[T][SoJ] Turnabout Trickery ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Re: [T][SoJ] Turnabout Trickery ☆

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Urgh, I stayed up till two AM playing this. You're breaking my sleep schedule apart! Regret it!

Spoiler : SoC (whatever that means) :
Such srz business. I never like it when things get too serious.
Instinctively going back to the old form of address. Good going, Apollo.
Mr. Gavin has good in him...? Nope! Ragequitting!
I wanted to act all cool and mysterious!
I wonder if that was the first time I saw Edgeworth being called out by the Judge.
Updated autopsy reporttttt
Really bad at testimonies with a lot of statements.
Ah, the judge is competitive. Great.
Ah, she's going out of her way to let Edgeworth be embarrassed, this is great.
Of course Wright acted for the lulz. Why wouldn't he.
Gavin laughing is so funny. I'm laughing out loud like crazy.
That broken/writer's notes penalty is phenomenal. I know the pain of having billions of penalties to write.
The way the judge smiles is amazing.
The way he just replies that he's fine every time the judge bullies him is fantastic. It's instinct.
The glorious DD act. Yes...
Must be a really good brand of grape juice.
Let's use the mastermind music. Why not.
"I don't know what he's doing... But that, too, is part of my plan." Grape Juice is truly amazing.
Haha. A twist. A twist I really didn't expect. How do people come up with this stuff? How do they work around the cannon cases? My brand of trial-making is making stuff up when something stops making sense until it makes sense again.
And now you're going back to the past and talking about Gavin and Phoenix's disbarment. Bloody hell.
Drunkards.
Spoiler : Thoughts :
I always think trials made by other people are amazing. They have mysteries, and oftentimes they work around established canon. The retrial cases look really hard to make.
I can't solve half the puzzles on my own (even if puzzles aren't the reason I play these games).
This is all a bit darker than I'm used to, and a lot of characters were acting all evil and stuff. It fits this case, but I don't like seeing them like that. Sometimes. Sometimes I do like seeing characters such a Trucy or Phoenix act like masterminds.
Edgeworth... I see Edgeworth as a man who would not cooperate in hiding the truth. Along with Apollo, perhaps the only two lawyers I see as being incorruptible (I don't remember if Edgeworth actually committed any crimes in canon, despite the implications). This isn't the role he played in this case so much, but that's fine.
The judge is really good. It was only recently I found I have a much easier and more enjoyable time writing judges when I don't use the default one. I'm just not good at his brand of comedy besides the occasional hearing, eyesight, or irresponsibility joke. But this judge has a great character.
Kristoph was a criminal version of himself, though those moments at the end where you tried to tie up the plotpoints were great as well. What a dream. Every time he laughed was also hilarious, though.
Fantastic case.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Replies in bold.
Tiagofvarela wrote:Urgh, I stayed up till two AM playing this. You're breaking my sleep schedule apart! Regret it!
Dohohohoho
Spoiler : SoC (whatever that means) :
Such srz business. I never like it when things get too serious.
Instinctively going back to the old form of address. Good going, Apollo.
Mr. Gavin has good in him...? Nope! Ragequitting!
I wanted to act all cool and mysterious!
I wonder if that was the first time I saw Edgeworth being called out by the Judge.
Updated autopsy reporttttt
Really bad at testimonies with a lot of statements.
Ah, the judge is competitive. Great.
Ah, she's going out of her way to let Edgeworth be embarrassed, this is great.
Of course Wright acted for the lulz. Why wouldn't he.
Gavin laughing is so funny. I'm laughing out loud like crazy.
That broken/writer's notes penalty is phenomenal. I know the pain of having billions of penalties to write.
The way the judge smiles is amazing.
The way he just replies that he's fine every time the judge bullies him is fantastic. It's instinct.
The glorious DD act. Yes...
Must be a really good brand of grape juice.
Let's use the mastermind music. Why not.
"I don't know what he's doing... But that, too, is part of my plan." Grape Juice is truly amazing.

The best part of this joke is that it's also a foreshadowing.

Haha. A twist. A twist I really didn't expect. How do people come up with this stuff? How do they work around the cannon cases? My brand of trial-making is making stuff up when something stops making sense until it makes sense again.

If you did read my post in SoJ topic, you would know that I was really unhappy that after 2 next games we didn't return to the topic of Trucy giving Apollo the forged evidence. And if you check the trial in the editor, you will see that the very first frames I created was Trucy's testimony, up to the start of her CE. The original idea always was "Apollo handles Gavin's appeal to reveal Trucy as the forger and the person that was fooling both him and Gavin all the time".

Trucy being the forger isn't a new theory (I believe this was the initial idea, but Mitsuru Endo and Yamazaki were told to push the Jurist System and drop the entire forged evidence plotline), and there is already one of DWaM's cases that has her as the forger. But my focus went on the "why would she make him pick one of many cards" question. The answer was obvious - to make the bailiffs testimony not enough to accuse her for giving the bloody ace, in a game that was about criminals gaming the court system.

And that clicked with everything from Trucy not recognizing Apollo in 4-2, to Phoenix no longer being any mastermind post AJ. Unfortunately, the last interesting thing that Trucy ever did was her self-kidnapping in 4-2, and then she never once again was anything more than Maya 3.0. And she remained the worst of them all - all the others contribute as a supporting character, post 4-2 Trucy only hangs around.

And now you're going back to the past and talking about Gavin and Phoenix's disbarment. Bloody hell.
Drunkards.
Spoiler : Thoughts :
I always think trials made by other people are amazing. They have mysteries, and oftentimes they work around established canon. The retrial cases look really hard to make.
I can't solve half the puzzles on my own (even if puzzles aren't the reason I play these games).
This is all a bit darker than I'm used to, and a lot of characters were acting all evil and stuff. It fits this case, but I don't like seeing them like that. Sometimes. Sometimes I do like seeing characters such a Trucy or Phoenix act like masterminds.
Edgeworth... I see Edgeworth as a man who would not cooperate in hiding the truth. Along with Apollo, perhaps the only two lawyers I see as being incorruptible (I don't remember if Edgeworth actually committed any crimes in canon, despite the implications). This isn't the role he played in this case so much, but that's fine.

I know that the most controversial decision here is how Edgeworth helps Phoenix in covering up the ace, but... I really see it as the only way he would behave.

Let's analyze what is canonical. During the entire time between 4-1 and 4-4, Edgeworth did absolutely nothing about the ace. It doesn't seem like anything happened between AJ and DD. In DD Edgeworth works with Phoenix on Blackquill's case, and nothing suggests that the card was ever a problem.

I don't believe that Edgeworh would never get interested about 4-1. His absence then can be explained with another foreign business, but, by DD, he for sure would at least read the transcript of that trial. Then, why would Edgeworth do nothing?

The only cases that I've played and touched the subject of ace and had Edgeworth in it (both were DWaM's), had Edgeworth being completely oblivious about the forged evidence. And, for me, that's far more OOC for Edgeworth than realizing the truth and helping in covering it up. The ace was blatantly fishy, only Udgy and Payne could be fooled about it (Klavier could be conflicted about Kristoph, at that point). Neither there was anything stopping Miles from learning what the bailiffs saw.

He had to know it. He knew that, after seven years of nothing being done about Gavin, that concluded with Trucy's father being murdered, Phoenix became desperate enough to break the law. The man that was his friend, that Miles himself tried to get sentenced to death, despite being clearly aware of White's guilt and corruption. The friend, that even in such a way couldn't be made to abandon his quest of saving him.

Miles had no other choice than to stick with Phoenix, just like he did stick with White. After all, his Demon Prosecutor ways weren't about breaking any law, just to legally making sure that nothing inconvenient could be discovered. The only time when Edgeworth actually broke a law here, was when he asked Key to illegally investigate Gavins, which was about finding the truth.

I too see both Apollo and Edgeworth as Lawful Good characters, but here Edgeworh is conflicted between what is lawful and what is good. Edgeworth chooses the good, while Apollo seemingly chooses the lawful. But Apollo, since the start, had a solution for this dilemma - the law has loopholes that can be used to defend a Chaotic Good criminal. And this is 100% lawful, making the entire dilemma non-existing.

The judge is really good. It was only recently I found I have a much easier and more enjoyable time writing judges when I don't use the default one. I'm just not good at his brand of comedy besides the occasional hearing, eyesight, or irresponsibility joke. But this judge has a great character.

I don't have a problem with writing Udgy, since I do keep him fairly competent, but he always can have convenient moments of incompetence. When I was writing the first scene that I wrote here, I actually had Udgy back then. But I realized that appeal court required a judge that outranked him. Plus, with both the defense and the prosecution actually avoiding straightforward pursuit of the truth (for this or other reason), this trial needed a seriously competent judge. For a moment I was thinking of using Courtney, but I didn't find any good sprite set for her. So, I recycled Themis, from my abandoned Overseen, and made her Courtney's disciple.

Kristoph was a criminal version of himself, though those moments at the end where you tried to tie up the plotpoints were great as well. What a dream. Every time he laughed was also hilarious, though.

That scene was necessary to establish why Phoenix and Trucy ultimately abandoned their AJ ways, and why in DD Phoenix starts his career by doing the absolutely idealist thing he does in the DLC.

Also, I really didn't like how Kristoph was one-dimensionally evil. For me he is the worst main villain. His motive is as petty as von Karma's, but von Karma established himself as an insane genius, so his pettiness felt like anger of a madman. He doesn't have the complexity of Godot, Simon Keys, or even Gant. He is as evil as Dahlia and Matt, but he doesn't have their hate factor. He also has a lackluster boss fight, comparing to the rest of the villains.

I couldn't buy that Phoenix and Edgeworth wouldn't deal with him in seven days, instead of years. So, there was only one explanation - Kristoph Gavin committed only the crimes he was declared guilty of. And not any other. Also, both his plots involving the forged page were genuinely brilliant, and they failed only because of Zak doing unpredictably stupid things.
Fantastic case.
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.
ned63
Spoken languages: English

Post by ned63 »

Gamer2002 wrote:Replies in bold
ned63 wrote:
Spoiler : play the game first :
The plot was great. I always love seeing the "trucy forged the bloody ace" theory in fan cases and this implementation of it is by far my favorite. I loved the characterization for Kristoph at the end, though I thought it was a a bit hard to follow may just be me being stupid though, it makes him far more interesting and even makes the Black Locks make sense whilst DD kind of just retconned what black locks mean. Same for why the Jurist System isn't even acknowledged in DD. I loved all of the references to past and future cases/games; they were all well done and didn't feel out of place to me. Phoenix's "the man who masterminded your game" line was amazing. I loved how we got Kristoph screaming "Justice" in this breakdown.
There were quite a few grammatical/spelling errors (to name a few, when Apollo was going on about honesty, it kept on being spelt as "honestly" I believe, also when they talk about how Zak sat on his chair when he was killed they say "sit" instead of the past tense a lot) but ultimately they weren't anything to the point where it really detracted from the experience, though they did break the immersion slightly.
I also think going into the case knowing that it fits into the current canon of the games really added a lot to the case whilst going through it.
I mostly really enjoyed all the characters- maybe Edgeworth was a little off, but for the most part everything was solid.

I could go on for ages, but at the end of it all, this is one of my favorite cases out of the many I've played. I genuinely wish it was canon- it's a great Rise from the Ashes for Apollo. Damn good stuff.

i would appreciate some more clarification about the post-trial scene and especially the post-credits scene though, this stuff is complicated

Glad you loved it and I'm going to work on the issues you pointed out here.
I especially thank for wishing for it being canon. Giving what I aimed to do here, it's the best complement I can get.

As for post-trial stuff about Kristoph... I don't know what exactly was causing troubles in understanding it. It was speculated that he tricked Phoenix into using forged evidence just to prank Nick and Zak, and then save them himself, that he never tried to kill anyone until after the end of Zak's trial, and even his original intend for the forged evidence was only to use it to scare Valant into cooperation.

As for the post-credit stuff... Well, it's how Phoenix first learned about Apollo working for Kristoph. When they both ended up getting drunk like two morons. Probably Nick, without consulting Trucy again, intended to make Kristoph drunk, to be able to get some info and record it... But this all ended with a huge headache, memory loss, and an accidentally broken camera >]
Spoiler : :
Thanks for the clarification; I guess I was looking too deep into the talk about Kristoph and confusing myself, haha.
Somehow I kind of assumed Phoenix knew about Apollo working at Gavin's office already? Don't know where I got that from or how I misunderstood, but thanks for clearing it up.

Again, excellent case- I'll definitely revisit it after a while!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Phoenix, at some time before 4-1, learned about Apollo working for Kristoph, but they never met before 4-1.
The last scene happens at that unspecified moment where Kristoph tells Phoenix about Apollo.
wizmeister777

Post by wizmeister777 »

Masterful case — the first one I've played on here in a while, to be quite honest.

I have a number of headcanons about Kristoph Gavin. One of the biggest ones involves a certain story on AO3 called Lex Talionis. (I didn't write it, but it truly is wonderful; here is the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/39005 ... rs/8726710)

I got the same vibes from this, which is amazing. You really did a great job of piquing our interest — I was completely stymied by the plan that Apollo was hinting to, and I only understood what you were driving at during the CE immediately previous to the reveal.

Wonderful job, and I hope to see more of your works in the future.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Thank you and I'm honored that my case made you play again and also for first time post here as well.

Currently, I (hope) I'm done with necessary changes I have to do here, before calling upon BP. I committed myself to that the next thing I'll make on AAO will be two next parts of Angela Light's second case. Though I'm also working on an non-AAO thing, as I'm not bounded to any self-rule that prevents me from doing that.

Anyway, case has been updated with fixing some typos and grammar mistakes here and there.
wizmeister777

Post by wizmeister777 »

If you would like, it would be an honor for me to help you proofread. I write for a living, so I've become quite good at picking out and fixing my own mistakes!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Well, won't hurt to have another person go through this. Thanks, I'll send you PM soon.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Welp... sorry again. There were still a lot of minor typos, so... figured it'd be easier to just deal with them myself.
64: I’ve --> I
707: delete the comma
708: nearby --> near
548: at a --> up the
590: Known --> Know
742: be --> have been
726: questioning its own
847: left --> leave (change in cross as well)
1024: grasps at straws
1033: risks-benefits analyze --> risk-benefit analysis
1099: underground --> underground room
1104: did it --> did remove it (or “removed it” or “did”)
1108: gonna --> would
1012: delete second comma
1234: tell now --> now tell you
1199: Requires Phoenix Wright to --> This requires that Phoenix Wright
782: the Point A --> Point A
785: Neither there seems --> Neither does there seem
829: worry --> be worried
832: delete “a”
787: Kitakis --> the Kitakis
788: delete “the”
802: I directly talk --> I’ve directly talked
810: delete the second “be”
814: Forehead, I --> Forehead, but I; profile --> profiles
1294: it’s unlikely for him once being --> unlikely it is that he had once been
1297: he knows --> he’s known
1348: delete commas 2 and 3, and “your”
1344: delete the comma
1331: discuss --> have discussed
1332: could --> could have
1253: could be --> could have been; Touching --> That touches; he --> it (you’ll probably have to reconfigure this line a bit more to then cut it down to 3 lines)
1254: run --> have ran; showing --> showed
2540: answer --> respond
2552: they --> they’re
2566: twice --> twice about
3289: end --> have ended
2593: can --> could
3337: furthers --> furthest
3338: delete the comma and second “to”
3273: delete “to”
2629: Is --> It’s
2641: PAYNELY --> PAYNFULLY (or PAYNEFULLY)
2650: delete “a”
2651: want --> have wanted
2655: was stealing from the victim anything --> had stolen anything from the victim
2677: Locket --> The locket
2701: delete “a”
2793: Unlikely is to --> It’s unlikely you can
2805: his --> to his
2806: delete “him” (or change to “himself”)
2809: an earlier --> a previously
2826: say --> talk
2841: picking --> picking up
3715: delete second “to”
2851: dispose --> have disposed
2857: delete a “that”
2863: delete “to”
2909: to --> on
2880: could --> could have; delete first comma
2882: delete “of”
2883: he’d --> he; delete “for”
2889: it --> they
2905: hid --> hide
3720: that --> that was
3719: were intending --> intended; did provide --> provided
2992: limit --> limits
2928: prosecution’s --> the prosecution’s
2946: But --> But the
2954: won’t --> don’t
3045: too --> either
2982: that --> it
2986: it’s --> it is
3689: allows --> allows one
2992: being --> were
2993: delete the commas
2994: delete “any”
3023: of --> of the
3066: delete “a”
3119: first “I know” --> I’ve known; second “know” --> met
3120: one --> someone
3135: delete the second comma
3136: Gavin catching gimmick --> gimmick to catch Gavin
3137: me --> me that; are --> were
3161: I do --> I’ve done; it is --> much as
3162: did say --> said
3168: was --> had been
3171: Because, while you were highly troubled, I was still seeing in you the better man.
3178: did say --> said
3187: were separated --> separated yourself
3198: of --> of the
3206: bush around it --> beat around the bush
3208: a --> the
3209: out --> to
3224: Have --> Had
293: you’ve --> you
311: into --> into a; to --> to a
313: get --> get to
317: All these years I’ve been there to try to catch him when he slipped up, but he never did!!
315: had --> have
480: the social service --> social services
333: some --> a
355: waste --> wastes
361: delete “of”
375: overlooked --> overlooked the
8: pick --> have picked the (you may need to reconfigure to get down to 3 lines)
9: brought --> took
20: is --> is the
26: you do it --> you’re doing this
38: Numerously --> Numerous
46: needed --> need
2114: him --> him have
2136: delete “about”
2176: first “to” --> for
2249: your --> the
2253: him KILLING --> he KILLED
2422: to my --> me to
3357: , only this --> only that
2276: for --> to
2346: delete “also”; people --> people’s
2286: legal guardian rights --> rights as legal guardian
2325: None --> Neither
2410: them --> to them
2340: second “of” --> from
2354: delete “a”
2361: another --> further
2435: in a --> on
2436: relief --> relieve
2438: forging evidences --> forged evidence
2757: Wrights --> The Wrights
3690: Gavin’s false accusation --> of Gavin’s false accusations
3691: proving with me --> providing me with
2446: another --> further
2456: delete “a”
2459: A --> The
2464: worth nothing --> worth-nothing
2521: aren’t that --> isn’t this
2522: to do --> doing
1360: Indicted for that crime Trucy Wright --> Trucy Wright shall be indicted for that crime and
1364: add period at the end
1366: capitalize the first “one”
1375: adjure --> adjourn
1378: same --> the same
1389: either --> else
1306: delete “an”
1422: showed --> shown
1424: delete the comma
1428: returns --> will return
1450: delete “ANY”
1453: that was so --> it was that; suffer from --> have suffered by
1452: fall --> fell
1456: a --> the
1458: Diary page --> The diary page
1476: WORKOUT --> WORK OUT
1480: Wright --> Wright’s
1481: better pipe it --> better to pipe
1483: take --> have taken
1495: Verdicts --> The verdicts; and --> or
1518: intend --> intent
1520: delete first comma
1522: was being --> wasn’t (I think?)
1523: How clever --> As clever as
1529: the fate --> fate
1568: delete first comma
1570: was --> were
1579: all the --> all
1574: a poison --> poison
1576: both to --> to both
1588: all --> all of
1593: have said it --> said
1625: in --> in the
1630: delete “an”
1635: delete “to”; delete “our” (or games --> game nights)
1636: them --> to them; only was --> and was only
1638: rules --> the rules; lawyer --> legal
1755: Dark --> The Dark
1667: being --> got
1683: a --> the; being --> being the
1686: disciple --> discipline
1690: I know Wright --> Wright, I know
1692: in plans --> plans for
1694: there --> there’s
1697: Past --> The past; future --> the future
1698: Dark --> The Dark; delete “it”
1708: You’ve --> You
1718: delete first “of”; about --> for
1738: you never revealed --> did you never reveal
1740: was --> were
1742: forgeries --> the forgeries
1743: believed --> suspected
2007: he’d --> he
1789: have --> have been having
1798: client --> client’s
2420: delete commas 1 and 3; a --> the
1802: tell --> say these
1813: recommended to everyone his services --> recommended his services to everyone
1817: delete “the”
1835: doors --> door
1846: record --> record it
1866: risks-rewards analyze --> risk-reward analysis
1878: another --> some other
1900: save --> have saved
1912: would be good --> good would it be
1913: little --> small
1917: being --> to be
1925: make --> have made
1926: suspect --> have suspected; mess --> been messing
1927: of --> of the
1928: delete first comma; as hers was to keep --> reason she kept
1934: wish --> have wished; misjudge --> have misjudged
3713: intend --> have intended
1936: just wish --> have just wished
1949: delete second “there”
2084: He never took --> He’s never taken
1953: delete comma
2003: When you will be --> While you’re
2006: in the Agency any grape juice --> any grape juice in the Agency; delete the comma; delete “it”
2064: delete “a”
2082: and --> and a
2078: be --> being
3263: broke --> broken it
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Damn.

Thank you very much for your hard work and generosity, BP. I'll PM you when I'm done fixing things.

But I'd like to officially state that only 5.9% of my trial's frames need fixing :P
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: [T][SoJ] Turnabout Trickery ★

Post by Bad Player »

★ The QA inspection is complete. This case is now featured. Congratulations!
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Dang, congrats Gamer2002! With Tiago's feature just a bit ago, maybe we're seeing a trend?
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Congrats!
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Yes! Feature everything!
Congratulations.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Ten years and one day.

I wasn't openly active until 2013, and when I joined I only messed a bit in the editor and didn't touch it again for like 4 years (lack of available original assets discouraged me). I've released three complete cases, released one unfinished one, and also made lot of unreleased and unfinished ones. And here I am, after over a decade, recognized on a niche fanfiction site of a niche video game series from a niche genre.

Whatever stupid and/or crazy I do next, I'll always treasure everything I learned here.

Anyway, I still plan to make new cases (and to finally finish Confessed Turnabout). But I don't think I'm going to go through QA process ever again (unless I'll need a thorough review ;P). One look at BP's list of grammatical corrections, which was created after the case being proofread couple of times already, should show you that this is too much of trouble. And it's not a trouble I can handle myself, so it becomes a burden for others. I give my thanks to everyone who helped me with this, especially to BP, who didn't have to take it upon himself to finish the job for me. Not that anyone else who did help had to, but you know what I mean :p

I don't mind Turnabout Trickery being my sole featured trial here. I created it after playing DD and SoJ on Android and being disappointed with how the series ended up handling things that I wanted to be satisfyingly handled ever since playing AJ (and moreso after concluding AAI and AAI2). You can read my review of DD and SoJ in SoJ's topic to see me pointing out that, even after the series changed its direction with DD, acknowledging unresolved/abandoned issues from AJ was still possible and would make both games much better, and so AJ. This is what I wanted to prove with my case, which is why it's important for me that it ended up being my featured one.

Special thanks to Unas, for creating this site that allowed us all to be creative. Also special thanks to Enthalpy. He didn't post here, and we not always agree on things (not in small part due to my own ego), but I believe he is a large factor why this site increased its quality from what was flying around here when I joined it. He intervened to stop Turnabout Siblings from becoming featured, and even despite all the disagreements, the change-list that happened afterwards proves that he was right about intervening. Same was with his (and DWaM's) issues with Turnabout Imperfect.

And thanks to everyone congratulating me here and reviewing my case.