[CE][T] The Artist's Turnabout ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

[CE][T] The Artist's Turnabout ●

Post by Super legenda »

Ace Attorney just gets crazier the more time it passes.

A Keeping it Simple comp's entry, hosted by Southern Pun Corn and Cesar.

In this Masterpiece case, Apollo Justice finds a new challenge, The Robbery of a very valuable painting, alongside his co worker, Athena Cykes, they'll fight the Prosecutor Simon Blackquill in a simple yet slightly complex case.

Okay! This case was broken for 3 years due to not having the assets, now today I realized that I got what I needed a month ago and, why not, one hour to fix the case a bit and make it playable again.

Pleeease bear in mind that this kinda sucks, it was made on my early AAO years, and also the first case I've made for the English section and a competition.

Trial: http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=105632

Credits:
Spoiler : :
Phoenix Wright by Hesseldahl.

Athena Cykes by MercurialSK.

Bobby Fulbright rips by Trick.

John Kerrington by DragonTrainer.

Thought Route graphics by TheDoctor

Mood Matrix by Sonnie Celanna

Eli Rubin by Eldariub
Screenshots:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Walkthrough
CE1
Press Statement 3

Present The Security Footage in Statement 1

Select "In The Security Footage"

Point at The Splatter.

Select "It was always there"

CE2:

Optional: Present the Blackout Report in Statement 3.

Present Tim's Photo in Statement 3.

Point at Ron's Head.

Present Tim's Photo in Statement 4

Point at The Hallway in the Right.

Select "Make Someone else testify"

Optional: Present Robert Tim or Picasse's Profiles.

Present Ron Delite's Profile

CE3:

Press Statement 3

Mood Matrix:

Point at Anger in Statement 3

Point at Shock in Statement 5

Thought Route:

Select "Tim".

Select "He has a motive"

Select "Wanted the painting for himself"
Last edited by Super legenda on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Re: [CE][T] The Artist's Turnabout

Post by Southern Corn »

Alright, nice! Looking forward to replaying this again now that the typos have presumably been fixed! If anyone's curious, these are the awards this case won in the ceremony.
Image Understands Deadlines Award- For submitting your cases by the deadline- that too complete!

Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks- For giving us something other than the old cross examination every once in a while. For the "Moody Virtuoso".

Image Skilful Recycling- Who needs custom art when you can reuse official art instead? For the "forgery".
Also, here are me and Cesar's SoCs for this case. Little short and a bit outdated considering most of the problems have been fixed but, y'know.
Spoiler : Cesar :
Alright let's dew this.

wow Apollo the Japanifornia police might be sorta-really unfair but still.

I like how they're not that worried about freaking faked footage

worrying about too many images is me_irl tho

optional contradictions without penalties are nice

Apollo actually getting paid??? #AAcancelled

also adding theme relevance in the dialogue, noice.

Okay, so this case definitely fit the simple theme. Most of the contradictions and stuff were easy, as is the story itself. The presentation was actually mostly cool with all the DD stuff and I mostly didn't find any bugs with the graphics. There is some issues with the dialogue being oddly phrased/sounding unnatural at times, but it's mostly easy to understand despite this, and the actual lines by the characters and all were fine in terms of being IC. The only time I felt the gameplay really suffered from this was when you had to say where the splatter came from, I don't think the actual choice saying "the footage" makes it clear what you are trying to argue there. There's the stuff pointed out earlier about the mood matrix but that's mostly a matter of fixing a bug I guess.

Overall I liked the case well enough I guess, the crime fits the comp and the gameplay is good aside from that bug and the part I mentioned, so the stuff to fix is mainly in the grammar/phrasing of the dialogue. but yeah idk how to end this so uh
Spoiler : Me :
Okay, so I dunno when I’ll get more time to play this so I’m starting this SoC early without Cesar, sorry. But for now, away we go!
As mentioned before, some of the images aren’t properly loading. Just a smidge though.
Interesting intro. Nice to see a non-murder case here. This could have worked in the They Must Not Kill comp as well.
Small nitpick, ‘Ok’ is usually written as ‘okay’ in speech. Also, attorney’s badge as a jewel? Weird classification to me, lol.
“This shiny badge proves that I'm an attorney. I don't know what I would do without this.” ;-;
Also, professions of the characters aren’t usually written in the court record. It also makes it so that the description is exiting the textbox.
Phoenix appearing could use a ‘Huh?’ or an ‘Idea’ sound effect.
Ron DeLite as the defendant again, huh? Interesting.
Another minor nitpick, the star is missing in ‘MaskDeMasque’.
‘MaskDeMasque, like this one?’ There should be a question mark where the comma is, I think.
‘Wow Mr. Delite, you have such a story to tell!’ DeLite, not Delite.
I feel as though there should be a pause in the music from the lobby theme to Blackquill’s theme so it feels more natural.
“Apollo, it’s never been easy.” Nice!
Ooh, DD graphics! I likey.
“The prosecution is read- Wait, what?” These two frames should be merged.
“Very well, prosecutor Blackquill, your opening statement.” Prosecutor should be capitalised.
The dialogue, typos aside is good so far though, so kudos.
The logic theme shouldn’t immediately finish before the trial theme plays again, since Blackquill continues discussing the logic of the case.
Uh, the first statement of Fulbright’s testimony is the same as the judge’s opening statement. Might want to reword it so it doesn’t feel as reused.
Trial theme usually doesn’t play after the initial testimony, by the way. It only plays when witnesses (without themes) are brought to the stand and when the trial starts or ends.
Lol, nice unique photo there.
“If you say…” Don’t you mean ‘if you say so’?
Oh nice, DD bubbles. With shaking and everything. Very nice.
Apollo should probably react to Blackquill’s remark before the testimony progresses, so it feels more natural.
Damn, remind me never to take a photo in that museum. What a cost.
“(Several millions because a single photo...)” Because ‘of’, Apollo.
Whoaaa, Blackquill the mind reader!
Nice map!
Alright, an easy contradiction to start things off.
Wait, did Blackquill really not notice that xD
“Splattered hell”, nice! Also are we making this a murder trial again??? Nice use of that image, though.
The Squid People dialogue was…amazing.
Interesting ringtone, Judge.
…Wait, did Picasse just ring up the judge simply to tell him there was a blackout? Good timing, I guess.
Blackquill really is off his game today, wow.
“A painting is going to testify????” Top 10 Plot Twists.
“Robert Tim”, “Robbed Him”. Nice one. Also, L’Belle’s theme? He probably did it, didn’t he?
“Made a photo”? You mean “took a photo”, right?
Testimony SFX are also a bit off in terms of timing.
He really lives in the museum???
Ooooh my god. That contradiction with the mask was so simple yet I somehow didn’t realise it. That was really clever.
The contradiction about the hallways is clever, but requires a little more thinking. Still nice, though I recommend an additional prompt to make the player present the map as well so they know what they’re doing. Also, if we didn’t get the map in Fulbright’s testimony earlier, we’d kinda be stuck now, wouldn’t we?
“Also the police already talked with the director, and he wasn't in the museum when the robbery happened”. Maybe make this a bit shorter and add a period at the end?
Anyway, those optional choices were nice. I like the inclusion of those. Though some music still needs fixing with regards to timing in Ron’s testimony.
“Because the blackout, it was very dark.” Missing an ‘of’ there.
Nice, a Mood Matrix too! Very cool. I like this segment. Also, the normal music should play here since there’s no emotion overflow here.
Uh, penalty section is a bit weird. Remember to reset the BGs for that.
“What is out of place is your constand and useless screaming” Uh, yeah, might wanna fix that as well.
Also there’s a glitch here, you forgot to redirect the frame to the updated statement so the old one remains. Remember to fix that since that’s pretty bad. Thankfully I’m a collaborator here so I can just skip all that.
The offering letter also isn’t added to the court record. Another glitch.
The Thought Route would work better with a proper transition. And the SFX.
Ooh, nice final testimony.
Nice interesting final testimony too!
And case over! Nice reference there xD
Alright, so general thoughts on the case. I definitely liked this one a lot! This had some good testimonies, interesting mechanics and setting, and made use of the theme very well. Apollo and Blackquill in particular were very well written, and the comedy was also nice. I like how this wasn’t a murder too, felt pretty interesting. In terms of complaints, though… There were definitely a lot of presentation errors here. I’m not sure what the issue is with the non-loading images (though I didn’t notice anything too bad) but there were a lot of small typos here, and some weird sound design too, with strange music usage and the mood matrix noises being a bit too loud. Mostly small errors for the most part, except for the mood matrix in CE3, which you literally cannot progress from due to the wrong frame number being used. Definitely a lot of stuff to fix there, I think. Story stuff also felt a little weird, and I thought the motive was a strange. It makes sense for Robert to not want his painting to be sold, but he literally already lives in a museum somehow. Would it really have been so bad to move to another museum instead? It felt a little silly to me in that regard. Still, this was definitely a pretty good entry which adhered to the theme pretty well, so good job on that for the most part. Biggest suggestion currently is to fix all the typos and other weird errors so it plays better for now.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Re: [CE][T] The Artist's Turnabout ●

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Well, let's actually play people's cases! That's new.
Spoiler : SoC :
Hm. A few of the images seem to be broken. Hopefully, that does not affect much.
"It's beautif..." ZOOMS IN ON BLANK CANVAS DRAMATICALLY
"Profession: Defence Attorney" is definitely not how I remember people's profiles being.
Yay. Everyone is here!
Ah. When I thought about a loud painter friend, I must admit this guy wasn't the first to come to mind.
I always like listening to this guy's theme, if nothing else.
Robbery. Pft. Not even trial-worthy.
This blasted prosecutor's office and their lack of prosecutors.
No gavel sound!
Look at Blackquill giggling like a little girl over catching the defence off-guard.
It's lovely how the Judge is giving his opening statement on a robbery trial. Never before seen!
Ah, the dead detective.
'which main phrase' -> 'whose main phrase'
JUSTICE
'most valuables' -> 'most valuable'
"Evidence doesn't matter because I have a cross-examination!"
Grr... But I don't want to press! Tyranny! Forcing me to press is tyranny!
Oh god, Apollo's voice. I completely forgot he sounded like this.
"Ok... Could you show us an image?" on this line, Apollo disappeared a bit for me (I think this is just me, nothing to do with the editor).
'several millions' -> 'several million'
Him just casually talking with Apollo's mind is great.
A DIAGRAM
When Blackquill's saying the original MaskDeMasque is the only one that 'ended well', I feel like he could make some comment like 'Though I feel that'll soon be fixed.'
D'awwwww... The co-counsel conversation changes!
Blackquill missed a time stamp? I don't know when in the timeline this takes place, but he's really been letting himself go.
Incidentally, it looked like his panicked expression before breaking his shackles already had broken shackles. Not sure.
"He just hacked it. Or it doesn't matter. Whatever." Ah, k then. forgets contradiction about important and clearly forged evidence *
"Now hurry up and fix things!" after saying there's a problem with Blackquill's logic has an empty frame.
Incidentally, this was funny.
"There's a splatter on the ground! That means BLOODY MURDER"
Blasted squid people and their bloody murder.
"Accidents don't exist in court." "Ok, that was an accident."
"What reason would a thief have for making a splatter?" He's actually one of the squid people in disguise!
Ah, this was funny too.
Ah, I do like listening to Bach.
That said, I'm not really seeing any rhyme or reason to the logic so far.
*When explaining away the wrong timestamp earlier on in the trial, Blackquill should argue that the museum's servers could've gotten the time wrong for any number of reasons, like a technical malfunction or going down sometime earlier and causing desynchronised clocks. And then emphasise that the important part, the footage, is still there. I think explaining it this way would make more sense than 'the defendant hacked it' or some such.
Additionally, when selecting the correct option for saying the footage is fake, I think that instead of "It was always there", "There is no reason for it to be there" makes a better segway into "The footage is clearly fake! Too much is wrong with it!"
"Tragically, you aren't known defencewide." Ha!
Yes! So many images! Somebody please think of the budget!
"The silhouette was black, but thankfully, my camera immediately colourised it."
Agreed, everyone.
Ha! Penalty conversations. Always the best.
"The guy you saw is clearly my client, and he isn't dressed like MaskDeMasque, so you're wrong!" Hm. Yes. Proving or client guilty just to show the witness wrong seems like a nice set of priorities.
Presenting the Blackout Report at statement 3 kills the cross-examination music.
'a bas relief'???
Okay, so, this contradiction. To be quite frank, I tried presenting both the Museum Diagram and Tim's Photo at statement 3, and then the Diagram at 4, in order to point out the actual contradiction with the hallway. I ended up giving up and checking the walkthrough because it wasn't working, so I really think you should accept the diagram on the 2 statements and then have a prompt like "If you'll look at the diagram, you'll find it is inconsistent with the photo, if the photo was taken at the time of the crime" and then you'd connect to the prompt asking you to point out the hallway on the photo. I was trying to present the photo on statement 3, but that gives me the wrong contradiction, so maybe you could have a prompt where you say "There's a problem with the photo, because of" "the location" "the silhouette", where the former redirects you to the actual contradiction, and the latter to the optional one.
More stuff: If you present Tim's Photo at 4, it doesn't end the cross-examination. This is fine, but the witness's statement should change from "in the act of taking the masterpiece" to something else that says he took a photo once he saw him.
"Can you prove that the witness isn't lying, and that the defendant is really guilty?" has no nametag.
CAKE
Accusing after a single testimony? Ridiculous. No lawyer worth his salt would do this.
I'd like to call another witness! Robert Tim, your turn!
Presenting Picasse: 'it would be hard for him to coming' -> 'to come'
'i must think in someone else)' -> 'I must think of someone else.)'
'NOOOOOOOOOO! you will say in but a moment.'
'the more an emotion light up' -> 'lights up'
The sound effects linger for longer than the frames with them are on screen. At least during the refresher. I imagine you have them as 'sound effects' in your trial? I don't see any way of having both the music and the sound effects working only on specific frames, so the only thing I can recommend is shortening the length of the sound effects a bit. People would rather have no sound than obnoxious amounts of it.
I suppose Ron is just about sufficiently emotionally unstable to actually forget why he was there.
That said, this mood matrix segment was awesome! I can scarcely imagine making one with this many assets work in the trial maker.
Yes! This thought route lets you go off on wrong tangents! Also, pretty art assets.
What is wrong with my head. Good question. The problem is 99% HORNS
Le French
screams and melts
This Cross-Examination relies on pressing the same statements multiple times. I suggest you had a hint on statement 4's press conversation where Apollo thinks he should review the other statements or something.
'that i'm wrong when i'm right!' -> 'that I'm wrong when I'm right!'
'Penalties are neither helpful' -> 'Penalties aren't helpful either...'
Ooooh boy. I'm utterly incapable of distinguishing between normal and wild feelings, among other things because the beeps all overlap each other. You can keep this, but I suggest an alternative: Pointing out that he's feeling no joy whatsoever when he talks about his painting. It can piss him off anyway because of how you're assuming things about his feelings and the painting or whatever: In short, create a new alternative, so you can advance the testimony through one of these two.
The fire extinguishing things were hilarious.
'He is doing nothing' -> 'He isn't doing anything'
'I suppose that i must do it for myself' -> 'I suppose that I must do it myself'
"Alongside all my dreams" Ha!
'i'm sorry for all the trouble' -> 'I'm sorry for all the trouble'
Finally, reprieve from bathroom cleaning. The only money he'll see all year, though.
Title drop: 10/10
Spoiler : Thoughts :
I don't actually have much to say, as most of my criticisms and suggestions got stuck in the SoC.
Instead, let me mention that I think there were a bunch of fun jokes in here, and I actually like the way Tim went about things. And Ron is exactly the kind of sucker to fall for this. Maybe it would make sense if instead of forgetting, Ron were trying to keep the fact that he was doing this for money a secret? Maybe he was doing it subconsciously?
A number of relatively awkward sentences, but nothing with too great an impact, methinks.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Thank you a lot for that, Tiago, i fixed the mostly of things that you said.
Gosicrystal
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Gosicrystal »

I've just played this case. Not bad! I like that you took the effort to include the Mood Matrix and the Thought Route, and I definitely like the humor throughout. However, this case suffers from many mistakes that should have been corrected in the betatesting phase. These are some I've found as I played along:
* Athena's voice is male at times before the trial starts
* The profession in the profiles comes out of the box
* The health bar should be flashing when you're making a choice that can get you penalized
* The problem with the footage is also that Demasque is holding a box, not a painting
* The music tracks often play for too short before stopping or changing. This creates severe mood whiplash.
* The blackout report should clearly state 10:30 PM to avoid confusion
* When announcing a testimony/cross-examination, both parts of the sound effect should play, not only one
* The player shouldn't really be penalized for asking for a Not Guilty verdict
* A bit of a personal preference, but the "Trial Begins" song shouldn't play between a testimony and a cross-examination
* Pinpointing wrong emotions shouldn't penalize, especially if the player is not warned. Same thing for the Thought Route.
* The player should be able to cancel the pinpointing without having to reload a save
* It should be mentioned somewhere in the Court Record that the painting was going to be moved to another museum. It's a necessary piece of logic later on and it's too easy to forget about it.

There's also weird grammar here and there, like "this happened because that" instead of "this happened because of that", but it's mostly good. I was also impressed when I saw the Day 1 - All rise section! Did you use a GIF and an an audio of that scene?
Last edited by Gosicrystal on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I've added a spoiler tag to your post. If something you want to say spoils a contradiction, tag it!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gosicrystal
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Gosicrystal »

Oops! My bad.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Thank you a lot, i fixed mostly of problems that you mentioned, sadly i can't fix something.
The "Back" button in the Mood Matrix, it seems that since is an "Ask player to point an area", the button doesn't work
Also, yes, i used GIF and audio.
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

I can tell that English likely isn't your first language. There's quite a few odd wordings and minor spelling errors throughout the case. I eventually got used to them, but they're quite noticeable in the beginning, I feel. Does detract from the experience a bit, unfortunately. The visual touches and the implementation of a new gameplay mechanic were neat, but there's a few oversights and minor mistakes in terms of visuals -- especially right near the end.

Most notably:
  • During the second mood matrix section, Apollo's sprite is on-screen for the first two statements.
  • The breakdown dosn't feel well-timed. Probably could've also done with some extra fire effects, perhaps?
  • At the 3rd or 4th cross-examination (I admittedly don't remember), Blackquill's music is running and doesn't stop until the moment you get to the first statement of the cross-examination.
  • The penalty bar always keeps on flashing.
  • During certain cross-examination, at the end of a press conversation, sometimes there is a fade-out, and sometimes there isn't. I'd check to make sure it's all consistent.
Beyond that, I have a few issues with the plot...
  • Seeing as how the letter was the sole reason he was there, how would have Ron forgotten to mention the letter?
  • In fact, how could have Ron ever forgotten he'd seen Mask deMasque of all people?
  • Apollo pretty much just... guesses his way through that thought route. Both in terms of the culprit, but moreso the motivation. There's nothing in the evidence or the plot up until that point that really strongly points to any of it.
  • It's as if the case itself is partially aware of this, because the final testimony feels pretty underwhelming as a result, with Apollo finding what's essentially a non-contradiction. Something that, again, the case itself points out.
  • As a result, Tim has no actual reason... to confess. Again, due to the lack of evidence. And that, in turn, makes the rather extreme breakdown feel somewhat unearned.
Writing-wise, in general it feels like certain scenes could've been a bit more expanded on, or just changed slightly. And that's beside the point that the script itself should be proofread a bit more.
  • The lobby scene is pretty awkward. I'd just change it to Apollo and Athena being aware of the case and the charges, establish that Ron's identity as Mask deMasque came out years ago (but that he's retired from that life), talk with him, establish he was in the museum, and leave it at that. You don't really need Phoenix there, or in the case in general, I feel.
  • Tim's introduction could be expanded a bit to hint at this attachment with the painting.
  • Points between cross-examinations could be used to discuss the owner, Tim and/or painting, further establishing aspects of the case.
It definitely fits the theme, and I like the general idea (especially the way in which one of the pieces of evidence was used), the visuals are nice, but it definitely feels like it could be improved in a lot of places.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Thank you for pointing the mistakes, i will explain somethings.
Ron forgot the letter and the second DeMasque because he was under high levels of distress, as said by Athena.
Tim had no reason to confess, right, but he is a very angery person and was tired of Apollo's accusations, that's why he had that breakdown, also he did actually regret.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Also, this trial technically/unofficial got third place in the comp (though it wasn’t explicitly mentioned there) so yeah. Didn’t get second or first but it was a good case nevertheless.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Little sprites update.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Okay, after 3 years and half, I've finally remembered my first ever case for the English section, broken months after release due to losing important assets, I got them back and so... Artist's Turnabout is back.

This was made on my second year on AAO, not really well aged or quality but, I wanted to bring it back.
Bannedfrom7
Spoken languages: English

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

YOO LETS GOO! Alright time to play this!
I am Banned
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Bannedfrom7 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 am YOO LETS GOO! Alright time to play this!
I wouldn't be thaat excited but huh, hope you enjoy.