Enthalpy wrote:I'm fairly sure the glitch you're talking about is different from the one reported here.
Actually, it's like the one Trainer Gold mentioned.
Enthalpy wrote:Which character drop-down menu? Does this exist in the Characters tab or the Frames tab?
Both.
Enthalpy wrote:If frames tab, is there for selecting the character or the sprite?
For selecting the sprite.

Pretty much every drop-down menu that has the same structure as the later mentioned here has had this problem at least once.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

So far, users have reported two bugs similar to yours. The first one occurs only on Microsoft Edge. Given how new Edge is, I think that the problem is with the browser. I can't fix problems on the browser, and Edge is not recommended anyways, so I don't care much. The second one has only been reported with the sound and music selects, which are inside things called minieditors. I investigated that one earlier, and the problem was with the minieditor. (A minieditor is what appears when you hover over certain parts of a frame row. The music minieditor appears when you hover over the music cell, the sound minieditor for the sound cell, and the place and position minieditor when you hover over the place preview.)

This occurs even if the selection field is not inside a minieditor, like with "Character base" on the Characters tab. So either you are using Microsoft Edge and haven't told me about it, or this is a completely new bug.

What browser are you using, and what operating system? Do you have any more detailed reproduction steps?
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Well, this has happened on both Windows 7 and 10 while using Chrome. It never happened on Firefox.

A for reproduction details:
Keep selecting those kinds of menus and, every once in a while, the menu will disappear, like I was just hovering over it. If it happens once, it won't stop on the menu it happened unless you change to Firefox and back to Chrome (simply closing Chrome or going to Incognito mode didn't work for me). I tested it out of curiosity on Edge, and this happens instantly.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

What do you mean by "it won't stop on the menu it happened"?

I've tried to reproduce this on my Virtual Machine, but without any luck so far.
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

It also seems to have stopped happening for me, too, even after messing around with the sound/music menus in 30+ frames and selecting sprites for characters. However, it did happen once on the music menus in the frames tab, but it fixed itself when I clicked the menu.

I really have no idea what has happened :random: . It kept happening for me since I joined AAO. Maybe it was something with Chrome and an update fixed this.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage