[P] Character Ordering Inconsistent

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[P] Character Ordering Inconsistent

Post by TheDoctor »

So, as I have a lot of multi-character scenes in Turnabout of the Golden Witch, I'm noticing some inconsistency with how the characters are ordered on the screen.

I made a trial detailing the problem here. Behavior is identical on Firefox and Chrome. http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/player. ... 3291&debug
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [P] Character Ordering Inconsistent

Post by Enthalpy »

This is actually fairly straightforward:

You assume that AAO works by doing "hide previously shown characters" first and then adding new characters. This is incorrect.

It actually starts by looking at all the characters that are currently on-screen and does the most economical thing to get each character to where it should be by the end of the frame. If "hide previously shown characters" is checked, but a character that was on-screen is still defined on this frame, AAO could hide the character and then put up a new one, or it could just change the sprite directly. The latter is easier for computers to do, so it goes ahead with that. In a world where fine layering control isn't important, there are no drawbacks to it! If, however, there is a frame where the sprite needs to go, the sprite is removed for that frame.

Don't expect this part of the graphics engine to change. We'll probably keep that part of the inner workings the same but add a system to control character layering directly.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson