[P] Fastclick and Scroll, and All Sprites Vanish Forever

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Semper Solus
Spoken languages: English, עברית, Español
Location: You know, I actually have no idea. I should probably turn off the computer and check.

[P] Fastclick and Scroll, and All Sprites Vanish Forever

Post by Semper Solus »

User Agent String: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Link: http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=101271
What happened?: All characters (people/actors, not letters) disappear from the game if the following steps are taken:
  • 1. Have a bunch of frames that move from character to character with the scroll type, "ease out". EDIT: it also happens with "ease in" and "bezier", but could NOT be reproduced with "linear".
    2. Fastclick through some text. The more you do it, the more likely it happens (it seems).
    3. Change places (by which I mean locations or backgrounds).
After those steps are completed, all sprites are gone, and all commands that require those sprites to be there (such as the camera centering on them) are not executed.
What did you expect to happen?: I expected the sprites not to disappear.
Can you reproduce the problem?: I wouldn't start this thread if I couldn't! The thread I linked to is, as usual, my attempt to reproduce it. I have gotten a consistent result every time. Maya's sprite vanishes. (When she says, "How many fingers am I holding up, she's actually in the Across pose, like she's asking the witness.) Then, so do Phoenix's, Edgeworth's, and Gumshoe's. If you see the same thing I do, you'll note that the camera does not pan.
What did you do before the problem showed up?: Both the trial I'm presently working on (where the bug was discovered) and this reproduction were made in Catalysis. After I found the bug, I tried raising the text speed to 1.5 to discourage fastclicking, and it didn't help. I didn't realize the cause was scene changes until I made #101271. I tried running this trial with my VPN both on and off, so this probably wasn't a bandwidth issue. I installed a JavaScript blocker on my browser (with this site whitelisted) after I discovered the bug, but before I wrote the reproduction trial. I do not think that has any causal relation, but it may explain why the two desks and the witness stand were replaced by a broken link symbol in the top left corner.

Really hoping this one is a simple "update your browser" deal.
(which yknow i would but)
(that would mean closing my tabs)
Last edited by Semper Solus on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samuko
Spoken languages: Español, Français, English

Re: [P] Fastclick and Scroll, and All Sprites Vanish Forever

Post by samuko »

I also noticed this bug, and the only way to stop it is save and reset the game.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Semper Solus wrote:Really hoping this one is a simple "update your browser" deal.
It isn't.

The non-linear transitions have been bugged since they were first implemented. I didn't know about this particular bug, but it sounds like it's the same culprit. We've had the known bugs fixed on the developmental version of AAO since 2016, and I assume that your problem will also be fixed when the engine gets updated. I'll need to look into it myself to confirm that, but I hope to have a yes/no answer for you later tonight.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Confirmed that the bug is fixed on the developmental version. Nothing to do for this one but to wait for Unas to release it. I'm afraid I have no idea when that will be.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson