[T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ☆○○○○ [Case 2 Part 2 BETA]

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ●○○○○ [Case 1 up]

Post by TheDoctor »

Finished my proofreading playthrough of part 2 and fixed as many grammatical errors as I could find. I also made sure the descriptions of evidence and profiles matched the descriptions in the other part when applicable.

Now for my review...

All in all, I'd say this was a very good case. The characters are well written, and the cross-examinations are pretty good for the most part, although there is one that I would classify as being just a little unfair.
Spoiler : :
Specifically, the one about the stepladder. It's unfair mainly because stepladders are technically ladders. Now, if he was saying that he saw a stepladder when it was actually just a normal ladder, it would be a little bit more fair because while stepladders are technically ladders, ladders are definitely not stepladders. If you could perhaps include some more dialogue hinting towards what you're going for without making it too obvious, it would be an improvement. I wouldn't want you to get rid of the contradiction because using the ladder vs. stepladder argument as an actual contradiction is rather inspired, it just needs a little work is all.
I think this series has some great potential, I'm really looking forward to episode 2. :D

EDIT: One thing I'd like to see in future installments is more shout outs to other series. Ace Attorney games have a lot of them, and I didn't really notice any here. Although, it could simply be because you're referencing media I'm not familiar with, in which case, you're fine.
Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Thx, as for mentioned contradiction.
Spoiler : case 1 end spoilers obv :
Stepladder contradiction and final contradiction are two hardest in part 2 because this is where you are actually proving Bobby lying. I think it would be easier if the whole case was played in one get go and you remembered why there was a need for stepladder picture - because stepladder on the victim photo was broken during the crime and Angela looking at photo couldn't recognize that it had a stepladder.

Dunno, I can add one hint to co-council conversation. Last line is "(I must prove the fact that he didn't leave the school before the murder happened.)", I can add "(It must be a detail, something that changed during the crime...)"
Is this acceptable solution? I would like to hear more than one opinion about this.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

One thing that might help is if you add "it's technically a stepladder" to the evidence description. Part of the issue with this contradiction is that more people tend to think like Maya than Phoenix when it comes to ladders and stepladders. Heck, I was that way myself before I started playing Ace Attorney. The logic is kind of like "all quarters are coins, but not all coins are quarters," so if someone saw a quarter on the ground and called it a coin, they'd technically be correct, but if they saw a different kind of coin on the ground and called it a quarter, they'd be wrong.

But yeah, I think adding that phrase into the item description would help, along with your suggestions. I do agree that there needs to be more input on this however.
Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

In description it is defined as a stepladder even when it is called picture of ladder, I was intentionally subtle with that :P

EDIT: Actually, it even says "Picture of the stepladder from before it was broken.", so I'm reminding you that the stepladder was broken.
But okay, I hope I can hear more opinions on that. Feed me with feedback, plz.

Spoiler edited.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Update to Turnabout Siblings.

* Now with superior versus Cross Examination pop-up!
Spoiler : spoiler updates :
* Doc during proofreading changed every instance of Oldbag saying "every-hour" into "hourly". I've changed them back, because "every-hour" catch player's attention more and serves as a hint to Oldbag's 3rd CE.
* Bobby's 2nd CE has additional hint in form of adding "It has to be detail... Something that was changed." to co-cuncil conversation.
EDIT: Decided to move this text after all.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

☆ This case is pending a QA inspection to be featured.
Bad Player

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ☆○○○○ [Case 1 up]

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : here we gooooo :
v6?! it burns, it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurns

gee i wundur who the killer iz

"Oh, don't worry, your client is also here. I was with him the entire time since the police's questioning." 4 lines.

"I am, Mr Gavin.
I'll handle this with no worries.
(Good, I sound confident.)" missing a period after Mr

Technically, when calling Krissy "Boss," it should be capitalized. (If you can replace "boss" with "Mr. Gavin" and the sentence would be unchanged, it should be capitalized.)

"(He could have some more mature hobby instead...
I'm collecting plushies, for example.)" 4 lines. ...At least for me. It created a linebreak after "instead," but that could've been my comp freaking out or something.

Nothing makes a better impression in court than an exposed midriff. (Also Angela's buttons are on the wrong side of her jacket.)

"I'm dressed according to our
modern standards, Your Honor.(Viva la feminist revolution!)" missing a space there.

"There's nothing wrong in using own gifts. Master them, and the court will eat from the palm of your hand." 4 lines

It should be "prospect," but "perspective."

All that black space in the map is really annoying... although I suspect that's a v6 issue.

"Mr. Carter didn't fall while standing on the ladder with his back towards it, he was pushed onto it." The comma should be a period.

"With what was nearly a water leak, Mr. Carter had to take the lamp away, so he put the ladder under it." 4 lines. At this point, I'm going to stop pointing them out--you need to go through and find/fix them yourself.

It should really be "Witness's Account" instead of just "Witness Account"...

PRODUCT PLACEMENT~

When presenting the AC to show Oldbag knew stuff about just an hour before the murder, the conversation immediately after presenting should be expanded a bit to make the explanation of the contradiction a bit clearer--you basically just gloss over it.

Enth approved the use of "bastard" appearing twice in Turnabouts of the Father, so I'm going to assume doing the same here is ok...

Despite the supposed arrangement we have, we seem to be questioning Dark pretty directly...

oh god... I presented the ladder/stepladder thing as a joke xD

I'm... not understanding this ladder contradiction too well. Is the problem that he didn't see it until after it was broken? Idk, a bit more clarification here would help.

I don't like how I can't present Oldbag not hearing the crash for Bobby's second testimony...
How did Bobby go to the second floor and stay there without getting a recording in the security log, or running into Oldbag?
(I'd like you to put in conversations addressing these--either in the presses, or through special present convos)

why was an 11 year old kid watching a murder trial xD

WAT HOW DID BOBBY KNOW WHERE IN THE ROOM THE COKE CAN WAS LEFT, ANGELA CALL HIM OUT ON IT D:
Nice checkpoint system. However, for this final testimony, I'd put in full-bar penalty flashes at the "press further" options. I know you put a warning at the beginning of the CE, but when dealing with auto-lose stuff more clarity is always good.

...Wait, is the location of the coke can visible from the entrance of the backroom? I thought it wasn't, since it doesn't seem to be in the photo... I thought it was obscured by the shelf on the left......... (I guess I'd like some clarification somewhere on this, since it seems like it could easily be the contradiction)

For the first contradiction in the last testimony, I'd also let the player present Evan. After all, it was his testimony that you're using.

Every time you have Angela talk without an on-screen character, there's no nametag. (So before the final lobby scene, after the final lobby scene, and after Evan leaves at home)

In the lobby scene, you have a "Mr.Gavin" (without a space)

Technically double jeopardy isn't a "law"...

*egotistical

Some credits music would be nice...

Welp that just happened. Some stuff like the ID card and missing tools still don't really make sense with Evan as the murderer (yeah, Bobby said in his final testimony that Evan must have framed him, but that was when Bobby was in the area to see Evan leaving, but if Bobby didn't actually see it, so he wasn't there, it's questionable how Evan knew Bobby was there to frame him), but oh well.

Let's break it down, I guess

Presentation/Bugs: There's no bugs or anything, at least that I found, so that's good. There were a lot of four-liners, so that needs to be fixed. I'm not going to make you change it since it's basically impossible to change (unless that was changed in v6?), but in the future I recommend thinking in advance about the order you put evidence into the editor--try to put it in in the same order the player will get it, because that will look the most natural in-game, especially when updating evidence.

Writing/Characterization: The canon characters were all in-character, and the original characters were fine. Angela and Evan didn't seem to be much special, but you probably don't want your main characters to be too flamboyance, and Bobby had plenty of character. I'm not really thrilled with the idea of yet another young genius attorney with a traumatic past who became an attorney several years early by studying in Europe, but the execution was fine. Some things seemed kinda silly, like the clothes Angela wore in court, but you pointed it out yourself and made it part of her character, so it was fine. Angela really kicked it up a notch once Bobby mentioned her past, and Evan had his reveal at the end.

Proofreading/Clarification: This probably belongs in the earlier section, but it was getting long and I didn't want it to get lost at the end. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something about the dialogue just seems... stiff and stilted. Like I said, I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, but that was just the feeling I got. I'm not going to make you change things for this, since it was all still okay, but in the future you might want to get a proofreader or someone to help with this. Aside from this, there were also a few places where I felt you went over the logic/contradictions a bit too quickly, and could use a bit more explicit clarification.

Sprites/Graphics: Everything was great, especially the custom graphics. They weren't 100% identical to AA style, but they were close enough, and much more than most trials--this is really not a place where you can be too choosy in a fantrial.

Music/SFX: The "canon" music was good, as was the custom music. Not much to say here. If you want custom voice clips, I'd recommend checking out the voice acting alliance.
Spoiler : *dun dun dun* :
★ The case is good enough to be featured. Please make the requested changes.
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Bad Player wrote:
Spoiler : here we gooooo :

"Oh, don't worry, your client is also here. I was with him the entire time since the police's questioning." 4 lines.

"I am, Mr Gavin.

Technically, when calling Krissy "Boss," it should be capitalized. (If you can replace "boss" with "Mr. Gavin" and the sentence would be unchanged, it should be capitalized.)

I'm collecting plushies, for example.)" 4 lines. ...At least for me. It created a linebreak after "instead," but that could've been my comp freaking out or something.

Nothing makes a better impression in court than an exposed midriff. (Also Angela's buttons are on the wrong side of her jacket.)

modern standards, Your Honor.(Viva la feminist revolution!)" missing a space there.

"There's nothing wrong in using own gifts. Master them, and the court will eat from the palm of your hand." 4 lines

All that black space in the map is really annoying... although I suspect that's a v6 issue.

"Mr. Carter didn't fall while standing on the ladder with his back towards it, he was pushed onto it." The comma should be a period.

"With what was nearly a water leak, Mr. Carter had to take the lamp away, so he put the ladder under it." 4 lines. At this point, I'm going to stop pointing them out--you need to go through and find/fix them yourself.

PRODUCT PLACEMENT~

When presenting the AC to show Oldbag knew stuff about just an hour before the murder, the conversation immediately after presenting should be expanded a bit to make the explanation of the contradiction a bit clearer--you basically just gloss over it.

Enth approved the use of "bastard" appearing twice in Turnabouts of the Father, so I'm going to assume doing the same here is ok...

Despite the supposed arrangement we have, we seem to be questioning Dark pretty directly...

I'm... not understanding this ladder contradiction too well. Is the problem that he didn't see it until after it was broken? Idk, a bit more clarification here would help.

I don't like how I can't present Oldbag not hearing the crash for Bobby's second testimony...
How did Bobby go to the second floor and stay there without getting a recording in the security log, or running into Oldbag?
(I'd like you to put in conversations addressing these--either in the presses, or through special present convos)

WAT HOW DID BOBBY KNOW WHERE IN THE ROOM THE COKE CAN WAS LEFT, ANGELA CALL HIM OUT ON IT D:
Nice checkpoint system. However, for this final testimony, I'd put in full-bar penalty flashes at the "press further" options. I know you put a warning at the beginning of the CE, but when dealing with auto-lose stuff more clarity is always good.

...Wait, is the location of the coke can visible from the entrance of the backroom? I thought it wasn't, since it doesn't seem to be in the photo... I thought it was obscured by the shelf on the left......... (I guess I'd like some clarification somewhere on this, since it seems like it could easily be the contradiction)

For the first contradiction in the last testimony, I'd also let the player present Evan. After all, it was his testimony that you're using.

Every time you have Angela talk without an on-screen character, there's no nametag. (So before the final lobby scene, after the final lobby scene, and after Evan leaves at home)

*egotistical

Welp that just happened. Some stuff like the ID card and missing tools still don't really make sense with Evan as the murderer (yeah, Bobby said in his final testimony that Evan must have framed him, but that was when Bobby was in the area to see Evan leaving, but if Bobby didn't actually see it, so he wasn't there, it's questionable how Evan knew Bobby was there to frame him), but oh well.

Presentation/Bugs: There's no bugs or anything, at least that I found, so that's good. There were a lot of four-liners, so that needs to be fixed. I'm not going to make you change it since it's basically impossible to change (unless that was changed in v6?), but in the future I recommend thinking in advance about the order you put evidence into the editor--try to put it in in the same order the player will get it, because that will look the most natural in-game, especially when updating evidence.

Writing/Characterization: The canon characters were all in-character, and the original characters were fine. Angela and Evan didn't seem to be much special, but you probably don't want your main characters to be too flamboyance, and Bobby had plenty of character. I'm not really thrilled with the idea of yet another young genius attorney with a traumatic past who became an attorney several years early by studying in Europe, but the execution was fine. Some things seemed kinda silly, like the clothes Angela wore in court, but you pointed it out yourself and made it part of her character, so it was fine. Angela really kicked it up a notch once Bobby mentioned her past, and Evan had his reveal at the end.

Proofreading/Clarification: This probably belongs in the earlier section, but it was getting long and I didn't want it to get lost at the end. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something about the dialogue just seems... stiff and stilted. Like I said, I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, but that was just the feeling I got. I'm not going to make you change things for this, since it was all still okay, but in the future you might want to get a proofreader or someone to help with this. Aside from this, there were also a few places where I felt you went over the logic/contradictions a bit too quickly, and could use a bit more explicit clarification.

Sprites/Graphics: Everything was great, especially the custom graphics. They weren't 100% identical to AA style, but they were close enough, and much more than most trials--this is really not a place where you can be too choosy in a fantrial.

Music/SFX: The "canon" music was good, as was the custom music. Not much to say here. If you want custom voice clips, I'd recommend checking out the voice acting alliance.
Spoiler : *dun dun dun* :
★ The case is good enough to be featured. Please make the requested changes.
Wow BP, two possible features in a row, you must be ecstatic :P

Keep in mind that I don't know if what I say is true, but...
Anyways, about your comments on the ending...
Is it possible that Bobby was somewhat "aware" of Evan's presence, and that he told him he was going to be there? Either that or maybe it's left to be explained in a later case?
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

well i'm assuming bobby will conveniently wake up from his coma just in time for the final case
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Congratulations!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

I don't always release a case.
But when I do, it gets featured.

Recently I'm kinda busy, so it will take some time before I do all fixes.

Replies in bold.
Bad Player wrote:

I considered many options regarding introducing the story's premise. I went with being pretty open about it, only took care of Angela having logical reasons of being oblivious to the end.

... And this is what I hate about 4 lines, it's not 4 lines on my comp.

"I am, Mr Gavin.

Grammar nazi

Na na na na, I don't hear you, future fashion has different buttons, na na na.

v6

BUT THEY AREN'T HERE ON MY COMP

PRODUCT PLACEMENT~

Alright, though I believe it is pretty obvious.

By his 2nd CE he calmed down and Angela still asks questions in polite/professional way, so there are no problems. I can add before CE the Judge just telling her to be polite.

Bobby made mistake, he wasn't aware that stepladder was broken. I can add Angela saying his lie broke apart because he didn't know about the original state of the stepladder.

And where exactly you want to present it, when it is all about him leaving before this happened? Or do you mean 3rd CE? I can add Angela saying "But there is no point arguing here about impressions". The reminder about Oldbag serves as a hint to final present against Bobby.

I'm a European, so I'm using European British English ;P There is ground floor, first floor and second floor. I can clarify this.

... Because it was right in front of the exit? You can see where it was on the floor plan.

OK

Look above. It is on small cupboard near window that purposely wasn't on any flashback or photo. Payne also said as much when he presented the can.

Alright, but you still will have to specify this by presenting Carter. And I will have to temporarily take from Evan like 90 points of IQ, to prevent him from telling you the answer.

Intentional, it's narration.

Whatever, Evan is not a lawyer ;P

*egotistical

Nah, silence fits well after such reveal. DO NOT QUESTION MY ARTISTIC VISION.

I guarantee that the explanation for everything exists.

This case was rewritten many times.

Angela, genius? Pfffff, do I really need to count all her mistakes? She messed up with her Thought Route! And she isn't as young as other AA Euro lawyers. Originally I wanted her to be 23, but I had to change this because of other decisions.

You aren't the first to tell me this. I guess that's the effect of English not being my native language.

Bad Player wrote:
well i'm assuming bobby will conveniently wake up from his coma just in time for the final case
Convenient comas are convenient, just ask Godot ;P
And thanks everybody for your support.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

... And this is what I hate about 4 lines, it's not 4 lines on my comp.
Honestly, I actually suspected something like this, since everything else about the case was so polished yet this problem was so pervasive. Anyway... I'm not really sure what to tell you on this one. Do you know exactly what's going on? Do you have the proper font installed? Getting someone's (coughferdiecoughenthcough) help might be helpful for figuring this out... (There's also the possibility that it's my comp that's the weird one, in which case I guess nothing needs to be done, but idk.)

By his 2nd CE he calmed down and Angela still asks questions in polite/professional way, so there are no problems. I can add before CE the Judge just telling her to be polite.
It was just that they explicitly mention it again and then ignore it :P

And where exactly you want to present it, when it is all about him leaving before this happened? Or do you mean 3rd CE? I can add Angela saying "But there is no point arguing here about impressions". The reminder about Oldbag serves as a hint to final present against Bobby.
Looking back, I'm pretty sure I meant the 3rd CE. (Can you really blame me for forgetting that first testimony?) However, I think this also ties into the next point...

I'm a European, so I'm using European British English ;P There is ground floor, first floor and second floor. I can clarify this.
Yes, please do. I was thinking the American way, with only two stories. In the third CE, Bobby said he went upstairs, which would be the second floor, which was where Oldbag was when she didn't hear the crash. But if there's actually three floors, then even if Oldbag didn't hear the crash on the third floor, there's no problem with Bobby on the second floor hearing it. Anyway, since this case seems to be pretty explicitly be set in America (with all the references to the constitution), so ideally it'd probably be better to use the American flooring system. But changing it in the entire case might be annoying, so just explicitly clarifying that you're using the European system is also fine.

... Because it was right in front of the exit? You can see where it was on the floor plan.
Okay yeah I had the frame of reference for that photo totally wrong, nvm.

Alright, but you still will have to specify this by presenting Carter. And I will have to temporarily take from Evan like 90 points of IQ, to prevent him from telling you the answer.
Or you can have him go "...Seriously? This is so easy, you don't deserve a hint for it -.-"

Intentional, it's narration.
But it's narration from Angela's POV, isn't it? :P

Nah, silence fits well after such reveal. DO NOT QUESTION MY ARTISTIC VISION.
I QUESTION IT

I guarantee that the explanation for everything exists.
If I didn't think it did I would've made a bigger fuss :P
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Well, my concern with the case was lifted, I too was KIND of freaked about the whole "British English" floor layout.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spoiler : Bad Player & Gamer2002 :
I'm thinking the 4-liner issue might be a browser thing. I played through the case in Chrome, and I thought I fixed all the 4-liners. What browser were you two using?
Image Image Image
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Firefox~