[P]Talk and Present menus glitch

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

[P]Talk and Present menus glitch

Post by Nicky Boy »

Operating System: Tested on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10
Web Browser: Tested on Firefox 48.0 and Chrome
Link: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/player. ... 9192&debug
Description: When you end a conversation either by pressing Talk or Present and returning to their respecting menus, the character or his/her pose doesn't change to the one set in the Main Frame Screen Editor
How to reproduce:
Same character, Different pose:
In my trial, go to frame 362, and have Trucy Wright and the third Wesley Stickler checked. Present Wesley Stickler. Notice how the pose doesn't change. Immediately after that, present Trucy Wright. Notice how the pose changes, but doesn't return to the normal one. Without leaving the "Select Profile/Character" menu (my guess as to the name), press Wesley again. Notice how the pose is still the one after presenting Trucy.

Different character:
Go to frame 414, and have the Bracelet and Wesley's Mug Report checked. Present the latter. Notice how Ema is on the screen. Immediately after that, present the Bracelet. Notice how Trucy now appears on the "Select Profile/Character" menu, even though Ema is on the main frame. Without leaving this menu, present the Report again. Notice how Ema is speaking, but Trucy is on-screen.

Currently no example of this on the Talk menu, but it has happened once in the past, in an old trial that I have deleted.

There's a way to avoid this by having a 1ms frame before the end of the conversation with the correct character/pose, but that takes time and consumes frames.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [P]Talk and Present menus glitch

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks for the report. I've noticed this before but somehow forgot to write it down.

For future reference, this has nothing to do with internet browsers or operating systems. After you finish a talk option, you go through some "invisible frames" that take you back to the frame where you define talk options. At no point does the display reset to the main frame. The same applies to present options.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

For the record, this also happens with music. (Well, since it doesn't reset to main frame, it's kinda obvious.)

I don't know if I'm the one to talk on this, but, shouldn't the Main Frame's data pass on to the Talk/Present options? Otherwise, everytime the character/pose/music changes, you would have to set a frame with the correct one(s), but if you have 6 present and 2 talk options in 4 places each, that's a lot of wasted frames.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The trouble is that people may not want the original frame after going to the talk options. If your main frame is Gumshoe relaxed and with happy music, and then you have an intense talk conversation that changes the music and his pose, do you really want those changed back?

I'll need to think about this one, specifically what the canon games did and what the v5 behavior was. I don't want to create any changes that would cause problems for old cases without a very good reason.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Ok. I actually hadn't though of that. And, now that I think more about it, the AA games did change poses and music all the time. However, like I said, the fix consumes frames. Maybe it can be an extra option...

But I hold no power over this.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Post by samuko »

I have another way to get it, but is so vague: I put nothing in the Main Frame Screen Editor and hide all the start conversation frames once I passed it and I put a frame with the music, main sprites of the place and *Reveal start conversation* of that scene. So, when I enter again in that place, I skip all the conversation except those two frames (that reveal the start conversation and put the main music and characters).

I explain it with an image:
Spoiler : :
(Ignore the last frame)
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

:random: I don't understand Spanish (besides some similar with English words), so the image isn't much help.

Anyway, it still doesn't solve the problem I mentioned. What you showed is instead a solution for Enthalpy's Gumshoe problem.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

He was giving a "workaround" for how to get this effect with the current AAO. He was not giving a suggestion on how I could change AAO to overcome the Gumshoe problem.
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Post by samuko »

Nicky Boy wrote::random: I don't understand Spanish (besides some similar with English words), so the image isn't much help.

Anyway, it still doesn't solve the problem I mentioned. What you showed is instead a solution for Enthalpy's Gumshoe problem.
Sorry, I forgot to change the language. (=3)
It means "Hide frames" (all conversation frames) and "Reveal the start conversation".

I know it's so vague, but is very difficult to explain. :gumshoe:

If you want to try, I can add you as collaborator.
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Enthalpy wrote:He was giving a "workaround" for how to get this effect with the current AAO. He was not giving a suggestion on how I could change AAO to overcome the Gumshoe problem.
That's what I meant by "solution" here.
samukomini wrote:
Nicky Boy wrote::random: I don't understand Spanish (besides some similar with English words), so the image isn't much help.

Sorry, I forgot to change the language. (=3)
It means "Hide frames" (all conversation frames) and "Reveal the start conversation".

I know it's so vague, but is very difficult to explain. :gumshoe:

If you want to try, I can add you as collaborator.
No need, I understood that perfectly. By having having everything in the main frame set to "Nada" gives you flexibility, like on the Gumshoe situation.

Anyway, since there are multiple ways to overcome this problem, I think there's no need for further discussion.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage