[E] Trial Editor began acting wonky after inserting 5th CE

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

CreativeAttorney
Spoken languages: English

[E] Trial Editor began acting wonky after inserting 5th CE

Post by CreativeAttorney »

So hi, this is my first time posting here, and I wanted to report a bug concerning my trial, Turnabout Dank Trials. I'll try to be as detailed as possible. Here's the link to the editor for the trial: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/editor. ... l_id=93884
After I put in the 5th CE, I copy-pasted the statements to press/present/etc... and started to edit the Co-counsel conversation. When I did this, the first frame for it kept duplicating (same frame number, would copy edits done in the scene editor to the other frame, but not the text). I deleted those frames, tried again, same stuff. I couldn't get a screenshot since I thought it wasn't a major problem, sorry. I did get one however when I was editing the failure conversation (The frame number appears as "NaN"), here's the screenshot: Image and also when I was trying to edit the trial after the CE, the "insert new frame" button wouldn't create a new frame after that. Before this, I had put in an "Objection!" frame, but when I saved and reloaded, that frame disappeared. I would try to replicate these problems, but unfortunately, when I try to access the editor, it's stuck on "Loading...", so I'm unable to. Sorry if I'm a bit unclear on things, I'll try to explain as best as I can if there's more information you need to know, thanks!
"That's ENOUGH!" -Rayfa Padma Khura'in
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] Trial Editor began acting wonky after inserting 5th

Post by Enthalpy »

This is definitely a bug, and a serious one, by the looks of it. I'll poke around your trial later tonight to see if I can find the problem. in the meantime, please don't touch your trial further.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
CreativeAttorney

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help! (And only I would encounter a serious bug my first trial. :P)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm currently investigating this. The issue has turned out to be trickier than I thought.

I can tell you that this is, as I thought, a bug in the row map system. I have all the data I need from your trial. You can resume editing by going to this page, clicking the second "open in the editor" from the trial, and resuming editing from there. Some data has been lost, but unfortunately, that is not possible to repair. I'll see if I can find the bug.

EDIT: Adding a frame to the end of the trial works fine in your second-most recent save, but breaks your most recent save. When I check updatesToPerform after definition in rowSectionMapEdit in editor_row_section.js, I find a one-element array for your second most-recent save, and null for your most recent save. I assume the error is here!
EDIT: In the bugged case, the row_map height changes for block i=54 of length=58. In the functioning case and a control that also adds a new frame right after a CE, this occurs at i=length-2. I assume this is the cause of our bug, as the row map is sending our frame to the wrong block.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
CreativeAttorney

Ah, thank you so much for looking into this! I'm happy I can get my trial back and working on it. Very grateful!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I've done some additional digging, and it looks like at least part of the problem is that the end frame for your last CE was missing. I'm going to look into how that might have happened, and whether that really explains the whole problem...

Could you be clearer on when the first time you saved after making the 5th CE was? I've finished digging into this, and it looks like your CE control frames were somehow corrupted. The relevant row contains references to frames that don't exist. The exact save time is important. Did you delete any frames before then?
CreativeAttorney

Hmm, the firsf time I saved after making that? I believe it was after I finished copypasting the statements in. If that isn't exact enough, my apologies. It's been a while, and most of that has slipped my mind. I think I might have deleted a frame, but I'm not really sure. I could've just edited it. Again, my apologies, I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Unfortunately, that doesn't give me much of a clue as to what happened to the trial data. I'll poke around to see if I can reproduce this, but I don't have my hopes very high up.