[P] Start Button and Author Name Missing

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Reverie
Spoken languages: English

[P] Start Button and Author Name Missing

Post by Reverie »

Link to case.

Even when fully loaded, this case does not display a "start" button. Clicking where it usually appears causes nothing to happen. Additionally, the trial creator's username is not displayed in the top right.
Can't find any other instances of this happening, not even with much older trials like T. Nightmare.
energizerspark

Re: [P] Start Button and Author Name Missing

Post by energizerspark »

Hmm. That's odd. It definitely worked when I made that thread.
Perhaps the account got deleted and that caused the player to screw up?
EDIT: Nope, the account's still around.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Ah, this is a known bug, and one that's already fixed on the developmental version of AAO.

Trials are converted from one "version" of AAO to the next when they're saved, and only when they are saved. So any trial that was last saved in v5 will be in v5 format, but trials that were last saved in an earlier version will still be in that older version. Most trials are v5 or v6, with some of the older ones in v1. Very rarely, you'll come across a trial that is v2, v3, or v4. This particular trial is from v4, which is critical.

What is currently happening is a bug in converting v2, v3, and v4 trials into v6. There was a tiny mistake in writing the converter, and as a result, when the player tries to load popups, the trial file doesn't even know what popups are. The trial player very understandably crashes. (More technically, the converter is missing the lines of code that adds popups to trial_data, so trial_data.popups is undefined, causing a crash on line 75 of player_images.js.) A major bug like this would have shown up much earlier, but v2-v4 trials are rare enough that most people never come across them.

This bug is fixed on the developer version of AAO (pull request #19), and the trial will be operable on the main site the next time Unas updates it. You'd have to ask him when the next update will be, though my best guess is that it won't be until after we finish resolving issue #2, at the earliest.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Actually, there shouldn't be any Def2 or Def3 trial : these file formats were experimental and never released.
Editor V1 and V2 relied on Def1 format, editor V3 and V4 relied on Def4, V5 on Def5, and V6 on Def6 currently.

Anyway, thanks for the report. I'll try to take some time to work on issue #2 again this weekend so that we can update the site soon.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Sorry to necro this thread, but after some investigation I've found something that seems weird.
I opened that trial in the editor, just to see what I'd find.
What I found is about half of it is missing. At least, I think. I'm not sure, I might be misremembering it. But I'm pretty sure that this case used to have considerably more content. Maybe I've just got the wrong trial?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Remember how I said that v6 doesn't know what popups are for this trial? Well, frame 21 has a popup. v6 doesn't know how to handle it and crashes. There are 127 frames total; they just don't show up and won't show up until the next AAO release.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson