[T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

[T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ★

Post by enigma »

Notes
  • The Assistants Turnabout was written by Enigma and DWaM.
  • This case is the winner of the Short and Sweet trial competition hosted by Enthalpy and Ferdie!
  • Play in Firefox!
  • Because of the timers in the case, playing in the V6 player is not recommended.
  • Praise be to Spyromed for fixing the broken tracks, the case should be fully functional once more
Soundtrack
Spoiler : List of Tracks :
  1. Prologue ~ Showdown (A Reason to Live That Sometimes Gets Lost)
  2. Detention Center ~ Elegy of the Damned (Kuroi Hama from Paranoia Agent)
  3. Barker Tortimer ~ ALL AMERICAN HERO (America, F*** Yeah! from Team America)
  4. June Rye ~ Objection 2015 (Ace Attorney Trilogy ~ Title Theme)
  5. ISaAC ~ A Few Screws Loose (Walking on Sleeping from Steins;Gate)

Spoiler Tracks!
    (From here on, all tracks are spoilers for the case! The names and the music may give away important plot elements and twists! Be warned!)
  6. Cross Examination ~ Confession (Horror from Death Note)
  7. Phoenix Wright ~ The Ugly Truth (Higeki from Higurashi
  8. One Shot (Resolution)
  9. Phoenix Wright ~ The Twisted System (The Bonds and The Dreams and The Nightmares from Mawaru Penguindrum)
  10. Broken Urn ~ The Fuse (Cover of Bluebirds Lamentation from Virtues Last Reward)
  11. Mia Fey ~ Fading Fast (And Girl Children of Destiny from Mawaru Penguindrum)
  12. Conclusion ~ Turnabout Assistant (Falling into Darkness)
  13. Credits ~ Burying the Past (English cover of Taishou A from Higurashi Kai)
Walkthrough
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Exhaust all talk options
Present White's Profile
Present Maya's Profile

Press Statements 3 and 4
Select the... um... well... I mean...

Present the Crime Scene Photo on statement 6
Point to the cell window
Select "The Bars on the window"

Present the Visitors List (or ISaAC) on Statement 3
Present Wright's Medical Report on Statement 5

Press Statement 4 (Statement 4-1 Revealed)
Present Wright's Medical Report on Statement 4-1
Present the Visitors List on Statement 4-1

Present ISaAC's Profile
Present White's Profile

Present the Autopsy Report
Present ISaAC's Profile (or the Visitors List)
Present White's Profile (there are bonus convos for presenting other people)
Present the Belt

Make your decision(s) (Note that there are 3 endings here - it is recommended you see all 3 of them; at least entering the office one, mainly because that one explains... well, essentially everything)
Last edited by enigma on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ●

Post by kwando1313 »

Ohey you released it. It was a good case. You should go play it. Well deserved comp winner.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Totally not BB here checking in to say I completely endorse this case and was very privileged to beta-test it, and I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did.
Spoiler : TAT :
If you're reading this, then you can see how it makes me see a character I previously hated in a much different light. TAT treats this specific character like an actual character with a story to tell as opposed to a walking gimmick that loves cheeseburgers, and it's all quite fascinating and unexpected.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
LogicalFallacy
Spoken languages: English

Post by LogicalFallacy »

Time for my first SoC! I'll just skip the formalities and jump right in...
Spoiler : SoC: The Assistant's Turnabout :
I like the throwback to Sisters. Nice intro.
...Well, erm, the first part is. This part with Phoenix in the cells is really eerie. I like it.
And interactivity! Will this be more of a throwback to the first case? We'll see...
Oh, new character. June. Huh...why does the face remind me of Vex Vulper? And why does she have no eyes?!
Oh, I see. When we switched from the beginning of Sisters, I assumed the detention center scene was Phoenix visiting Maya from that same case. But it's an entirely new case...I like it.

Phoenix is guilty. How do I know this? The wrong verdict is always handed down in a DWaM Trial. Even though this isn't a pure DWaM trial I stand by it. Therefore he will be guilty. If he isn't, I'll be pleasantly surprised...
He is a massive troll, constantly cutting me off...
Wow, June was quick. Normally the lawyer asks a few questions and then takes the case. June must be really loyal and dedicated to her clients...or maybe June is just obsessed with Phoenix Wright. Of course, this most likely isn't canon, so maybe he isn't famous, but June said...nevermind. Best not to dwell on this too long.
I want an invisible audience to follow me around and cheer whenever I say something!
Oh, is this another locked room mystery? IDK, the definitions for one seem to vary...
Yep, it is.
Wow, Phoenix is now so unhelpful he's almost Lana Skye territory.
I am the guardinator. Prepare to be guardinated.
But Phoenix, it's not human nature, you're just being a big jerk because you did it!...I think. I don't know yet. Best not to throw assumptions around like that...
Poor June. I feel like I already know what's gonna happen. Impending doom.
Oh, trial already. :3

Once again, poor June.
Well, Phoenix is starting to become my least favorite character. I don't know why, it's just the way he acts rubs me the wrong way...
Oh, I remember this sprite from one of the contests...I think it was Bright Age of The Law. I like it.
MURICA!
I don't dig. As a matter of fact I have no idea what you're saying.
Pfft, he needs a translator. :calisto:
Don't worry about not remembering his name, June, I suck that bad on Attorney Online.
The music is nice, BTW.
So he was found red-handed...literally.
A Canadian man...what?
Well...that's...new...
I just realized, this thing is probably only programmed with one testimony...what'll happen if I find a flaw? Will it be prepared?

Uh, wow...I found that contradiction fast...
5 bucks it's a fake one.
Well, it was technically the "right" one. :P
I kind of disagree with the height explanation...maybe it's just scale, but it looks like anyone who's decently tall would have enough upper body strength to pull themselves up...but uh oh, this is Maya. I doubt she would have the strength to pull it down or be tall enough to climb back up.
Oldbag is in the gallery. XP
Woah, did something flash on screen for a split second? Probably my imagination...
And now the defendant testifies...great...
*Sigh* Let's point out the obvious and get things over with...
Oh, there's more. And Phoenix has an excuse for everything...
There it is again. Something flashed up. Not my imagination.
Here we are...The Truth...

Well, confession, I lose. But I have to CE...
This is the point where I get stuck usually in some AAO trials---what I assume to be the middle/lategame. I'm stuck a bit, so I'll come back later...
Well, Part 2 is a lot shorter...
Spoiler : SoC: The Assistant's Turnabout, Part 2 :
And we're back. That testimony wasn't too bad...just had to think about illogical behavior.
Ooh, and it went nowhere again. Perfect.
And the flashing image again.
Oh, June apparently has some kind of past with him...huh.
IT WAS THE ROBOT ALL ALONG!
Freddy Fazbears...I didn't catch the rest, but wow. :calisto:
*sigh*...well, I guess that didn't go anywhere, either...
Oh, wait, his motive! Let's see if there's anything wrong with it...
Oh damn, plot twist! I like this.
Turnabout time! But I don't know the evidence...
I'll call it quits for now. I have to do something.
Edited to fix some spelling errors and whatnot.
Last edited by LogicalFallacy on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

I have to say I loved this, given the length restriction, and it still felt complete.
Spoiler : further info :
Honestly, I found it fairly easy, the only part I got stuck on was the confession, and that was only until I actually saw the one statement was added. That really isn't clear. Adds difficulty, but probably not worth it. Even the big important remember-everything part I got like instantly, because I already was frustrated in not knowing the time he arrived, because surely that's going to be a coincidence! Still, it didn't stop it from being fun.

Final note: I feel super glad getting the plot twist early. I think the first time June used her confidence sprite, or damage, or something sprite, I was like "Shouldn't I be able to see the eyes here?" Then I made a joke that it's because she's saving them for the big reveal that she's Maya! But then I noticed... just how identical their jaw and mouth and nose were. And then BAM, plot solved, I am murder.

But then I saw the close up and there were the eyes and my theory fell apart but I was still right so there.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : :
I predicted that June = Maya at the very beginning, her examining scenery thoughts were very Maya-like, she also mentioned Global Studios. Though I also wondered if you were going with pink haired April-May-June twist, since we already had Redd White involved.
It was enjoyable and not very hard.
Though I don't really get why Mia suddenly started saying mean things to Maya after being hit in the head and nearly murdered. Though when I was watching this scene it was late and I was kinda tired.
Anyway, did original autopsy report in 1-2 had information about Mia being hit twice? :P
Still have to play other entries, but on its own it does look like a deserved 1st place.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Spoiler : @Gamer :
Well, part of what makes this case possible is the fact that the autopsy report in 1-2 wasn't very... reliable. It wasn't Hazama levels, but it is where the joke of updating autopsies comes from, I believe. In any case, the idea here is that Redd White would want to hide any involvement (especially anything that would imply he was the killer, and even at worst, at least the ability to get off on it not being premeditated/accidental. Two hits to the head would be pretty premeditated.) Or maybe he had a completely different reason. Or, as Phoenix pointed out, the police could have just been incompetent. The main thing is, 2-1's case was pretty damn rigged, and so nothing about that case is that concrete. On top of that, Redd White was never actually proven guilty. He was just blackmailed into confessing. All in all, 2-1 is a flexible case that you can have cases like this fit into the canon.

Of course, you can just say the case is AU, if you're not pleased with that. This case does intentionally skirt the line there/play with it.

As for working it out, congratulations! Good job! (Also, this means I wrote June right that some people caught on from her dialogue and thoughts and others didn't.) Though, funnily enough, you're not the only one who thought of the April May possibility. Must be the pink hair and name.

As for Mia being mean, it's more of a minor lapse in character. She was stressed, panicked, in pain, dizzy and just generally not thinking straight so she blurted out all the stuff she was thinking but would never say. Think of it like how people get weirdly honest if you ask them things when they're half-asleep. ^_^"
Spoiler : @Reecer6 :
Well, the confession has that there just to smooth out the transition a little. Also, June DOES say that she's adding it to the testimony...

As for working out the twist, that's partly intentional. I was going to wait until the end to reveal, myself, but DWaM pointed out that most people would work it out earlier (and he was right) so that's why we have the reveal where it is. A place where it fits snuggly, but where a good amount of the players will have worked it out by.

And yeah! The sprites were a life saver because they really do look like Maya in disguise. They were a perfect fit for us! XD
Spoiler : @Fallacy :
I'll respond to your SoC once it's completed! Good luck!
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Spoiler : ok :
Oh, really? Can't believe I missed that. Whoops!
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
LogicalFallacy

Post by LogicalFallacy »

I have decided to put my last part of the SoC in a new post, since it's been an entire day.
Anyway...
Spoiler : SoC: The Assistant's Turnabout, Part Final :
Ugh! I can't think of anything!
I slept on it and I still can't figure it out!
Ok, let's look through that recap one more time.
...Wait, when did he arrive? Is that a typo? There's no way it's that, that's too obvious.
...No. No no no. This is a joke. That's not possible. No. No. No. Something must have happened. This is like Turnabouts of the Father. The evidence was tampered with. No. No. I did not miss this. I did not miss this. I did not mi- HOW DID I MISS THIS?!
Yes, Judge, I AM having a breakdown! Thank you for noticing!
Oh, look, Edgeworth is having the same reaction! Great! Absolutely...splendid...I spent an entire night thinking for THAT.
More evidence to present...gah I'm so mad. I overlooked something so...key!
"This is a horrible dream and I cannot wake up."- My sentiments exactly.
"This is all a hallucination. I'm not really here."- A little extreme, but I still agree.
So Phoenix couldn't, and ISaAc couldn't...so that means...
Laugh it up, Phoenix. Laugh it up. God I hate you so much right now.
So this was all why...huh...
...It's not justified. I mean, it's pretty IC, that's for sure. He did a similar thing for the jurist system, but...I still hate him.
From what I'm seeing, it looks like Redd hung himself...huh. I guess he was just too much of a coward to face execution.
Two different strangulation marks? Wow. Normally they don't miss something THIS big.
I wonder, why didn't Edgeworth pick up on these issues? I feel so bad for him. To suffer such a humiliating and utter defeat. Being beaten isn't bad, it's just with HOW.
"Is this what you would consider to be a path to justice?!" But I won in the end, so...uh...yes? Was that the right question to ask?
Heh. I guess he has a point, though...
Either my game glitched or I heard no cheering.
"But it would be a nice plot twist at the end." Well, now I hate him again.
So after all that, he really still believes that she...huh...
Oh, Mia...I guess in the end, knowing why someone does something really doesn't matter, now does it? The motive is always demanded, but never really needed...
I really have nothing to say on this whole speech...not saying it's bad, but I just don't know what to say.

Oh, hi Pearlaya. How have you been?
I was joking, but she really does seem to have the same poses as Pearl...oh, well. Custom spriting is hard and it's still well done. Coming up for a bunch of different custom poses for a small portion near the end wouldn't be worth the effort, I suppose.
Doesn't know why she wants to touch it, she just does. Such is the mindset of all children.
Oh look, she broke the vase.
This is why I dislike children.
Having an older sibling move away to do something is thankfully something I never experienced. It must be such a sad situation to be in...poor Maya.
Why do all kids have cell phones?! Maya has a cell phone? Seriously, my 8 year old brother has one but I'm not allowed to and I'm almost twice his age...ugh...
Yay, adult Maya!
Personally, I think it would have been cool if Kid Maya used all of adult Maya's poses , but like I just said...too much work for a small portion.
When they've tasted complete and utter defeat...just like my first Attorney Online case! (No, not Ace Attorney Online, just Attorney Online. :P)
Maya doesn't seem too enthusiastic...
Oh, I see...so Mia survived the initial blow...
Wow. She's the victim, but she's saying such bad things. :C
Maya?
...MAYA MAYA NO
Maya, you can talk it out! Please! Please don't...!
NO NO NO NO
...Damnit, Maya, you killed her.
You know, this makes me realize...if the police were more competent, the Autopsy would say 2 blows to the head. No contradiction in the 2nd testimony, bam, White goes free. But would that be good? Maya gets arrested for her crime, but that case had such an impact on Phoenix, and so did Maya...was a miscarriage beneficial here? Hmm...I'm not sure...this is something to consider...
Alright, I guess I'll go in...
And that's where it ends. I chose the "Go in" ending (not spoiling anything past that) and I was really caught up in the ending---like most endings, and I kind of forgot to type anything down. But I can gladly say
I ALMOST don't hate Phoenix at the end of all this.
Spoiler : Thoughts :
In the end, solid case. I really did like all the twists that came through. Well, there were only 2, really, in the case---Maya is June and giant contradiction that everyone somehow missed. And I don't think the latter is really a twist.
Gameplay wise, it was pretty tight. Compared to some other cases I've played on here, it was kind of easy, but short doesn't necessarily equal bad. On the contrary, you had just enough time to tell the story and tell it well. The few OCs were memorable, ISaAC was especially cool. I don't forgive easily, so I guess that's a reason I kept holding something against Phoenix, even when I realistically should have liked him at the end, but whatever. Overall I really liked this.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
enigma

Post by enigma »

My apologies for taking so long to getting around to doing this. ^_^" I've decided to simply respond to your thoughts, since I found most things in the SoC I didn't have much to add/say. XP
Spoiler : @LogicalFallacy :
The main thing about this case is that it isn't a puzzle. At all. The real point is the story and the characters of Phoenix and June. As such, it wouldn't make sense for this to be as difficult as AAO cases tend to be (though I'd argue it's difficulty is about the same as the real games). A Two Sides or ToC or Tomorrow really wouldn't fit here, since the main goal is for you to focus on the story and think about that. As for the twists, well, I suppose there's also the twist that Maya killed Mia and not Redd White, right? Anyway, glad you liked them.

With the OC's, funny story. DWaM basically said for me to "go wild" with making the witnesses and, well, that I did. I do regret not making more animations for ISaAC but... Spriting is hard ;_;. Actually, fun fact, originally ISaAC was going to be a normal guard but I had the idea to make him a robot to avoid the "pee break" problem but, more importantly, because the original script required a security camera in the guard room but not the cells for proving the guards innocent which would have been... weird. So, ISaAC's eye patched that problem up!

As for Phoenix, I can see why you would have a grudge against him. He does sorta mess with everyone during the case. At the end, the goal was for his actions to be explained and to shed light on how he's been thinking and feeling during the case. But just because it's justified to some degree, doesn't mean you have to like/agree with Phoenix.

Anyway, glad you like it overall. Thank you so much for taking the time to play this case. ^_^

(One thing to note, though. In your SoC you note that Redd probably committed suicide so he didn't have to face execution. However, what we actually aimed to imply in the game was that he was worried that Phoenix was coming to see him because of the list. He probably figured that Phoenix was going to blackmail him or just plain reveal the list to the world. In any case, it doesn't really matter in the end, but that's the "canon" reason, if you were wondering.
spideyx

Post by spideyx »

I really loved this case, it was really awesome! But...
There's a huge plothole. When we learn that Maya killed Mia, there's a huge contradiction with the fact that Maya hit Mia: Mia was hit once. And even if Maya did hit him again, then Phoenix wouldn've been able to find the second contradiction of White's testimony, thus he would've gone to jail, and everything that happened in this case(or his entire career for that matter) wouldn't have happened. Other than that though, awesome case....

Actually, now considering everything that happened in this case, the police overlooked the second blow even though it was obvious, didn't they? Nevermind.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

spideyx:
Spoiler : Well... :
I think "the police messed with it" is probably right. Remember that April May was set up as a witness, and would have reported one blow in her account to the police. Redd, too, would have expected there to be only one blow. If he said to some official, "Make sure this autopsy is consistent with the story Ms. May gave you, or you'll regrettify it," they'd definitely neglect the second wound. The scalp bleeds very heavily, too, so Gumshoe might not have even noticed it at the scene when he examined the body; the blood could have covered it. It would be up to the coroner's office to present their account, and Redd would definitely want to make sure the "survival after death" and the "time of death" angles were covered.

He really has only himself to blame! If he hadn't messed with the report so much, Edgeworth might have found out that Maya was the killer after all. But once it was clear that the autopsy report had been updated/messed with, I doubt Edgeworth would have expected any of the changes to clear Maya.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
nikekut456

Post by nikekut456 »

Somehow the ending when entering the office kinda reminds me of this video, especially the ending part
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

spideyx wrote:I really loved this case, it was really awesome! But...
There's a huge plothole. When we learn that Maya killed Mia, there's a huge contradiction with the fact that Maya hit Mia: Mia was hit once. And even if Maya did hit him again, then Phoenix wouldn've been able to find the second contradiction of White's testimony, thus he would've gone to jail, and everything that happened in this case(or his entire career for that matter) wouldn't have happened. Other than that though, awesome case....

Actually, now considering everything that happened in this case, the police overlooked the second blow even though it was obvious, didn't they? Nevermind.
Even though you edited the post anyway, it's called "an alternate universe."

Granted, one of the things that I really like about this case, is very much like ToC, you don't need to change a whole lot to make the AU work.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Tiir

Post by Tiir »

Just finished this case in around 45 minutes. Originally, I was getting annoyed playing through the case since some parts just didn't seem to mesh up smoothly. It came together nicely at the end though, so kudos for that.
Messed up once during the end and kind of got lucky there too since I thought the police wouldn't be as incompetent as they were in this alternate reality. But that was the point of Phoenix's case so I guess I can let it be. But seriously, you made the police, detectives, and prosecution seem absolutely retarded and would no doubt not be the case when an actual murder occurs. Even if this was an alternate universe, it's just hard to imagine them being so incompetent as to missing stuff like not noticing the double strangulation marks.
One of my favorite parts in this case was the alternate story revolving around Mia/Maya/Phoenix at the end. While I would understand someone getting upset about a close family member 'lying' to them, it's illogical to think murder would be the result of it. Especially with how close Maya and Mia were. I know it's a huge psychological blow to Maya but as a person who makes a living in the field of Psychology, this just doesn't seem plausible. But ignoring that, I loved their past story and how Phoenix came to forgive and accept Maya for what she's done to both him and Mia in the past. It was pretty touching.
- I wasn't a huge fan of the music choices during the trial. It just really didn't blend well, imo.

- The difficulty seemed to be just right. Not easy and not too difficult. It made you think a bit before presenting.

- The Five Nights at Freddies and Dual Destinies references were pretty cool to add. Also, thank you for adding that optional mini-rant you did in one of the obvious wrong choices part towards the people of these forums who have made trials and have added extremely pointless text for the sake of some petty humor. Never understood the point of it and most of them were not even funny :gray:

All in all, this was a pretty interesting case to play. Seemingly disappointing at first, but became a pretty good story to read in the end. If I were to rate the whole thing overall out of 10, I'd probably give it a solid 7/10.