[P] Problem proceeding to a frame

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

[P] Problem proceeding to a frame

Post by samuko »

(I use Windows 10 and Google Chrome, but probably that doesn't matter)

I have an error in a psycho-lock conversation. I'm going to explain it with images:
I select the option: "Ask the player for evidence" and set the correct evidence to proceed to the frame 1677:
Normally, if you present the correct evidence (frame 1669), you should go to the frame 1677; but this is what really happens:
Spoiler : gif :
After the :takethat: pop-up is reproduced, the game finishes!!

Please, can anyone help me? I can't continue my trial with that. :gumshoe:
Last edited by samuko on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [P] Trouble proceeding to a frame

Post by Enthalpy »

Could you add me as a collaborator or playtester to the trial? I need to look at the case myself to diagnose the problem.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
samuko

Post by samuko »

Ok, you're added.
The bug is in the scene of the bottom.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I cannot reproduce this bug on Firefox or Chrome.

I am using the debugger to go directly to frame 1586, selecting the option in the middle, then presenting "Registro del ascensor." I can continue the game just fine. Please try to reproduce this bug the same way. If you can still reproduce it using the way I used, I will try to use Windows 10 instead of my Mac. If you cannot, check if you can reproduce it however you reproduced it originally. If you can reproduce it that way, give me detailed instructions on what you did, and a save state if applicable. If you cannot reproduce it that way, that means there is nothing for me to investigate.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
samuko

Post by samuko »

Ok, I've tried to reproduce the game since the frame (1586 and present the correct evidence) you said me. Now, the game continues normally.
I'm trying different ways but it always continues correctly, I don't know what happened yesterday.

Thanks, anyway!

EDIT: I tried starting the game since a save that I created yesterday (in frame 1669) and presenting the correct evidence, it happens again... :random:
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Can you give me the save link?
samuko

Post by samuko »

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Yes, that. Now I can reproduce the bug.

When I try loading that save, a message appears that reads, "El caso ha sido editado desde que guardó. Puede que su experiencia de juego sea inconsistente." Or in English, "The trial has been edited since you saved your game. This might result in an inconsistent game."

I'll look further at this so I can figure out what exactly caused this inconsistency, but I suspect that it isn't a bug in AAO after all. I'll post here when I know for certain.

EDIT: It looks like, for some reason, your save state has only 1664 frames, rather than the full 1720 that it should have had. The "missing" frames start right where your game started glitching. That confirms that your trial is completely fine; only that save is bad. It does not, however, tell me why that save is bad.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I've done some investigating and found the cause of the problem. There is a bug in the system that AAO uses to handle saves. Because of this bug, in certain cases, if you load a save and then change the number of frames, AAO will act like the number of frames has not changed.

I hope to have this fixed for the next release.
samuko

Post by samuko »

Oh, I see. So, when I load a save after editing... will this happen again? I usually do it when I'm creating a cross-examination or a psycho-locks conversation and, that I remember, it never happened.

I have another save that has the same problem:
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/player. ... MDM1fX0%3D
in case you want to investigate more.

When you want, I remove you as collaborator.
Thanks for help! :pearlhappy:
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That save has exactly the same problem as the previous one.

You will encounter this bug any time you add frames after saving, if you saved after you hid/revealed frames. (The actual trigger condition is broader, but I'll spare you the technical details.) So yes, you will always encounter this bug for this trial until it is fixed.

If you didn't encounter this before, it is probably because:
* This bug only started in late September. You would not have noticed it before then.
* You did not meet the trigger conditions for the bug then. If you did not change frame visibility before then, you would (probably) not encounter it.

In the meantime, use the debugger to jump to the frame you want to test, and toggle the evidence visibility manually. That way, you do not have to load saves while editing the trial.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, yes, I personally wouldn't consider this as a bug.
Loading a save on a trial which structure has been modified in the meantime is not supposed to be supported in my opinion.

For this specific use case (loading a save after extending the trial), it would be useful to support it though... but indeed it goes against the philosophy of the diff/patch algo. We'll have to think a bit more about this one.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )