[T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ●

Post by Calvinball »

Well, I finished playing through this trial, and for something so short and sweet you really knocked my socks off, DwaM, enigma! If it's alright, I'd like to put down a few of my thoughts... a review, of sort? Well, spoilers for the case will abound, so it's all under the spoiler tag.
Spoiler : :
So, basically that was probably the craziest, twistiest, turniest fan case I've ever seen. Honestly, the only thing I can think of that has a similar amount of twistiness is Rise From the Ashes from the actual games! SO many twists, and all so exquisitely executed!

Also, thank you for the walkthrough. I nearly didn't get through the game and I would've lost without it. Honestly, I don't really understand how saving works in AAO. Contributes to why I haven't really played through as many fan cases as I'd like! ^~^

I think you captured all the characters really well. There were some moments that seemed awfully OOC (Maya hitting the injured Mia with the Thinker clock comes to mind) but they made sense given the circumstances. I suppose it is necessary to think about how LONG Mia had been telling Maya she would do "great things." Through the trial we only get a couple snapshots as a result of the case needing to be relatively short, so it's really important to think about how Maya was probably told this by Mia thousands of times in addition to the couple times we saw, every time Mia lying through her teeth as coolly as any perp in Ace Attorney lore. It's enough to make one a little upset.

Also, it's a fancase, potential AU, so splitting off of canon is expected. No harm no foul.

Honestly, I thought your Phoenix Wright was amazing. He really epitomized the snarky Hobo!Phoenix we all know and love, the one that's just Phoenix giving voice to his inner snark, his inner troll. The exasperation and frustration of three years of defending under such an inane system are rather evident in how Phoenix takes such glee in showing everyone what a mockery the court makes of justice.

On that note, while I know some people were bothered that the police made such a glaring mistake, I thought it was very sensible given Ace Attorney canon. They've done much worse (Dustin Prince writing Maggey's name in the sand despite dying immediately of a broken neck springs to mind) and Edgeworth was sleep-deprived. Honestly, I didn't notice it at all. Kudos to your obfuscatory writing, giving the player all the answers and yet making sure they don't notice it until they're supposed to. THAT takes skill.

All in all that was a ton of fun to play and it was a fascinating character study. The "June is Maya" twist hit pretty hard too and blindsided me completely, though it all made sense in the end. Really, I don't know how you two came up with it. That it was exquisite is all I can really say.

Also, nice touch not including the cheering and confetti at the end of the trial. Definitely makes the moment last and hit very hard. Really gives the player pause.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: [T][CE] The Assistant's Turnabout ☆

Post by Bad Player »

☆ This case is pending a QA inspection to be featured.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Nice. Should be able to get featured... But good luck anyways~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
ned63

Post by ned63 »

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler : Contradiction :
It was a good trial but...
:objection:
This trial is in direct contradiction to the facts!
And... I have evidence!
:takethat:
Take a a look at Turnabout Sisters.
Look at the updated autopsy report.
Notice that it says...
MIA WAS KILLED BY A SINGLE BLOW!
And if she was killed by two blows, then, in White's explanation, Phoenix wouldn't be able to contradict him, as he said "You see? You hit her twice!", and he would probably be in prison for Mia Fey's murder.

Unless, of course, it's set in a Alternate Universe, in which case, that was all one big waste of time :calisto:
Ah well!
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

@Calvinball: Sorry for the long time I took to reply! I've been bogged down with tests in recent days and such. Let me respond to you now.
Spoiler : Response to Calvinballs review (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T FINISHED) :
Let me begin by saying, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm actually quite firmly tickled pink by them~! I'm really just so glad you enjoyed it.

I think with the OOC moments, it should be kept in mind that what we see of interaction between Maya and Mia is very brief. Postmortem, the only times they're ever really together is one scene after Maya's almost died Naturally, they are close to a good degree and they care about eachother but, well, people do terrible things on impulses. And, at least in TAT, their relationship is plagued with the strain Kurain puts on them, the way they've been distanced and Maya's own feelings of inadequacy and her fears of being abandoned and such (some of which are even present to some degree in the official games). TAT sort of gives Mia a bad rep, to be fair. She isn't really lying, or if she is it's more to herself than to Maya. She's made herself believe that what she's doing is the right thing and that Maya is receiving an honour and will do great things... But deep down she knows the "truth", and that's what spills out when she's at her lowest and most angry/upset (and maybe, just maybe, she's a little dazed from that hit to the head and isn't thinking very straight.) Though, again, as you say we only see snapshots of the lives of the two characters and their relationship, so it needs to be bared in mind how deep some of these issues run and how many good and bad times exist between those gaps.

And again, how "canon" it is is up to the reader so if you're not satisfied, you can just take it as AU and no harm is done.

Now, with Phoenix Wright, i have to put the limelight on DWaM. He wrote the majority of Nick, so it's mainly his wonderful writing. I'm just piggybacking on his skill! Haha!

With the police's mistake, I'd say that's exactly it! The police have always been this incompetent (well, that depends on your opinion, I suppose) it's just no-one has ever called them out on it! Exploring the incompetence of the police, however, wasn't something originally in the very first draft (which frankly looks nothing like the end result) and was something DWaM put in. It really makes the story all the better, imo. But, yes. TAT aimed to really capitalize/highlight the incompetence of the AA police (young kid fired a gun that dislocated a trained officers shoulder with no repercussions, anyone?) and how badly it could mess up a case! Edgeworth being sleep deprived could be a way of pointing out how AA prosecutors are apparently always busy, but really it's just a way of making sense of the fact that Edgeworth didn't notice the contradiction himself (as well as a bit of foreshadowing.) Though, on top of that you could argue that how rushed trials are in AA screwed him over too! In any case,a big thank you again for the compliment on the writing of the case. That gives me warm fuzzies inside~!

I really enjoyed playing with foreshadowing for the June/Maya twist and it never ceases to amuse me how there seems to be a more-or-less equal number of those that got the twist, and those who were surprised. That means we did our jobs well! One thing I'd like to point out, is that June Rye is actually a subtle play on Maya Fey. Maya Fey, apparently, means (in a base sense) "May" and (a warped version of the name meaning) "Trust". June Rye is the month June, right after May, and an alternate spelling of Rai which also means trust. There's other things too, and I wholeheartedly recommend skimming through again and seeing all the little touches foreshadowing the twist!

As for the idea/story, actually, that's a funny story. I've actually wanted to do this exploration of Maya's character, the shadiness/general offness of Turnabout Sisters (you don't prove White guilty, you blackmail him into confessing!) and generally putting the whole messed up world of Kurain in the spotlight. It's a story I've wanted to do since more or less the time I joined AAO and, in a way, TAT could be considered my "masterpiece". I've attempted this story... Well, I can't even count how many times. If I remember correctly, the last time I attempted it I had DWaM help me but... It never got anywhere. In any case, I pitched the (at the time) latest synopsis for the story under the title "A Turnabout Reprised" to DWaM. He looked at it and figured it could be done better and gave a much better plot, which was initially "The Turnabouts Wicked Pendulum". The end product is more or less nothing like Reprised except for it's core story/idea, and certain elements (Maya defending Phoenix for the murder of Redd White in prison) and does bear a passing resemblance to Wicked Pendulum but a lot has changed. Especially with the endings. Other differences is that, since I had full reign over the witness characters, Detective Tortimer wasn't originally a thing. And more importantly, ISAAC was originally an unnamed ordinary guard and his alibi was taken by a normal security camera. I found having a security camera in the lobby but not in the cells sorta weird and, well, there's the issue of toilet breaks and other points where a human wouldn't have an alibi. On top of that, I wanted to do a robot witness and already had a concept half sprited. And, so, ISAAC was born. There were other changes and whatnot, but I don't really feel like listing them all here. Maybe some other time.

Finally, I'm so glad you "got" that the missing confetti and cheering was intentional! It really is a neat little symbolic element, I'd say, not to toot any horns here. It really shows this wasn't a trial (in-universe) to be celebrated and, hopefully, makes the player think.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really glad that you enjoyed it.
@Ned63: Glad to hear you thought the trial was good! As for your contradiction, actually that's been brought up quite a few times. I would write up the explanation for it, but Ferdielance pretty much explains it all and much neater than I could so I'll just link you to Spideyx's comment and Ferdielance's reply (I know it's on the last page but... Ya know. i wanna be helpful...).
Spoiler : Alternatives (MAJOR SPOILERS) :
Alternatively, however, it could also be just like what happened in this case! The police messed up, simply because they're incompetent. Even the situations are similar, two rope marks to two head wounds.

Or this could just be an AU. That's the nice thing about this, it's up to your interpretation of the case whether this is in canon or in a totally different timeline. And up to you to decide just what happened in Turnabout Sisters, too! Did the police stuff up? Did Redd White? Who knows!

Anyway, in the end, just pick the situation/solution you like most. Thank you for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
ned63

Post by ned63 »

Spoiler : Spoilers About The case!(Includes my thoughts) :
Oh, I guess that makes sense... I should have thought of that lol.
(I thought I was a genius when I realized that, lol) Before I got the full trilogy on m 3DS, I had the iPad version, and that only has 1-1 and 1-2 (Turnabout Sisters) and I played it so many times I basically memorized the evidence, lol)
Personally, I'm gong to assume it's in a AU because, frankly, I don't want to label Phoenix a jerk and Maya a murderer :P
That and, when Mia was being mean to Maya, which led to Maya hitting her, she seemed a bit... Out of Character.
Phoenix also seemed out of character for almost the whole trial, but I think you captured Maya's persona quite well.
I also really liked the 3 endings mechanic, although I think you should label them or something so we know what Maya actually did.
Overall, it was a great trial, it was short, didn't have a proper investigation, but that's what made it so good! The contradictions weren't too bad; I didn't need the walkthrough, and I loved the custom sprites.
So yeah! I really loved it, and honestly, I think it should be featured! :larry:
DragonTrainer

Post by DragonTrainer »

There is one instance I can think of where this case could work without it taking place in an AU:
Even when taking into account that Mia only died from a single blow, this case can still work as taking place in canon. All you have to do is consider the possibility that maybe...

Maya never (directly) killed Mia.

Everything else, however, did happen as presented. Redd White's attack did not immediately kill Mia. Mia woke up and said all those things to Maya. Maya really did get angry at Mia and really did want her to die in that instance.

What really happened, however, was that Maya simply told Mia to "drop dead" and walked away without calling the ambulance. When she cooled her head and went back into the office, it was too late. Mia had already died from blood loss. Either that or Mia had died from the shock of hearing her own sister telling her to drop dead. Either way, Maya had indirectly caused the death of Mia by denying her any immediate medical attention. Of course, this would result in Maya blaming herself for the years to come. The event was so traumatizing and the guilt so gripping that Maya had "rewritten" her own memories to the point that she really did believe she had struck Mia on the head. Mia wouldn't know about this "memory rewrite" and simply assumed Maya was feeling guilty about letting her bleed to death.

Of course, that's just a crazy theory and no doubt contradicts Enigma and DWaM's intended version of what really happened.

Also, I can't think of a way to explain away the possibility of Phoenix seeing black psych-locks around Maya during her confession... >_>
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Thank you for replying to my comments/slightly jumbled review, Enigma! I'll have to play through again sometime to see all the little details with the better lighting of prior knowledge. If I may add one thing about
Spoiler : Spoilers for the end of the trial! :
how I felt when there was no cheering or confetti at the trial's conclusion. After Phoenix's big speech my jaw just sort of dropped and I didn't really know what to say. When no cheering happened, I realized that the gallery... was experiencing the exact same emotions as me. And it made sense for them to. I think that's why I "got" it so well and why it struck me as so powerful.
Thanks again for the response! Best of luck with getting featured, though I don't think you and DWaM need it with this case, since you've both done a fantastic job.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
NoHeart

Post by NoHeart »

Welp. I'm new here, might as well have fun doing this. :^)

Hopefully it's good. >:3

This turned out really long. Sorry. First SoC:
Dat Case 2 start.
Good lord the sound is loud. halp.
Oh my music is loud too. halp
Chief is ded. :(
Aww Nick, don't cry. You're... only in a cell?
Wright y u in cell.
No, it's cos you're wright. so u need to be in court. :^)
Huh? Why is Maya in some weird white/black image.
Wright? Did you kill Maya? wut
Poker?
Let's find out? K.
Showdown Time(?)

June? lel. At least she has an attorney's badge.
Yes, let's talk about noodles. Dat hungry sound.
oh wut. hi nick.
"I'm... I mean - my name is Rye..." That sounds so fishy. like her name's not actually Rye.
Ohhh it's June Rye.

"I'm pretty cold." You're in a jacket. You also fell off of a bridge and landed in freezing water. wut
"June Rye... What does that remind me of?" Nick do u know this person.
Dat sudden stop. nick wat u playin at

Oh my Hold it.
Dang time waster.

Wait, if Rye actually volunteered to be the defense attorney for Wright, why was she complaining earlier? "Why couldn't someone else do this?" or something?

"Believe in their clients no matter what!" ? Does she know Wright?

Bad pun nick. bad pun.
Joan Rye? wut. Good remembering Nick.
Why is she surprised that Wright has a daughter? O_o

What the.
Best shortened summary.
"There once was a man named Redd White. He's dead now. The end."
You went there around 10PM? Visiting Hours should be over :^)

oh wut.
let's jsut drag maya into this :^)
whow. maya must be strong to knock out wright. who survived being knocked and flung into a telephone pole by a car.
three years of burger insurance? ok. XD
Yet let's go speak to Maya. where is she though?
Some defense attorney you are Rye. Already doubting your clients. What ever happened to believing? :p
Jude Rye? Amazing remembering wright.
"Besides his corpse and... Ms Fey I mean." why the pause? Does Rye have a connection to Maya?

BEST CLIENT EVER! Wise words Rye.
Well at least the guard was a nice guy.

Out of talk options. TO THE BADGE WE GO!

Dang, that's a lot you get from a badge.
Oh never mind.

Well, profile time I guess?

Uhhh. Present Wright to Wright?

That reaction. XD
Ace Hobo. New game. Capcom pls

huh. Rye and Maya have similar potraits. With their eyes covered+same smile.

Present Redd White?
oh he's pissed.
"no. you don't." skumbag Nick?
Ohhh. Nick hired Rye? ok

Present Maya's profile?
"She was... I guess it doesn't matter." Jeeeeez.
Well, Nick is set on saying Maya's the murderer. intresting XD

Dat fade.

"I should've just stayed home and not played this game." Wut the.
Is my precious fourth wall falling?!
"I hate you Phoenix Wright! I hate you and this entire case!" Wow. The sudden change of heart. Are you Franziska? Being so miffed? :3

That music.

"Maya Fey killed White and then escaped due to her magical medium powers!". How do you know that Maya has medium powers? I thought no-one believed in them...
That self doubt.
Stop falling Rye ._.
aww. edgeworth's prosecuting.
Not that i have a case
Our relationship? Somehow, it sounds like it wasn't a joke. Wright, do you two know each other?
Also "Mr Edgeworth...?" Makes it sound like you two did know each other. At some point.

-----In Court-----

That introduction. Rye's poses remind me of Mia's. idk
Troll Wright detected.
Edgeworth? You look a litttle... idk. faded? I guess?
Oh my. he sure snapped back quickly. XD
lel he's tired.
"*Yawn*" I'm not convinced.
Put you in glasses? Cue Dual Destinies!
What is this Wright Sprite? He looks like he's unhappy.
"By becoming a petty gambler?" i thought he played poker for the lulz.
STILL A FIGURE OF SPEECCH
Judge, I thought u waz da pokerhead of courtroom no.3
Yeahhhh, keep Mr Wright in check. How does that work again?
3 nights ago? Good lord. Edgeworth u slow poke :gray:
Wright vs Edgeworth?

----Witness Intro----

That witness name.
Great. Why do I have a feeling I'm going to hate this witness.
Cool sprites though.
"not a circus detective."
That music.
American Hero? Ok
Bobby Fulbright wants his pose back.
Jake Marshall wants his lines back.
Daryan wants his hair back.
He won a hair contests? Really? XD
Rye looks unimpressed.
Edgeworth is fuzzy again.
"Uncoolness". Whow

----Pre CE----
This Cross Examination music sounds like the Percieve.
Yes, let's just sleep in the crime scene. PERFECT!
wut. when did White get smashed in the head.
"Cutting locks". heh physce-locks :^)
That 'Objection!' is Mia's. Rye = Mia? her connections with Wright+Intro maes sense...
Yeah. Interpretator migth be a good idea.
I don't speak that language either mah boi.
Take that Edgeworth. You are the interpretator. Rekted
Judge just rekted edgeworth. what is happening?!

----CE----
Wait, I don't have any evidence. wut
WHERE'S MY AUTOPSY REPORT?
Snoozing =/= Concious. What the heck detective?
Oh. So Wright... lied to us?
Ohh there we go. The autopsy report!
??? Who uses their own belt to strangle someone? That implicates them further.
Wright slammed him against the cell bed? Damn, I remember the days when Wright got punched by White and got tasered by --------
??? Who takes their victims blood and puts it on their hand? GENIOUS!
Lol Barker is in the picture.
Bent window? k. what an absolutely terrible prison cell :^)
Welp, time to review evidence.

----Evidence Review----
...Creator, did you make a mistake on the autopsy report? The time of death is... rather... uh, early. As in, he was dead before Wright even came. Wut. Wright arrived at 10, he died at 9. Either Creator mistake, or I'm drunk.

Welp, at least I have his belt.

Wait. then how was his pants held up?

On second thought... I SAID NOTHING. I SAID ABSOLUTELY NO-

----CE Resume----
"My client is completely insane!" Well that's nice Rye.
Insanity plea? Ok.
!
I'm hearing Turnabout Sister's theme.
Ok... Mia = Rye can happen, but she's dead. So... does that mean Rye = Maya?
The music is cool. It's like a mesh of all musics.
"A Canadian man singing the theme song of a magical girl anime assisted by Canadian Batman is behind this!" What the heck? XD

Oh no, the fancy edgeworth smirk/smug face D:
Decisive Witness time?
Object? weird way to describe a person.
Yes or no? Good lord, Prosecution vs Witness is like Bryne Faraday vs Mackrell whatever.
Edgeworth! Stop going Fuzzy mode! D:
"No. Way." Rye? What's going on?

Holy merry mother of Joseph.

"This is a witness?" Well, if this is a witness, I think channeling dead spirits is good too.
His 3 laws reminds me of Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.
"There's still the parrot" Edgeworth...

----Pre CE 2----

The Machine that Won the Trial. Wowwww.
What the heck.
1 in 999 is still a possibility. Lel
Stayed at Home is just the key words of this case. :^)

----CE 2----
BENT WINDOW TIME TO SHINE!
Escaping things? Well, interesting past...
Another way into the cell indeed.
"No, there was NOT." Edgeworth forceful much?
"Yes, there WAS." Wow Rye, forceful much?
I still love this music btw. I can hear DD + Turnabout Sisters lel
Welp. did i do it wrong?
Edgeworth just stomped on my idea. I think.
Aww, the window is too high.
"But they're bent!" resolves EVERYTHING Rye. EVERYTHING.
99.25%? What happened to the other .75%?
Agitated? White? Lel
Edgeworth: [Fuzzy Mode: On]
"They are, Your Honor." ? How does... Rye... know that? Unless Rye has connections with Wright/Edgeworth?
Zzz Edgeworth. Zzz. :yogi:
WHAT THE
RANDOM OLDBAG :hobo:
Uhh. Wright? no. no. that's almost worst than Danganronpa's bathtub scene in the first game. Whoops. Said too much.
"I'm done playing games Wright!" Wright, are you the mastermind?
YEAH, LET THE DEFENSE CONTROL THE CLIENT. Thanks Your Honor!
"For now." Great.
"Surrounded by people you call your friends." That's odd. I thought only Edgeworth would be someone you call your friend. Unless... Rye?

----Pre CE 3 ----
Wright on a piano. You better take lessons from the professor...
1 extra - on his cross examination thing. Unless it's just my screen that's bad. lel
Wright still sticking to his old story.
"Shred his testimony to pieces!" What is this? Am I the prosecutor now too? Is Edgeworth getting angry? Damn

----CE 3----
"That's a lie." That was rather... abrupt.
Wright's face. Looks like he's squinting his mouth
"Wright, you've seen mroe than a coupel of bodies in your lifetime." That makes it sound like everyone around him just dies. Thanks Edgeworth.
He just shrugged off the contradiction like nothing! D:
Maya Gutenburger Fey? Wut the
Welp, sorry Wright. But you lied.
Visitors list! I choose you!
"It was the eyes." Wright is so troll...
"Do you believe... in spirits?' oh god.
"...No. I don't." A pause? A lie. I'm feeling as if Wright just say the Pysche-Locks.
What is going on? Is Wright just trolling us to buy time so he can blow up the courtroom or something?
"There's no need for me to do that." Wright? It makes is sound like... "You've already made a fool of the court yourselves." I don't know why.
Yeah Wright! Don't ignore the issue you fool!
SUCH COMPELLING ARGUEMENTS! :calisto:
"Believe in me, who believes in you!" ?
Oh. Rye did offer to be Wright's attorney.
Makes me wonder why she keeps saying 'I should've stayed at home'. xD
Truth.jpeg is op.
Oh god. Wright? He looks unhappy.

----Pre CE 4----
There was no-one at the scene.
*Click*
I killed White, strangling him with my belt.... Sudden music.
That confession.
Wright?
What the heck r u doing?
Also what the heck? Where'd you get your belt?! Did you just pull it o- *Censored*
"What are you doing, Wright?!" My reaction in a nutshell.
Also wtf Wright, your plan is just retarded full of loopholes!
"Telling the truth."? What a troll. and WITH the smug face too! What the heck!
"I wanted the truth, not more lies!" But your case was... what Wright essentially said.
Oh, Wright. You took the words right out of my mouth.
This is awkward.

----CE 4----
Welp, I'm instantly going to press the blood smearing thing. That was just stupid.
New testimony? yes pls.
MEDICAL REPORT! GO!
"Would you consider yourself a stupid man?" Huh. Interesting question.
Dangit.
My music! NOOO!
"Must've been an oversight." Wright. Dang u.
"There's no reason I'd lie." I beg to differ.
Back to CE... dangit.
"We're total strangers, remember?" This sentence stands out.
"I grew up and became the Demon Defense Attorney." Wright, are you mocking Edgeworth? :O
What the? Do I jsut press everything?
"My... assistant, she was prone to those kinds of things, too." Is this some small hint to Rye = Maya?
Twice confession? Damn Maya. Let's see... the Dr Grey one... and... uh... which other one was it ?
Huh... what do I do?
Meticulously planned? Why use your belt?
Hm, I have a feeling Wright's messing with us.
Well, I have an issue with this statement honestly.
Someone knocked you out? Prepostrous. How can that be if no-one except you entered?
I keep hearing this *Brpt* noise everything I get an objection. Wut.
"Another one of his bluffs!" Does that mean Rye sticks more to cold facts like Justice than bluffing like Wright?
"A massive blunder? Me?... Don't be silly. You know me." What? That makes no sense! Wright, you claimed you two were 'Complete strangers' just then!
Wright showed emotion! New achievement!
God darnit! Wright, stop slipping out of my questions!
Wow, did Wright just pull another 'It slipped my mind'?

----Post CE(?)----
Edgeworth is siding with us? Hazzah!
"Does he hate me that much?" Wut. Rye, are you confessing that you two know each other? The only possibility is that Rye = Maya, honestly. Because Rye = Mia doesn't work out cos she's dead.
Egads! I can't think of a reason! -Edgeworth
dangit. i think i got the bad ending.
oh nope, Rye with the :objection:
"I'm still one of the few that remember the kind he was." Ok, so Rye = Maya?
"With the hair covering your face, you can see?"
"At least I HAVE hair..." What a conversation!

Present Redd White suicide! Nothing happens! Also, why is Redd White getting executed? How come I didn't know of this? 2 years is still pretty long imo.

Isaac is the true culprit?

That quote used tho.

The dots from Wright makes it sound like he's thinking of something. Rye = Maya?

"What is this?! Freddy Fazbears Animatronic Murder Hut?!" Yes. Yes it is. :calisto:

NOOOOOOOO THE DETECTIVE IS BACK.

Damn. He just stomped on my possiblity.

This feels talk. :l

Whydunnity =/= Whodunnit.
He murdered Mia. Whatta reason.

"Why is his reason stupid?" because Redd White's already on death row?
Yesss I got it right?
"The heart cannot be ignored, The heart is what makes us human." Athena, is that you?
I got it right! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

NO. WRIGHT. MOTIVE CHANGES EVERYTHING. DANGIT

That repeat of the beginning of trial.

oh. Rye = Maya. I was... right/wrong?
Nick :^)

Honestly, the Judge reminds me of something else. The evidence that wasn't made clear, I'm still having doubts about the autopsy. Did you just put 9:15-9:35 as a typo? But 9 and 10 are different. 9 = 1 digit. 10 = 2 digit. hardly an error honestly... eh it appears i lost anyway.

Dang you and your feels trial, Engima+DWaM.

"And yet, here we are."
"Yes... here we are."

T^T...

"I've seen great men fall. Most of those falls were by your hand, now that I think about it..." lol judge..... so gullible :3

Welp, harsh judge did seem kinda weird.
But at least that point is clear up.
He was disappointed.

welp. is this end of trial? Sad day.

Oh. Welp. Rye(?) snapped.

Rye's nametag changed to Maya. Hmm...

That hair removal.

One shot time. Full penalty. dang u.

Gonna go with my hunch here, and bring up the autopsy report. if i get it wrong, then screw me.

waiting...

The bar didn't deplete.

"Oh.
My.
God."

Welp.

"I mean... Yes? This is good?" Wut. Rye(?) is confused too! Yayyyy
"I mean, no, it's dumb! It's... It's insane!" Yes. And we were all too foolish it find it out in the beginning.

"When did you arrive at the prison?" huh. everyone has bad memories. It's 10 o clock PM. Which is late for visiting hours.

oh.

"I arrived at around 10 PM". wow. edgeworth+judge+rye are all idiots for not being able to figure this out. .-.

"YOU KNEW." Oh god. Rye's miffed.

Timestamps, anyone? (Keys, anyone?)

THAT EDGEWORTH SPRITE.

"...This is a horrible dream and I cannot wake up." Jeez, that's a bit over the top. Calm yourself!

Detective? Wut.

"...This is a hallucination. I'm not really here." A bit... over the top, Edgeworth. Calm down!

SUCH PLOT TWIST.
Edgeworth seems confused that he missed this. well, he is sleep deprived. whatever.

oh, i need to present who killed Redd White? Well, it was OBVIOUSLY Maya. (NO PENTALY HYPE)

oh. EXTRA DIALOGUE!

Right, Rye(?) shouldn't forget that. lel.

Oh my, I can implicate myself.

That dialogue, what the? XD

How's the cocaine?! GAME CREATORS PLS!

hehehehehehheheheheh i can implicate edgeworth
Gumshoe :O

Welp, time to actually present Redd White. lel.
Suicidal White mission.

Lel. was i right?

"Pffft... Heh heh heh..." Wright, you didn't tamper with the evidence, did you? :O

That laughing sprite of Wright.

I was expecting Edgeworth to go:
"YOU KNEW? YOU KNEW ALL THSI TIME AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US? YOU BASTARD!" and then go murdering everyone in the court. eh.
Of course he knew from the start. Dang Wright.
Creators... :objection: I don't think it's a waste of time. It gave me a reason to procrastanate my work even further! The trial actually built upon characters, especially Rye(?)
If Wright's a downright psychopath, then I must be a god of crazy demonic evil stuff.
The Belt man. The Belt.

oh. he's srs. does that mean he's gonna kill everyone by blowing up the courtroom?
Whow. Wright's in Fuzzy Mode too!
Hmm... Wright's doubting the system?
"Wright you confessed!'
"I did NO such thing, Edgeworth!" Actually, Wright's right. All he did was repeat Edgeworth's arguement in a summary.
oh my god.
everyone's mind just blew up.

did wright just become gavin?

well, at least Wright's innocent.

Right?

Rye(?)'s hair is moved to the side again.

Well, Wright's Not Guilty. Boo. No Confetti and cheering. worst case ever.

----Post Trial----
Wright's still trolling with us. You pleb.
Mia spirit cam? :O
"Is it truly worth it?" Of course it was! Everything has a happy ending. If you allow it to be happy.

"Strange all things considered..." wait, what? Did Maya do something to Mia to make it sound strange?

Love the music.

Mini Maya?
Same Pearl sprite location-ning :3
The vase :^)
She broke the vase. Derp.
"Oh ****". Don't say swears Mia :^)
Awwwwwwwwww. Sweet music+dialogue :)
Yes Wright. Break the lock to open the closed office instead of calling Mia.
Wright's a genius? More like a mastermind.
"Present their case like a Von Karma."? That's... a weird way of putting it out there. Since Von Karma's cases were riddled with lies and forged evidence. but they were perfect(?)
Way to ignore your sister's questions Mia.

oh. Maya murdered Mia didn't she?
Mia survived the inital attack... so... that leaves Maya. And Wright. But the beginning cutscene (The start of this entire case) shows that Wright found Maya crying over Mia's body.

So... Maya killed Mia? That's pretty depresing.
Oh god. Maya went fuzzy mode. .-.
She's going to pick up the thinker
and kill Mia.

Welp, Maya's angry.

dangit. she's holding it.
Maya don't do it! :l
"To hell with you and your stupid clan!" Maya??? You're IN That clan! You pleb!
Dat music.
Mia's still alive? Whow she's strong.
Oh, she's not getting out of this one.
Take care of Phoenix? huh.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand she's ded.

Cue Wright entering... etc.
"Chief? Chief?" I knew it.
Maya panick mode vision.
oh, you confessed to Wright.
And then he made you go?
Aww. Poor Maya :(

Ok. split road decision here.

I'm guessing "Go In" = Good ending.
"Leave" = Bad ending?

Eh, I'm tired now. I suppose I'll choose Go In. This stuff is depressing already. Lel.

*Enter dat room*

Ok, door swing.
Ahhh, this is familiar. AJ:AA Familiarities confirmed!
Hi Wright.
oh. Wright already knows. And Rye(?) is unfazed by that.

Yep, it turned out Pretty Sweet if you ask me :^)
Wright, your plan was actually genious.
Aww. Wright and Maya/Rye(?) bonding is amazing :)
"If it gave me the chance to talk to you again? Yeah. Absolutely." Bonds man. Bonds!
Oh. Welp, it looks like Wright and Maya/Rye(?) were in the same situation. Walls turning into cells.
Rye(?)'s confused that Wright's just saying... "It's all right now. The future awaits!"
Aww. Rye(?)'s crying. QUICK WRIGHT. COMFORT HER!

oh. it ends here?

Wow, what a great trial with a nice message. :phoenix:

oh. it hasn't ended. Trucy cameo!
"It turns out you were quite right." Lel Trucy op.
"...no offense, but you look terrible!" I have had no sleep Trucy.
"...And if it had, I would've probably killed him before he ever left the Courthouse." Oh my god. Edgeworth...? I want a game centering around Edgeworth being the mastermind now. idk why.
Edgeworth wants rest. Awwww that's cute.

Oh, It's not the end?

uh... never mind? It is at the end?
It just looped me to another ending?
Did the game just loop me to a bad ending if I lost all my penalty bar?

What the? Creator(s), did I just bug myself out? Or was it something that happens?
Thanks for the great trial! I think I sorta spoiled myself by figuring out the whole
Autopsy error
taht early on, but it honestly didn't come to bite me till muchhh later on. I played it all in a day, so the events were pretty fresh, particularly events that poked out as odd.
Rye(?) as Maya came as a building hunch, the trial gave many hints to it, but never flat out pointed to it until the end. Unless you counted the Profiles similarity. (Although that might just be me.)
The whole ending choices was a nice touch. Until it looped me back to a penalty ending at the end. Which was weird. Wright seemed more like 'Chessmaster AJ:AA Wright' than the 'Dual Destinies Back to bluffing Wright', which was cool. I find that Wright seemed to have... downgraded from AJ:AA to DD. :(

Loved the case overall. Was not hard, but not overly easy, just for casual case players. The 'Whodunnit' near the end of the trial, where we selected the profiles was hilarious. You could pick everyone, which was just funny. Including Edgeworth. xD

The humor was great, the reference to FnaF was just funny, the case was complicated at first but unraveled itself, and the messages of the story and the storyline was great.

Truly a great piece of work. Was worth the weight lel

...thanks for reading this hugely long blob of text.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

this time I only took a moderately long time rather than an absurdly long time, yay
Spoiler : SoC :
Imma play in v6. If you want people to play in v5 then give the link to v5 zzz
Is that Erlenmeyer’s cell?
I think I’d like a nametag for the opening monologue, even if it’s just “???”, but that’s a minor point.
Visitors Room
Dat “Me.”
Consider adding evidence types and gender/age.
Put commas inside quotes kthxbai
But that sweatshirt covers your glorious abs, how could they D:
I don’t think you need a space in (ex-)defense attorney.
“I’ve never actually…”
“I, um... Yeah. I did.” This line is pretty awkward because there was so much thought before it we’ve forgotten what she’s even responding to.
It reminds you of catcher in the rye. SHE’S A PHONY
God june you’re such a wreck, you’re putting your badge on your collar instead of your lapel? Just give up and become a waitress or something
I can’t tell if calling her Jane was intentional or a typo.
Boo
Okay, intentional. It was kind of weird how June didn’t respond to that at all. (Even if you just have her think something, but be too meek to actually say anything…)
(After finishing, it actually might be a nice touch for June to insist that her name is June Rye here, as another little pinch of foreshadowing.)
Put periods inside quotes kthxbai
You just can’t let Maya have a break can you
Just “should I,” not “should I’ve”
Detention center guard should take off his shirt too
The profiles seem… a bit exposition-heavy.
There’s two double-spaces in the first frame of the lobby scene.
Emoworth
More double-spaces
I bet that you’ve met with a terrible fate
Whoa there Space Dandy
Man the CE music and Tortimer’s theme music are so different
What’s so difficult to understand about AMERICAN?
Okay when you say “the missy” the m shouldn’t be capitalized. And when you just refer to him as “detective,” the d should be capitalized. Get your capitalization in order, c’mon man.
Y’know, a “toxin” and a “drug” are different…
Those are some high bars
I like it better when music ends at the end of the fade-out, rather than the beginning
It was… REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY
IT WAS KWANDO
How is “for teh lulz” not good enough??? (also I clicked the joke answer again)
Why are there so many double-spaces
June says “Unless you have evidence…” And Edgey says “I guess I’ll have to do exactly that.” What June said wasn’t really an action…
I don’t think witnesses “stand trial”…
Pong takes up 2% of his entire memory? Wow
How is Isaac supposed to guard the entrance while patrolling the prison…?
The contradiction is kinda… eh. I’d make Isaac say “There was no way for ANYTHING to get into that cell without going past me first!” That’d make it a lot easier to get, especially since what June argues is pretty idiotic.
…I thought the bars got bent when Nick bashed Redd’s head against them. (I mean, that’s what he bashed Redd’s head against, right? Cuz there aren’t bars on the door, after all…)
To be honest, I expected this from Nick’s first testimony.
I really don’t see what was so unlikely about White committing suicide. Nick then just put the blood on himself and faked being unconscious cuz he’s silly :D
Isaac is still the killer! The person who manages the security footage messed with his programming to make him kill White! Since the footage of Isaac just sitting at the booth that night would be nothing but a still image basically, it’d be super-easy to fake.
No nametag on “(But then again...)”
Oh it’s intentional
*presided, not preceded
I was waiting for the eye.
Seriously? I was thinking about White’s ToD and when Nick visited the cell waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier in the trial. But the visitor list didn’t say when Nick had visited, so I figured it was just at around 9:30, but… jesus christ lmao.
The text speed on Nick’s laugh should prooobably be a bit faster.
Why are these “TAKE THAT”s using Nick’s voice clip? I understand when presenting the Visitor List/Isaac, but why for the belt too…?
Nick sure is lucky the autopsy report’s ToD said what it did.
Dat no cheering
Why was she “June” again for one frame?
So… Maya killed Mia?
Called it.
Well I was going to mention putting something about White’s body being cold when Nick got there to make things make more sense, but I guess you already did it xD
I guess lately all Hobonick seems to do is obsess over killers who got away with murder and trials with female defense attorneys lying about their identity.
Spoiler : Piece by piece :
Presentation and Bugs
'Twas fine.
Like I said, the profiles seemed a bit heavy handed exposition-y. Especially considering the info in them doesn't really become important for the most part (as compared to, for instance, Turnabouts of the Father), I really think they could be streamlined.
Evidence type and how received could be nice. Same for age/gender, but not really necessary. Age would be nice for immediately pegging down where in the timeline this takes place, though. It's clear enough by the end, but since it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be a twist or anything like that, I think it'd be better to just nail it down clearly at the beginning.

Writing and characterization
well this is what the whole case was about so
...The only thing that bugged me was "I hate you, Phoenix Wright!". Iunno, something about it was just off for me. Personally I think it should be "Nick," but since that'd reveal it too early, even just "Phoenix" might sound more natural.
It was nice having drama that actually pushed the characters forward and developed them rather than grimdark for the sake of grimdark

Proofreading and clarification
There were a few random typos, which I pointed out in the SoC. Besides that, the biggest recurring issues were:
-Random double-spaces between words
-Periods and commas outside quotes
-Improper capitalization (The golden rule is that if and only if you could replace the word with the person's name and the sentence would still be fine, it should be capitalized. So you get "I guess Chief has already gone home" and "I guess the chief has already gone home.")
Enth allowed the use of "bastard" in TotF, so I'm going to assume it's fine here too.

Sprites and graphics
all fine
sleepy edgey looked a bit more like emo edgey, but what are you gonna do
isaac would randomly phase out, but I think that's a general problem with custom sprites and I'm not sure what can be done
If possible, maybe try to bend the bars in the other direction in the photo, since if I understood it they bent from the weight of Redd's body (...or did Redd bend them himself somehow a few days before murder? I forget) which means they should bend inward.

Music and sound effects
it was fine
I liked how the objection theme had the splice of Turnabout Sisters, especially with the twist
Some of the tracks felt familiar and then when I looked at where they came from, I couldn't tell if I had actually remembered them or if I was being silly

I always get tripped up by the fact that there's no "Story" or "Logic" section or anything
I mean, it was... Well, the way things worked out were insane, but not really beyond the bounds of absurdity for AA/mystery.
I just felt the first ~third of the trial was a bit draggy and repetitive. only wright was there, nobody else could've gotten in, his story is absurd, all the evidence points to him, yadda yadda yadda we get it already. but changing it would probably require some pretty substantial streamlining, so w/e

This isn't really one of my favorite cases, but I don't think this is the type of case that was made for me. Even if it's not my cup of tea, it's solid without any glaring errors--actually, the 'co-council' conversation for isaac's testimony was really weirdly phrased and hard to understand. that annoyed me. but yeah
Spoiler : shsl plot twist :
★ The case is good enough to be featured. Please make the requested changes.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Quel surpris.

But congrats~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

kwando1313 wrote:Quel surpris.
told you it was shsl plot twist
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Bad Player wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:Quel surpris.
told you it was shsl plot twist
Was a twisted as a twisted pretzel. The twistiest of twists.

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Not exactly a plot twist, but congratulations!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Yeah, congrats! Like I said before, this was an awesome trial and it definitely deserves the featured status.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper