Trial Editor Won't Save and Won't Playtest

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Waffles7777777
Spoken languages: English

Trial Editor Won't Save and Won't Playtest

Post by Waffles7777777 »

I am fairly new to this site, so please forgive anything seemingly stupid or wrong.

I have two problems, both in the trial editor:

User Agent String: Chrome 55.0.2883.87 on Unknown Windows OS
Link: I don't know what sort of link I can provide. Again, I am new here, so please forgive me for doing something that may seem very obvious to you. If someone can tell me what link I can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.
What happened?: The bigger of my two problems is the editor not saving. I was in the middle of creating a trial when I decided to see if everything is saved. So I logged in on another tab and opened my trial to find nothing was saved. I have tried hitting the save button multiple times, but nothing seems to be loading or popping up. I have spent a long time on this trial, and I would hate to see it all go to waste. My other, smaller problem is my inability to playtest in the editor. Everytime I click the button it leads me to a page that looks like this:

Request-URI Too Large

The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at sd-20976.dedibox.fr Port 80

This also happens no matter how much click the button. My first problem is the more major of the two, but if someone can help me out with this too, that would be awesome!

What did you expect to happen?: I expected everything to work fine. I expected my trial to save and I expected to be able to playtest when I pressed the corresponding buttons.
Can you reproduce the problem?: Possibly. I am too scared of losing my trial editor save data to attempt it however.
What did you do before the problem showed up?: I worked on my trial normally, with no other glitches or buttons not reacting or doing their assigned task.

If anyone has any idea what is going on or what I can do, it would be much appreciated. Help me troubleshoot these problems and save my trial!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Trial Editor Won't Save and Won't Playtest

Post by Enthalpy »

The fact that playtesting isn't working just means that you have "too many" unsaved changes; there is a point at which your trial is so different from the last saved one that dynamic playtesting won't work anymore. I'll have to look into this later to see if anything can be done about this, but I'm not hopeful. In the meantime, let's see if we can get the save working.

First, I need you to open the dev console on the tab with the trial. You can do this by hitting Ctrl+Shift+J. Hit the save button, then copy-paste what appears in the console after you hit save to this topic, so I can look at it.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

One other thing - go to this topic and follow the instructions. They say that they are for Firefox, but they should work for Chrome too. This will download your trial to your computer as a .txt file, and there is a way to turn that back into your case. If we can't get the save button to work, then as a last resort, this will allow you to get your work back.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

Thank you for all the help! I'll look at the linked topic. Here's what the dev console says:

Failed to decode downloaded font:
editor.php?trial_id=93280:1 http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/CSS/PWExtended.woff

OTS parsing error: invalid version tag
editor.php?trial_id=93280:1
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That's really all that it says when you click on the save button? There isn't anything about XHR or XmlHTTPRequest?
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

I don't see anything for either of those terms, sorry to say.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Alright, that's a bad sign... Let me know when you're done with Ferdielance's instructions and have the file generated. If neither of those terms show up in the console, I'll have a hard enough time finding the problem that getting your data saved immediately is the first priority.
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

Upon second inspection, I think I might have found XHR somewhere. I'm sorry, I didn't think of using Ctrl+F until just now (It's about 1:00 AM where I am, so I'm a bit tired). Anyways, here's what I found:

/Javascript/editor_save.js?v=1427839726:78
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

I'm sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase because of my mistake. It's really all my fault, I should have thought of searching it using Crtl+F earlier and applying more common sense to the situation. Thank you for all the help, even if I may have messed up a few times.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Again, go through Ferdie's instructions if you haven't already, and let me know when that's done. Getting a copy of your data is the first priority.

After that, can you tell me what the next few lines in the console are after the one you gave me? Anything about XHR, XML, XMLHttpRequest, or a connection is extremely important. Because I don't know what's causing this bug, the next few lines are likely to be quite important.
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

I'm going to copy the data right now, I'll give you this information in the meantime.

I didn't see anything else containing XHR, XML, or XMLHttpRequest in the rest of the console.

As for the next few lines, I used the Snipping Tool and gave you an image, if this doesn't work, let me know.
file:///C:/Users/SSteck01/Pictures/Saved%20Pictures/snipp.PNG
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

You'll need to upload it to a filehosting site like imgur and give me the URL. What you gave me is a location of a file on your hard drive. Since I don't have your hard drive, there's not much I can do with it.
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

Sorry about that, you can probably tell I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world. I apologize for messing up so much.

http://imgur.com/qaPButp
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Error code 403, huh? That's supposed to spawn a popup window that reads, "Failed to save : you don't have the permission to save this trial." Did you see anything like that?

I do want to make sure you have that copy of your trial data before we proceed to the next phase of debugging. Let me know when that's done, or if you're stuck and have a question for me! Once we're done with that, I'm inclined to call it a night. Now that I have an error code, I expect that I won't need any more data from your developer console.
Waffles7777777

Post by Waffles7777777 »

I made a copy already, so I am ready to move on. I didn't see the "Failed to save : you don't have the permission to save this trial." anywhere.