[T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ☆○○○○ [Case 2 Part 2 BETA]

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Gamer2002

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ○○○○○ [Trailer up]

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : Screens :
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Point the table or the ladder's end under it.

Oldbag's 1st testimony
Present Wendy Oldbag on statement 5

Oldbag's 2nd testimony
Press all statements

Oldbag's 3rd testimony
Press last statement->Select "Sneaking in"->Present evidence->Present Security Log

Write "6:30"

Select any answer.

Present Old Air-conditioner.

Evan's testimony
Press statement 5->Select any option->Statement 5-a added
Present ID Card on statement 5-a
Credit to Singidava for Evan's sprites. Technically this should be in-game credit, but I think nobody is going to mind me waiting for part 2 to put in-game credits :p

EDIT: I almost forgot, I need a voice for Angela. Details in first post.

EDIT2: I forgot, credit to TheDoctor for Thought Route templates :P
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ○○○○○ [Part 1 up]

Post by Sleuth »

First off, before I actually play the game, I'll say right now I like the concept. It's tied just enough to the original games to feel like it belongs, but at the same time it's got a lot of potential to do new things. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Stream of Consciousness:
Spoiler : :
- Hm. It looks like the sounds aren't fully loading. That might be a glitch or something.
- A non-black screen intro. What sorcery is this!?
- Oh dear. There's no sound during this whole intro, and that's a real shame because I like what I see. The art could use some polish there, but other than that the effort put into this intro is very nice. Unfortunately, the sound didn't come on through the whole thing, except for the bit with the Psyche-Locks. Fix that up and you have a very nice and intriguing intro.
- "Like the strong independent woman I am" ...Okay bit of awkward dialogue there. Unless it's a joke? Don't really get this line. Sounds more like a line from a feminist caricature instead of an actual person.
- oh hai Gavin. you're looking killer today.
- Like the setup here. The defendant is our brother so we don't have to worry too much about motivation or anything. They also look like siblings, so that's a nice touch. (Singi sprites OP)
- Hm. Can't recall if Apollo ever called Gavin "boss". I'm not sure how the difference makes one nervous, but I like the interaction thus far.
- OTACON.
- "I don't expect mercy from the court so I will show none either." oh snap someone's confident
- Winston BRINGS THE PAYNE.
- Music change goooooooo (I do like Calisto's theme tho)
- Eh for a lawyer it's pretty unprofessional but I don't see the big issue. I think AA court has established you can dress pretty much however you want by now.
- There seems to be a bit of a glitch where the background appears slightly before the person speaking does. For example, when it switches from Angela to the Judge, Angela is briefly sitting behind the Judge's bench before the Judge appears.
- "This is the power of being a woman" Lines like this are overdoing it a bit. I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to take this seriously or not, since the "power" was basically pointing out how irrelevant Winston's point was.
- "And if Mr. Gavin says I'm beautiful and intelligent it must be true" along the same lines I'm not sure how much of this I'm supposed to take seriously. I suppose it's to show her reverence for Gavin, but it also runs contrary to her "I like manipulating men" thing she's got going.
- "Holter Monitor" not sure if that's a typo or what, but I think it Never mind, looked it up. It's a real thing.
- This one's a bit hard to work out from the angle we're shown here, and because the depth in the image is off. This present might work better if it were shown from a side angle, or by giving the table a more visible shadow covering the ladder. I can tell there IS one currently, but it doesn't show the depth very well.
- "That's a serious negligence of safety on the school's part" ahahahahahahahaha as if they have the money to fix that stuff.
- Pleading the fifth whaaaaaaa-- okay I'm done. I joke about the whole "actual law in AA" but it's getting kinda old now so I'll stop.
- Oh wait they actually DIDN'T plead the fifth. Huh.
- ...Okay that was pretty funny. Good switch there.
- well that's certainly oldbag.
- "That was all part of my plan" Y-yeah that's what we were doing. Sure.
- There's a few too many dashes on the Cross Examination screen. Remove a few and it should be good.
- The testimony also freezes a bit once she's done talking.
- what is this "annie-may" you speak of
- Pffft. I don't need your course Gavin. You'll probably tell me to kill the guy if there's no contradiction.
- "the witness could be the real culprit" Naaaaaaaaah but just to be safe we should arrest her anyways.
- The routine here went a biiiiit too hammy. I'd suggest toning this whole "GUILTY" thing down a bit, as it feels rather distracting.
- Angela has a pretty sadistic love for her job. She truly IS Kristoph's student.
- ANGELA VS OLDBAG. MATCH OF THE CENTURY.
- There's one too many dashes on this one, too.
- Schools not fixing things? stop the presses.
- sneaky dastard. did you put the stepladder in there for the sole purpose of that joke? I must applaud that.
- On a sidenote, not a big fan of tildes in speech. They've been used in AA before but I'm still not a fan.
- this has got to be the worst school ever.
- Dammit. Foiled by littering!
- There's something about seeing an actual can of Diet Coke as evidence that's incredibly amusing.
- Another thing I'm noticing throughout the trial is weird breaks in the text. For example:

"Despite how big a coincidence it is,
Mr. Carter must have simply lost
his
ID card before his murder."

Many of the lines appear broken up oddly like this. I presume a run through the editor will fix it.
- "(At least I can smile to a bad game.)" ok
- the real name of this trial should be "OLDBAG STRIKES AGAIN".
- Wait did... Did BOTH answers mean the same thing?
- Another part, there's also spaces between a few words that don't make sense... I think some more grammar checking needs to be done to straighten these out.
- "Alright Evan, let's get this cleared up... Why the HELL were you drinking DIET COKE? WE'RE A PEPSI FAMILY, DAMMIT!"
- It's JAPANESE you uncultured SWINE! 0/10 worst judge.
- I guess the treatment of Evan is a bit weird here, especially since this is supposed to be the pre-turnabout "guilty until proven innocent" court of PW times. It's true he's a minor, but... eh. The courts in AA generally don't do the defendants any favors, regardless of who they are.
- yeah thanks for nothing GAVIN.
- The sound also doesn't kick in for the Thought Route.
- Oh man, "The Dark One". That's what they called me back in High School.
- "bobby dark" oh no SERIAL KILLING RUNS IN THE FAMILY. RUN AWAY.
- Also, doesn't sound like the court music kicked back in either, unless it wasn't supposed to.
- If there's any music that's supposed to play for the "To be continued" part, it also isn't playing.
Spoiler : General Thoughts :
Pretty solid case. Angela is entertaining with her thoughts, though she sometimes does feel a bit 2-dimensional, but it's a nice change of pace from most other defense attorney characters. I feel the case was structured well and I didn't have much of a problem with the logic.

The presentation is less than perfect, with the sound issues being the most notable flaw. I think it goes without saying that this should be your first priority. Other than that, the artwork was okay and the text got rather wonky. I think there was a poor idea of how the text fits into the boxes.

Overall, pretty solid. Keep up the good work.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

4 music pieces (for intro, objection, telling the truth and TR) + all sound effects for TR are hosted on my OpenDrive account. Dunno, today I have some problems with logging there and I've already hosted there music for Cybernabout and both judges didn't say anything about lack of music.

According to OpenDrive, my bandwidth was used today, so some people should be able to play with custom music. If anybody else has a problem with music please inform me.

As for Evan's treatment, personally I don't accept "guilty until proven innocent". Phoenix has hopeless cases where he has to expose the real culprit, but that's for the sake of mystery and because of how game is set up against him. In 2-1 he could win without doing this if only Payne had not called another witness. Another thing pointed here before by somebody else is that testimonies are accepted as evidence and Phoenix never prepares his own witnesses (and him not really being able to is part of the set up against him).

EDIT: 5 music pieces. There is also Evan's theme.
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Hey there, dude! As promised, I played the case. First of all, let me congratulate you: it was mighty fun. I had a great time playing it.

So, now for my humble review!

Pros:
Spoiler : Here comes the list. Really minor spoilers regarding characters used and some mechanics :
  • Characterization: Kristoph was pretty on character, Payne was funny. And the OCs were pretty great, especially Angela. It was easy to like her, she had a serious side that wasn't unpleasant, she had her ways to be cool, her ways to annoy other characters... dunno, I think I can say she has guts. It's a well played character. And since it's your main character, what can I say? Good job.
  • The mystery itself: it made me think. It's not the hardest one you could find, but it's not easy either. I'm doing a case right now, and I find that there is a delicate balance in putting difficulty in the little deductive puzzles that are scattered in every Ace Attorney game. They were mostly fair, and solvable without the use of a guide.
  • Images: The crime scene photos, while not professional level, were pretty spot-on. They helped me understand the crime better, so kudos. Also, the floor plan looks pretty legit. Well done!
  • The Narrative: you hinted a bigger story within your current story. It is a good thing how you presented this, for it doesn't say much and thus it doesn't hinder the development of the current story (the case itself). It is a subtle and elegant lure to keep watching this story.
  • The Thought-Route moment: because YOOOOOOOO, DUDE?! One of the features I loved about DD is this animation hahaha. And about how you implemented it: well done. I could figure it out by myself, on the first try, with the little hints you left in the dialogue. So kudos again, for a well done job.
Cons:
Spoiler : And here's another list. Mostly technical stuff, but there is one little spoiler :
To tell you the truth, I've got some minor things to say, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this trial, only little details:
  • At the start, the difficulty wasn't too smooth. I had some troubles at one point with the case, when the air conditioner came into play. Also during that Oldbag testimony where you can ask three things, and must point the contradiction. Maybe it's me not being Sherlock Holmes, but that part seemed particularly hard for me. The rest of the trial was challenging, but I could finish it with no problems.
  • Beware of 4 line dialogue boxes: I found some and, while they don't bother me too much, it is truth that they seem out of place. If you can fix them, please do. It'll improve your presentation.
  • Typos!: I remember spotting about...15 or so during the whole case. Nothing game-breaking, but an error nonetheless. Here are two examples.
    • "In this high-school, classrooms have back rooms. The body was found in one of victim's classrooms." <-- drafting error.
    • "Because of its state, the water was leaking on the floor even after victim's death" missing a "the"
  • Little details: this is more of a personal opinion, but I think you should accelerate that particular lady's rambling, for it is supposed to be almost unreadable. Also, beware of the "-"'s in the Testimony/Cross-Examination segments, for sometimes they looked... not so good? Dunno how to say it. Remember you can space text to center it in v6!
So, overall, this is my grading:
  • Resources (Sprites, Images, Maps): 4/5 <-- For my tastes, Angela sprites need to be smoothed over (recolored, and some parts, like her arms, should be reworked). Aside from that, I really liked the expressions they showed.
  • Characterization: 5/5 <-- Good work representing canon characters, and amazing work presenting your characters to the player. Also, the main character is likeable, so that's a great start.
  • Mystery: 4/5 <-- Aside from a couple of difficulty spikes in the middle, the trial was pretty well made. It's playable without a guide, without it being too easy.
  • Presentation: 5/5 <-- mostly well written, just beware of those typos! Also, beware of the few 4 line dialogue boxes that I spotted.
  • Music & SFX: 5/5 <-- you didn't abuse SFX, and the music played in the right moments.
Overall rating: 4.6/ 5 <-- AKA I'm waiting for part 2.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

The proofreading is finished, we are playtesting part 2 now. If anybody is interested, just say so.
Gamer2002

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ○○○○○ [Part 2 playtesting]

Post by Gamer2002 »

Part 2 is up and this means that I have my first completed AAO trial. Cheers.
Sleuth

Re: [T]Angela Light: Ace Attorney ●○○○○ [Case 1 up]

Post by Sleuth »

Hey sweet. The first part was pretty solid, so I'm looking forward to this.
Spoiler : Stream of Consciousness GOOO :
- Okay I think I vaguely recall some of the last trial. Not much, but I remember there being this "Dark One" guy who's 3edgey5me. Let's see where we're going.
- oh his NAME is Dark. Funny. Well I guess where there is "Light" there must be "Dark". I'm fully expecting the entire Dark family to be the main antagonists/rivals of the game.
- Quick thing; I notice there's not too many contractions. Like a lot of "you are" and "they are" instead of "you're" and "they're". It's a bit odd to hear in dialogue and stilts things a bit.
- Interesting way to shed light on Angela's motivations.
- Seeing a weird glitch where backgrounds show up slightly before the character does. In this first scene alone, the Judge Bench appears over the Gavel, and Payne's desk disappears before he does.
- "I still can't take this name seriously" Hey, not taking people's names seriously is MY job!
- You know for someone who apparently doesn't know him that well, Evan sure does give a lot of information about him. ...Then again I couldn't tell you my classmates' names after spending a year with them so maybe that's just me.
- Excellent intro for Bobby. Plus, DT sprites are always great.
- Oh okay so they ARE friends. I was a bit confused about that, since he seemed pretty upset earlier.
- Gotta say-- The amount of text for some of this evidence is overwhelming. There's too much to read, and it's hard to get a grasp on exactly how this piece of evidence works or what it means when there's so many details. The Lamp and the Schedule are particularly hard to read.
- Okay, I'm stuck on the CE. Any tips for me? I can't seem to figure it out.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

There is Walkthrough for part 1 and part 2 in first post ;P

But if you want just a hint, I assume you are on 2nd CE. I think it is one of 2 hardest. Anyway...
Spoiler : hint :
The devil is in details.
Spoiler : super hint :
Some jokes are vital.
Spoiler : ultra hint :
Think step ahead.
Woah, coming up with vague hints is so fun.
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Cool! I'll play as soon as I get some time on my hands.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

I encourage everyone to play this! While I wasn't able to fulfill all of my testing obligations due to a ridiculously escalating number of substitute teaching jobs - for which I apologize - this is leaps and bounds above Gamer's prior work, and he's put a lot of time into getting people to proofread and edit.

One thing I like about this case is that there'a an actual character arc for the protagonist. You may or may not like the protagonist at first, but there's no denying that she actually develops over the course of the case. Too few cases really do this. There's more at stake when you see the way Kristoph has influenced Angela, and how her own history plays into her perceptions of the courtroom.

My biggest niggle early on was that Angela falls too much into the flirty-insecure-sarcastic-or-evil trap for characterizing female characters on AAO, but her character deepens as the game goes on. So if you're turned off at the opening, give her some time to develop.
Spoiler : Also :
Actual stepladder contradiction.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Okay, got it.
Spoiler : SoC Continued :
- So... I'm still not entirely sure how that worked. I thought we were trying to prove that he'd stayed late?
- I like this song. I presume it's the pursuit music, and it works well.
- Okay, so the logic here confuses me a bit. It doesn't seem very sturdy, at least not with how it's written. He mentioned the ladder, but in actuality he saw... the ladder? I don't really get what this means. Maybe I'm just not following well but I don't fully understand what we just did.
- On top of that, I don't really get the point of his "lie", whatever it was. What DID he lie about, anyways?
- Oh jeez. That's a lot of statements.
- Interesting change of pace, but the co-council conversation does come across a bit tutorial-y. In general, the dialogue for this series could stand to be a bit smoother.
- ...So we're arguing that the killer took vital evidence? Doesn't seem like too sturdy an argument. I mean, by that logic, we could say "well, there IS incriminating evidence, but the culprit just took it". There should at least be some kind of trace.
- I've noticed that the penalty flash doesn't occur in a few areas.
- This theory requires us to presume that he DID drop the tools, which... Well, if he did, he'd have to be pretty clumsy to then slip on them after watching them fall.
- So... why does our claim make sense? She seemed to just kinda handwave the fact that it makes no sense for the killer to take the objects instead of just move them onto the table. I mean saying "the killer was an idiot" isn't exactly solid stuff. It seems like a setup like "the tools were missing" should lead to a stronger reason than "he took them because he wasn't thinking straight".
- Why is the Judge summarizing our claims? Shouldn't we be doing that?
- Wow, way to ruin the moment, Bobby.
- Are we going to base our case-breaking evidence... On whether someone thinks this kid's lit homework is good or not? Okay.
- I like the differing perspectives on the siblings. It's a nice contrast and sheds some doubt onto whether or not Bobby's actually the killer.
- "I never entered the back room and I didn't touch anything inside of it" Missing a period here.
- evil laughs are always fun
- ohai Gavin.
- "IT WAS THE WOOOOOORLD" more like "ZA WARUDO!"
- Pretty high stakes for a first case. I like it.
- Oh snap we got the SUPER TESTIMONY MUSIC. YEAH TIME TO KICK SOME LITIGATION
- Interesting idea for a CE here. I kinda like it, but at the same time... We have what's basically a press-in-order puzzle. And those are rarely fun.
- oh DUH there's a walkthrough. Well.
- Oh geez. This is WAY too convoluted. Without a walkthrough, I honestly don't know if I could get through this.
- Nice use of the flashback. This is a very dramatic case 1, and I like that you didn't pull any punches despite this being the first case.
- Though like I said, some of these presents fall a bit weak. Like, Oldbag not hearing stuff doesn't exactly prove that no one could. It just proves that Oldbag didn't hear it.
- bobby's really shaking things up OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
- alright time to EXACT REVENGE AND INFLICT TRAUMA ON A PERSON!
- angela light? more like angela dark DOHOHOHOOHOHOHOHOHOHO
- oddly enough this is like the third time I've seen a person poison themselves on a witness stand. That's weird. I don't think "getting killed on the witness stand" should be a common thing.
- I love how Gavin's just sitting there like "yup just a normal trial for Kristoph Gavin".
- Payne saves the day.
- Pffft. I love how no one cheers at the end. Nice touch.
- "Don't worry, I have evidence to prove that nobody loves Bobby!"
- Hooray for moral ambiguity!
- i guess you could say this makes her a... fallen angel-a? DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
- oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
- more plot twists. Not quite sure how I feel about this, seeing as we still don't really know his motive. It was more like "welp I was evil and you just never asked" and feels a bit tacked-on to say "ha ha yeah, you feeling bad? Well here's another punch in the stomach!". I like the implications, though. As someone who's been into writing morally dubious protagonists, I like the concepts and themes here, along with the corrupted familial ties. Very interesting to see what else will happen.
- the moral of the story is that nobody is a good person. ever.
Spoiler : Final Thoughts :
Overall: Really good case. Very entertaining and dramatic, and had a good sense of humor. I think the second half really ramped things up quite a bit, and makes a good capstone to the beginning. The logic got hard to follow in places, but generally I understood things... sort of. The spritework was really good for the most part, with Angela's being the only sprites I really had problems with. She falls deeply into the uncanny valley, and it unfortunately is a problem since we're watching her the whole time. But it never got to the point that it really ruined anything, and I maintain that a story should carry a game over the sprites. So I suggest to just keep working on them.

The characters were the standout part of the case, and there was plenty of interesting drama to carry it. About everyone has good moments, even Payne, which I actually really liked. The overall tone of the case was fairly consistent, but it did have moments of narm where it was hard to take seriously, usually when a character started to freak out. The twist at the end I have mixed feelings on, since it's a bit out of left field, and I'm still not entirely sure... why? I don't really see how Evan benefited aside from "getting away with murder". I don't think that in of itself is really worth it, unless his goal was to frame Dark. However, there's a lot of potential to explore these characters, and I look forward to more.

The problems I had were mostly the difficult-to-follow plot, and that the dialogue was pretty stilted in a few places. As I said before, it seems like no one uses contractions, which sounds very unnatural, and there's some times where the dialogue feels a bit like they're talking more to the audience than they are to each other. There's times where Angela feels really awkward, but those clear up by the second part, so it's a marked improvement. And like I said, that last cross-examination... Ooh man. I like that you decided to make something like that, but I don't know if it's beatable without a walk-through. Another issue is that the evidence gets WAY too bulky. I suggest distilling those text descriptions as much as possible, so it's not so hard on the eyes.

Overall, I really liked it. It went to new and interesting places, and the premise in of itself has proven to be very interesting. We have a protagonist with an edge, lots of moral ambiguity, and to top it all off, Kristoph Gavin overseeing us. This can only end well.

I give Angela Dark: Ace Attorney: 5 cans of unopened soda out of pi.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

this is leaps and bounds above Gamer's prior work,
How do you know my prior work? ;o I've never showed Mystery of MASON or Cybernabout to you >P
Spoiler : SS Sleuth :
Okay, so the logic here confuses me a bit. It doesn't seem very sturdy, at least not with how it's written. He mentioned the ladder, but in actuality he saw... the ladder? I don't really get what this means.
He said he saw Carter having a ladder in the classroom when it was a stepladder. The reason why he made this mistake was because stepladder was broken after victim's fall and looked like a regular ladder. After all, he lied about leaving the school before any crime happened and he knew from overheard talk between Oldbag and Carter that Carter was fixing aircon.
This all was to make you believe that Bobby is a culprit and was hiding the fact of his presence in school post the murder (after all, post the murder it was "impossible" to leave the school without stealing Carter's ID Card), but he really believed that the less he said about the crime the better for Evan.
- Interesting idea for a CE here. I kinda like it, but at the same time... We have what's basically a press-in-order puzzle. And those are rarely fun.
It's not press-in-order. You just have to press further 2 statements out of 3 with a 3rd one being a trap, and make 2 presents.
- Though like I said, some of these presents fall a bit weak. Like, Oldbag not hearing stuff doesn't exactly prove that no one could. It just proves that Oldbag didn't hear it.
You are proving that it was possible to not hear the sound inside the school. At that point Bobby is grasping and in middle of a breakdown, it is enough to take him down.

As for questions about Evan's motive and such - I'm not going to answer them, for now. Though I am surprised you didn't figure it out earlier, ID Card contradiction was where I completely stopped hiding that things were set up against Bobby, not Evan.
EDIT: Oh, one more of your points.
Spoiler : :
The missing tools thing. Was Angela stretching? Yes, she even acknowledged herself that she wasn't going to win with this argument. But the problem was that the tools were missing and Payne was unable to explain how and why they went missing, if we are to believe that Evan was the only one who entered the back room.
Not to mention, her theory being correct is entirely different story, as you should know from completing that trial.
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Yeah, I'm going to have to side with Gamer on that point. I suspected and figured out the... "issue" with that piece of evidence long before the reveal. I thought it was foreshadowed nicely.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

How do you know my prior work? ;o I've never showed Mystery of MASON or Cybernabout to you >P
Those were never released to the public? Er, oops. Should have figured from what I saw. Guess the cat's out of the bag.

I have a habit of digging through old trials by ID number to find stuff from other languages, cool abandoned projects, hilarious troll stuff that breaks site rules and was never meant for public release (note: that only happened once or twice and I believe Enthalpy reported both cases), etc. Before v6, even ones that weren't officially released could be explored with a direct link if you hit the right ID number. It's a needle in a haystack if you're looking for anything specific, of course. But you'd be amazed what a person can stumble on if they look at enough random cases. This also revealed a secret project enigma was working on........

(There are ways to simplify this process and generate a list of unreleased v5 trials that are over a certain number of frames, but I'd rather not discuss them. It's all obsolete with v6, anyway. I'm only mentioning it here so that Gamer doesn't conclude that someone leaked his trial and blame the innocent.)
Last edited by Ferdielance on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Ooh, that clears things up a lot. Anyways good work, and congrats on completing your first trial.