[M][CE] A Burned Man Walks Down The Desolate Corridor ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

[M][CE] A Burned Man Walks Down The Desolate Corridor ●

Post by DWaM »

Entry for the "Ace Everything Else Online" competition hosted by Gamer2002 and enigma

"And it's at this point that I realize... This isn't a nightmare.

It's a memory."

All of our paths are intertwined in some way. Every decision, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, has the potential to change not only our fate, but the lives of people we may not have even met or heard of, as well.

As the roar of the past echoes its way into the present, we find ourselves left with unanswered questions and perplexing mysteries. We really are so defiant to see the ties that bind us all.

But we don't have to be.

All we have to do... is walk down a certain corridor.
Spoiler : Premise :
The year is 2036.

Somewhere deep in the cold mountains of western Japanifornia, in the midst of the night, a man speeds on his snowmobile. He can't see anything before him. Yet, he isn't afraid. He's used to the danger. In fact, he adores it. Every aspect of his live has been based around it.

He drives with no particular destination in mind, unaware that a destination has been set for him already.

By next morning, the man will be dead.

His death will quickly prove to be a mystery to all but one man -- detective Joseph Sternwood.
Spoiler : Credits (Contains Minor Spoilers!) :
DWaM - Plot/Writing
hershel_layton - Plot Assistance, Bandaged!Apollo Sprites, Drawings, Proof-Reading
DragonTrainer - Amelia Wonderley's Sprites
Singidava - Helen's Sprites
Hesseldahl - Front Phoenix's Sprites
Spoiler : Custom Track List (In No Particular Order) :
Enni Morricone - White Dog
Ennio Morricone - Karol and Love
Kara no Shoujo - Reasoning
Kara no Shoujo - Investigation
Kara no Shoujo - Pursuit
Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Mind
Spoiler : Walkthrough (Has Spoilers and Stuff (duh) :
A Burned Man Walks Down the Desolate Corridor

-- Walkthrough --

As you might've noticed playing through, the game essentially revolves around choices and getting different endings. There's quite a few of them, but this walkthrough will help you get MOST of them. See, the thing is that some of these endings require changing a decision at the very beginning, then going back and playing through stuff you've already seen. This is the most efficient walkthrough, but it does have an option to go through the tedious parts on certain sections if you want to explore other endings.

The <Save X> thing is referring on saving on the frame that's referred to right below the icon. While the game does offer you the option of reverting to your previous decisions, sometimes saving is just faster. There is a single True Ending. To reach it, you must complete Endings 5 and 10, then follow the instructions listed below the ones for Ending 11. However, I'd rather you see as much options as possible. Also, keep in mind that after reaching the true end - the game is over.

Also, a lot of these endings (at least, certain endings paths) can be reached through a variety of options. I just chose the ones I happened to stumble across first while checking the editor.

---
Prelude isn't interactive

Examine the card on the floor and the body

Say nothing
Tell the truth

<Save 1>
Suicide
I just didn't notice it
Present the strange letter [ENDING 1 - SUICIDE]

<Load Save 1>
Murder
Present the key

Examine the bookshelf to the left and a part just below the TV (the drawer) to the right. After that, examine more things and the section will automatically end.

<Save 2>
Suicide or Accident [ENDING 2 - A DEAD END]

<Load Save 2>
Murder
Present Sleeping Pills

<Save 3>
Present Sternwood's Profile
Present the Strange Letter [ENDING 3 - A NIGHTMARE]

<Load Save 3>
Present Helen's Profile
Present the Ripped Parking Ticket

<Save 4>
Stay [ENDING 4 - WRAPPED UP]

<Load Save 4>
Leave
Present the letter
Present Helen's Profile
Select anything
Examine the a table/shelf thing to the left
Present the letter [ENDING 5 - ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL]

Start Over

(OPTIONAL PART)

Suggest
Present the card
Tell the truth

Suicide
I just didn't see it
De Killer didn't do it, the card was planted
Present the key
De Killer was really framed
Someone else

Examine the bookshelf to the left and a part just below the TV (the drawer) to the right. After that, examine more things and the section will automatically end.

Murder
Present the sleeping pills
Present Helen's profile
Present the ripped parking ticket
Stay
Examine the card on the desk [ENDING 6 - A VISITOR]

Start Over

Say nothing
Lie like a dog

Murder
Present the key

Murder
Present the sleeping pills
Present Helen's profile
Present the ripped parking ticket
Stay [ENDING 7 - PARANOIA]

Start Over

Suggest
Present the key
Tell the truth

Suicide
Someone took it
Present the key
It was done after the door was broken down
Present Kristoph's Profile

Examine one of the drawers of the evidence room (you'll get it, it's to the right)
Examine the bookshelf to the left

Tell Wright everything [ENDING 8 - INTO THE MIST]

Start Over

(END OF OPTIONAL PART)

Suggest
Present the key
Tell the truth

Murder
Present the key
It was done after the door was broken down
Present Kristoph's Profile

Examine one of the drawers of the evidence room (you'll get it, it's to the right)
Examine the bookshelf to the left

<Save 5>
Lie [ENDING 9 - HANDS IN THE AIR]

<Load Save 5>
Tell Wright Everything
You're wrong (Picking the other one leads to a short pointless bad end)
Yes
Select either [ENDING 10 - GOTCHA?]

Start Over

Suggest
Present the card
Lie like a dog

Murder
Present the key
Present Shelly de Killer's Profile
No way [TO BE CONTINUED - THE BODY BAG]

Start Over

Suggest
Present the card
Tell the truth

Murder
Present the key
Present Shelly de Killer's Profile
No way

This is the [TRUE ENDING] path. There is no way to fail from this point on.
Last edited by DWaM on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Re: [M][CE] A Burned Man Walks Down The Desolate Corridor ●

Post by Reecer6 »

I haven't played it yet, but Question: is the man burned because the corridor is outfitted with microwaves?
Last edited by Reecer6 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

play to find out! : D
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

The intrigue was just too much for me! I needed to find out the exact microwave content of this case! And here's my SoC.
Spoiler : Stream :
*ah, yes, phoenix wright
*...oh, he's actually phoenix wright. this is canon character time.
*Boy, Ema's theme is certainly different in this canon.
*the incredibly common authenticity sin of mentioning an actual year in ace attorney. granted, given the competition, authenticity is the last thing you're going for, but it STILL PEEVES ME
*i bet an owner did it and they took the SECRET MOUNTAIN PATH
*...Trenchcoat and fedora? WE'RE PLAYING AS GREGORY EDGEWORTH WHO FAKED HIS OWN DEATH ~36 YEARS AGO
*No profiles so far? At all? Not even a detective badge in my court record I mean organizer?
*"So, you think it's a murder? Tell me... tell me who the suspect is. I'll make sure they... *cracks neck* aren't a problem. "
*This must be the desolate corridor they talked about. The corridor... of letting known assassins just walk away from potential foul play.
*ooh there's mysterious backstory hereeeeeee that i don't understand
*What a great end. Protagonist screws the rules and goes home.
*There's a man. He's burned. And then he walks down this desolate corridor.
*If there's two people in the corridor besides the man, it's hardly desolate!
-----------------------------------
*Apollo has EVOLVED and is now EVEN MORE HEAVILY COVERED IN BANDAGES
*Man, for all his age, he still looks 23. Even with the severe burns. Somehow. Maybe the burns inhibited his aging.
*I'm assuming Kristoph took advantage of some amnesia-like state Apollo had and took him in again?
*Ooh, this is original art? Neat!
*Day 1? This is either a dating sim or a Chzo Mythos game, and either way it's good.
*"Something caught my eye. It was that the entire newspaper was in Japanese. Janet Hsu didn't do a very good job of localizing this."
*Huh, I would've expected that, after Kristoph told him that he would arrest him tomorrow, that Sternwood would've stayed in his home and come quick to introduce us.
*Kristoph is known for having such an outstanding nose that he can not only smell blood, but also tens of meters away through a solid door, and in trace amounts.
*My reaction exactly, Apollo. Sigh.
*wait, so does this take place after the canon timeline or not? because i can't imagine any series of events where an independant lawyer!nick would ever want to be in the same room as kristoph. hobo!nick, certainly, but not lawyer!nick.
*Looks like the precinct was upgraded! Presuming it was ever as it looked like in the aa series!
*please stop standing a bit to the side, fellows. it's freaking me out, and i won't tell if you have to stand on some guy's desk.
*Half of the court record are people whose faces I don't know. Please reveal yourself to me, victims and deKiller, thanks. I need to clean this court record up.
*I mean, we KNOW it's deKiller. There's his card, right there.
*...Although, nothing was said about the card being at Wonderley's death, and obviously the killer sent that letter, so it's probably not him.
*SPOOKY MYSTERIOUS MENTAL DISORDERS THAT BORDER ON MAGIC!!!! MAYBE! I'm assuming here. I hope it borders on magic.
*Kristoph has transformed into a 16-year-old girl!
*With all these detectives, I'm beginning to see that the main difference between this and Ace Attorney is that this is actually Ace Detective.
*Hey, you're probably going to get some insurance pay-outs! That's always a good thing!
*...There's GOTTA be a pun in "Helen Nell" but I'm totally missing it. As far as I know, a Helinal is not a thing. Or L.N.L.
*I really like how we're SO CLOSE to talking about Mr. Nell's murder but we keep missing all the connections.
*........little orphan ammie
*I'm honestly hurt I can't ask about EITHER of the potted plants in the room.
*With how bright those windows are, I'm pretty sure seeing into the room past the glare would be basically impossible. In real life, anyway.
*Oh no, I misclicked somewhere that I already clicked and then the investigation ended! Was this actually timed??? CURSE YOU, KRISTOPH, WITH YOUR IMPLIED TIMERS
*OH NO I COULDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION WITH MY PARKING TICKET
*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I NEED TO GO BACK oh thank god it's so easy
*A second time, all I found was the ticket again. BACK AGAIN, FOUR MINUTES BEFORE I DIE, METAPHORICALLY
*I would've considered that the TV lead to the same place as the cupboard, but okay, guess I found some pills. Better tell Louis.
*The investigation ended right after... but I'm not convinced. TIME MACHINE GO
*Okay, I'm convinced now. It doen't seem like I can click anywhere else. And alright, the pill bottle works! Now I can say it's totally murder because someone parked here on the 21st and it wasn't the victim because she can't drive, right?
*Erring on the side of getting the truth as quickly as possible is ALWAYS the right decision!
*Getting sued is a pretty reasonable outcome to this, really. But what if we hirED AN ACEA TTOEREY
*Forget who? Who's this man with the stitches talking to me in my dreams?
*A single untimed frame of nothing but darkness. Quite poetic.
*Yo, Shellster, stop killing everyone, thanks.
*That was a bad ending??? What?? It was great! Also, my last decision was ages ago!
*Fine, I'll let justice slip through my fingers.
*"D'oh! I let Kristoph have the parking ticket!" *canned laughter*
*Who would've guessed that Kristoph was the real killer (or at least an accomplice)? He's such an upstanding man! No track record of anything like this!
*seriously, what's with the garlic thing. is wario the killer? ...oh my god, wario's the killer. WARIO, WHY?????
*Does garlic actually smell like iron? ...What does iron even smell like? It's a metal.
*"What happened here?" "Oh, you know how periods are..."
*"A hitch"? oh no nick's dead too i bet. CURSE YOU, WARIO
*Every suspect is dead... except for APOLLO HIMSELF, HE MURDERED EVERYONE
*Wait, that's seriously an end too? Jeeze, I'm awful at being Apollo Justice.
*...Was I NOT supposed to find the right answer to the deductiony thing? What a cleverly counter-intuitive solution! If that's indeed right!
*Wait, no, then the game ends even sooner.
*...Huh. I guess this is really the end. The end... of the desolate corridor.
*And that's how my story ends. Every single person related to the crime is dead, and I have absolutely no information that could lead me anywhere new. I'll never know exactly happened to Amelia on that garlic-y October weekend in her apartment in downtown Los Angeles, because as far as everyone else is concerned, I'm just a burned man walking down the desolate corridor.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I finished it.

That was good.

Um, that ending, though.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@Reecer: Well, you've only seen part of the story.

The time machine demands satisfaction. You must go deeper.

Also
Spoiler : Your SoC :
Helen Nell
@kwando: Thanks for playing!

was the ending great or what
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I'll probably do some sort of thoughts thing like pretty much always when I've finished it, but just so I don't forget, there's a bug in a route not covered in the walkthrough.
Spoiler : hit me with the details, boss :
On the route to ending 6, instead of "de Killer didn't do it, it was planted," choose "I was wrong, it was murder." Either of the options afterwards lead to immediate game overs.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Bug's fixed.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

DWaM wrote:Bug's fixed.
Now how about the grammar? :P
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

NEVER
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh yeah, there were some places that probably were supposed to have wait timers that didn't...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

It is actually slightly annoying that there are times when if you happen to not click outside the wait timer box and just go directly to setting up the background/fade, the input input will be ignored >_>

Anyway, I'll fix it. Would appreciate someone giving me the places, but I'll comb through when I have the time.
Spoiler : one quick note about the walkthrough :
(Oh, right, also, forgot to add in one line in the walkthrough when heading towards ending 10. It's there now)
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh
Spoiler : :
You really need to add in something that hints to endings 5 and 10 being necessary for full completion when you get to them, because since I didn't know that, and since there was no VLR-style timeline tree (or even a 999-style go really really fast button) that made this sort of stuff bearable, I kind of need to go through the ENTIRETY of ending 5 again to get to the true ending and honestly, that's just too much for me. It looks great, but I guess the only way I'm going to experience it is through the editor.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
PhoenixRises123

Post by PhoenixRises123 »

I just finished playing, and I gotta say, I really enjoyed this one. I remember when I posted that DWaM might be making a super secret grimdark project of despair..AND I WAS RIGHT! This case really reminded me of cascade theater in SO many ways. I think there might be even more endings in this than CT, I still haven't gotten all endings.. But still it's great to to see ya again DWaM! :D
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@Reecer6

I'm sorry you feel that way.
I would've personally liked the thing being experienced through the actual player, especially because of the stuff that went in for the effects and whatnot. Iunno, could just be me, but it's really not the same.

Also, I'm personally unsure as to how you landed in this problem. Did you get to end 5, not know what it was and then just reload a save?

Unfortunately, a tree system following your progress is night impossible for me. It's also something that would have to be implemented at available at any time which is, impossible to do, at least in this case. Which means that the only time available would be after getting an ending, which defeats the point, in my opinion. An idea is a semi-investigation that move and conversation options unlocked the more you play or something. I don't know. I'll think on it.

I can definitely add a hint, but still - a shame. Especially since every ending can be reached in 5 minutes if you're fast enough. But oh well.
@PhoenixRises123

Glad you liked it!
I don't really think it's grimdark at all, really. Like, there really is no true misery or despair that could be argued is in all of my previous cases. It's a detective story. All it has is grit, in my mind. There are subjects of pain and suffering, but they're never really pushed forward to the poitn where they control or dictate how the story works. They are merely there to help you understand the plot and the characters a bit more.